Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: ratings_episode_999,999 [+] [View All]
John Johnson
United States
Hopewell
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never played Through the Ages, but it's sad to see Twilight Struggle drop in the rankings again from #1 to #3 in the course of a year.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it is falling into the normal life cycle of a 10 years old game.

It's still number 1, in my personal ranking
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Roger's Reviews: check out my reviews page, right here on BGG!
badge
Caution: May contain wargame like substance
mbmbmbmbmb
Good for TtA.

#cloakofindifference
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl Kreder
United States
Nuevo
California
flag msg tools
Founder of the The Wargame Bootcamp
badge
My hero Grumpy Bonaparte
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyonthespot1 wrote:
I've never played Through the Ages, but it's sad to see Twilight Struggle drop in the rankings again from #1 to #3 in the course of a year.

Still #1 on the War Game Ranks...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Boehland
United States
Apple Valley
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mb
There's been plenty bigger drops. That My Little Pony game went from #1 to #12,071 and is the #2393 wargame.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francisco Gutierrez
United States
Burbank
California
flag msg tools
"A pilot's greatest virtue is to know when to run" -- "What's this, a joke?"
mbmbmbmbmb
zeotter wrote:

Still #1 on the War Game Ranks...

And isn't that all that really matters

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Cannone
Italy
Cerignola
Foggia
flag msg tools
Oh yeah!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I use to play both and believe me...they deserve #1 place together with Agricola!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
johnnyonthespot1 wrote:
I've never played Through the Ages, but it's sad to see Twilight Struggle drop in the rankings again from #1 to #3 in the course of a year. :(

Personally I think it would be sad if any game stayed #1 indefinitely - it would indicate that the hobby is not moving forward and that newer games are not getting better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DominiGeek
Dominican Republic
Santo Domingo
D.N.
flag msg tools
mbmb
Seghillian wrote:
johnnyonthespot1 wrote:

Personally I think it would be sad if any game stayed #1 indefinitely - it would indicate that the hobby is not moving forward and that newer games are not getting better.

I agree with you, but,

Out comes Twilight Struggle in comes ... Pandemic Legacy?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rollo Tomosi
United States
San Juan Capistrano
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried the old/original "Through the Ages" one time and it was so damn fiddly that I finally got to that 'box it up and get RID of it' point....is the newer version all that much better? I thought I had taken a pretty good look at it and didn't see anything earthshakingly different....

#prefersNations
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
rubendario5 wrote:
Seghillian wrote:

Out comes Twilight Struggle in comes ... Pandemic Legacy?

Pandemic Legacy is my lowest rated game on BGG, but after playing it I understand why the masses would eat it up.

The meteoric rise of TtA is a little more shocking. It's another game I dislike, but this one I don't understand why most others do like it. It's fiddly and long with a high degree of randomness. For the length of time and complexity, I can think of many other titles I'd rather table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerrit Hellfaier
Germany
Berlin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First World Problems

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why so many people give such concern over a rank of 3 vs 1... given how many games are in the BGG database. 85 thousand + and counting.

Also, the ranking doesn't mean one game is "better" than the other, it means more people like it better than the other.

Pandemic Legacy is an outstanding game experience and certainly deserves its top ranking, as much as many think it's an anomaly of some kind.

People said the same about Agricola when it was #1.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Kinney
Canada
Surrey
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:
I tried the old/original "Through the Ages" one time and it was so damn fiddly that I finally got to that 'box it up and get RID of it' point....is the newer version all that much better? I thought I had taken a pretty good look at it and didn't see anything earthshakingly different....

#prefersNations

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Civilization is my #1, now and forever. Too many good experiences with it for anything to ever top it.

(Although I quite like Twilight Struggle; and it's entirely possible that my wife one day will play it with me, unlike Civ. Hasn't happened yet though.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tampa
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
Civilization is my #1, now and forever. Too many good experiences with it for anything to ever top it.

(Although I quite like Twilight Struggle; and it's entirely possible that my wife one day will play it with me, unlike Civ. Hasn't happened yet though.)

