Nicholas Meola
United States
Orlando
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
The rules are not clear, I would guess the unopposed and renown come from the pool and not the opposing player.

We just played our first game and was very confused on where the power tokens come.

If I understand the rules, if a challenge goes unopposed, the attacker gets the unopposed bonus but the challenge itself is neither wins, So no loss of character in military, no discard in intrigue and no power token in power challenge.

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Drew Thomson
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is the end; hold your breath and count to ten; feel the earth move and then; hear my heart burst again
badge
"We are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven; that which we are, we are; one equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will to strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield." - Tennyson
mbmbmbmbmb
oraclenick wrote:
The rules are not clear, I would guess the unopposed and renown come from the pool and not the opposing player.

We just played our first game and was very confused on where the power tokens come.

If I understand the rules, if a challenge goes unopposed, the attacker gets the unopposed bonus but the challenge itself is neither wins, So no loss of character in military, no discard in intrigue and no power token in power challenge.

Thanks!

Unopposed and renown comes from the pool.

And no, if it`s unopposed, the attacker still wins and claim must be applied.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

To supplement Drew's answers, let me see if I can help you out with a rules reference, since finding it in the rulebook can be a struggle!

First, although I personally take to the style and method of clarity that FFG presents in their Rules References, I get that a lot of people don't! So while those of us who've played this game for a while just "know" what Drew said, I agree that it can sometimes be challenging to actually find the rule written in the rule book!

But it's there. So, here you go... Using the Rules Reference book:

Page 22, "Unopposed Challenge": "When a player wins an unopposed challenge as the attacker, that player gains 1 power for his or her faction card."

You'll note that I bolded two words as they're both key to correctly interpreting this rule... "gains" and, "faction card". If you haven't already noticed, the Rules Reference is more of a glossary than a rulebook. The problem with it is that unlike other glossaries, any word that has it's own entry isn't called out as such. So you sort of have to assume that any word that may hinge on your understanding of a rule, has its own entry. That's not always the case with the Rules Reference, but mostly it is.

And luckily, it is the case here. Thusly you'll see that "Gains" has its own entry on page 9. It says, "If a player gains power for a card under his or her control, the player takes the specified amount of power from the treasury and adds it to the card."

And of course, when we refer back to the "Unopposed Challenge" rule on page 22, "the card" referenced immediately above is your faction card!

So finally, by referencing and combining both entries cited above, it is written that the player who wins an unopposed challenge takes 1 power from the treasury and adds it to his faction card, known as an "unopposed bonus".

And regarding your second question, again to supplement Drew's answer, you'll find your answer by combining two references again... the entry for "Unopposed Challenge" on page 22, and the description of Step 4.2.2 of the Challenges Phase, on the bottom of page 28.

I hope this helps. I apologize if I came across as talking down, but I know a lot of new players sometimes struggle with the Rules Reference book until they get a better feel for the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Meola
United States
Orlando
FL
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks for the information.

Appreciate the detailed explanation as well. Seems like all the rules in the reference are well documented. Just need to read them a bit closer
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Yeah, I spent two days carefully reading every entry like a nerd, and with highlighter in hand!

So now when I go to my local store tournament a couple times a year, I may not win any of my games, but I got the rules down!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben yar
msg tools
oraclenick wrote:

Thanks!

While everything else was clarified:

"Neither Wins" will only happen if attack and defense end at 0, or with certain card effects (In the Name of Your King! event, For The Watch! plot are the examples I can remember). Barring those card effects, if either side resolves the challenge with a strength greater than 0, there will be a winner.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.