Do you play Civ or Advance Civ? I agree, great, great, great game... but not one that I am able to play that often.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Snooze Fest
United States
Hillsborough
North Carolina
flag msg tools
We love our pups!! Misu, RIP 28 Nov 2010. Tikka, RIP 11 Aug 2011.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:

#prefersNations

You still have those little bits to move around, and the card row to deal with -- I think those were what most people found to be too fiddly. However, the updates in the game mechanisms, subtle as they were, did enough to streamline things quite a bit. Also, the new production is better so that those little bits are much easier to handle. If you're a fan of the original, I think the upgrade is definitely worth considering. But if you prefer Nations, there may be no hope for you shake !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Drazen
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:

#prefersNations

Corruption is now calculated before production, which makes it require less calculation. The cards have been rebalanced; military is no longer the purely dominant strategy. I like both. The new version seems to play at least 30 minutes faster and is very quick with two. The cards seem nicer. The components are vastly improved (cubes, not tictacs). I think it's faster and more streamlined, but it's still a 2-4 hour game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Gillispie
United States
Chamblee
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pilotbob wrote:
scottgillispie wrote:

Do you play Civ or Advance Civ? I agree, great, great, great game... but not one that I am able to play that often.

I have Civ; I do not have Advanced Civ - although I do have the expansion trade good and advance cards, and I once had the WEM, although it has been lost in the mists of time (I think water damage got it about 20 years ago); so probably could basically play Advanced Civ if I wanted. But really, I have an 11 yr old and an 8 yr old - I play a lot of 6 nimmt! and Sushi Go! now, alas...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I like board games more than most people.
United States
Northlake
Illinois
flag msg tools
When I die I want people to look at the condition of my games and say, "Man, he really played these alot."
mbmbmb
Malleus_Berlin wrote:
First World Problems

Did you expect something different from a site dedicated to board games?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scottgillispie wrote:
probably could basically play Advanced Civ if I wanted. But really, I have an 11 yr old and an 8 yr old - I play a lot of 6 nimmt! and Sushi Go! now, alas...

Don't underestimate them - I used to play Civ with a 7 and 9 year old and their mum - they loved it. Sometimes the game would stay set up on the table for several days on end, as we played through a couple of hours or so per session. (I tended to "cheat" with the calamities so that they didn't have to suffer them too severely!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alan
Brazil
Interior de São Paulo
São Paulo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dark_Knight wrote:

#prefersNations

I played it thrice before I reached the same conclusion of getting rid of it.

However, I ve been playing it on BGO and the game is a blast (I didn't have the opportunity to play a physical copy)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Malleus_Berlin wrote:
First World Problems

The line of first refuge for people who have nothing to contribute to a thread.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
"L'état, c'est moi."
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Venser wrote:
The meteoric rise of TtA is a little more shocking. It's another game I dislike, but this one I don't understand why most others do like it. It's fiddly and long with a high degree of randomness. For the length of time and complexity, I can think of many other titles I'd rather table.

The meteoric rise of the new TtA is easy to explain - fans of TtA classic who loved the original were more likely to buy, like, and rate highly the new version.

People that didn't were unlikely to do any of those three, especially the last one.

Pandemic Legacy has a similar knock on effect in that people that liked Pandemic were likely to dive right in and like it and rate it highly.

This pattern has repeated itself frequently, like with the collectors edition of War of the Ring or the collectors edition of Puerto Rico. You're only noticing TtA because it's suddenly #1 in the (overall meaningless) rankings.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve M
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Posted this in the Top 100 Analysis, but curious..

I know the horse is already dead, but how is a game with an average rating of 8.92 over less than 4K votes considered a higher rank than a game with an average rating of 8.36 with nearly 24K votes? Does the volume of votes account for anything?

additionally since I'm in the midst of TS fans..

I think TtA is a decent game but extremely fiddly as was mentioned. Gave it a solid 7 myself. The revised edition would certainly have a much higher rating as anyone who walked away from TtA is not going to rate it, so only people who loved the original are going to rate it (and they're going to rate it a 10).

Pandemic Legacy however.. I give Pandemic an 8 (was a 9 but my interest has waned over time), but Legacy my group and I could not get through. Made it to September before wrapping up, it just didn't hold up. I don't think 10K votes should be rated as a better indication of a game's ranking over a game with 24K votes. Rated it a 5 after all was said and done, although I was initially rating it a 7/8.

Twilight Struggle is still a solid 10, 50 games in. I want to play this all the time. I've shown it to 4-5 of my friends who all bought copies and want to play often. A good friend of mine moved away and the highlight of the year is the digital implementation so we can continue playing the best game of all time!!! :D

I know it's just a stupid ranking system, but numbers... numbers!!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.