Through the Ages: A Story of Civilization» Forums » General

Subject: 5 Players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Noah Bears
Canada
flag msg tools
Hi there,

I am thinking about getting this game, but our game group is 5 people (slightly inconvenient, but its still fun). Anyways, the obvious question is this; is there any possible way you could see this game being played with 5 people?

Thanks and God bless

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just a rumor here, but when I talked to them at BGG con last year they said they were considering adding a 5th player in an upcoming expansion. I've no idea if they will actually do it, but I think it would be a nice addition.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Engelstein
United States
Bridgewater
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
The Fog of War! Available now!
badge
Ludology Host and Dice Tower Contributor
mbmbmbmbmb
Disagree. The game is already much worse at four than three. Can't see five being worthwhile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
engelstein wrote:
Disagree. The game is already much worse at four than three. Can't see five being worthwhile.

I disagree with your disagreement. The four player game is much better than the three player game. A five player version would probably improve the game even more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This must be settled! There is a best number, and those who foolishly prefer an inferior number must be shamed for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bears
Canada
flag msg tools
Way to make a newb confused...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just to clarify for anyone who has never even seen the components, there is currently no way to play a 5-player game, and no easy way to house-rule the game to make a 5-player game possible. What may become possible with future expansions is not known.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bears
Canada
flag msg tools
Saw this, haven't read it yet just bookmarked... http://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/76941/new-rules-new-pu...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bradshaw
United Kingdom
Newcastle Upon Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgrizzlie33 wrote:
is there any possible way you could see this game being played with 5 people?

Well it might be POSSIBLE at a squeeze. You would need to make an extra player mat - they're identical so a photocopy would do - and supply some extra cubes. The cards might run out too rapidly with 5 players taking them every turn - I can't think what else might change.

So it might be possible - a more apt question is would it be worthwhile? VERY doubtful IMHO. The downtime in this great game is high. I'm happy to play 4 player online, but face to face 3p is my limit. With 5 players you would want another game going on at the side that could be played during the downtime.

Get the game, and agree to play it only when one or more of your group is sick or on holiday etc!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
sfox wrote:
Just a rumor here, but when I talked to them at BGG con last year they said they were considering adding a 5th player in an upcoming expansion. I've no idea if they will actually do it, but I think it would be a nice addition.
I've never heard that said, so whoever said that I'm not sure they got their information right. I was at BGGCON, so I know it wasn't me, but 5p has never been part of any discussion I've been in about the game
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DaviddesJ wrote:
This must be settled! There is a best number, and those who foolishly prefer an inferior number must be shamed for it.

TTA is a 3 player game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kasper Lauest
Denmark
Helsinge
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TTA is strictly 2-3 players, in my view. Unless you play online.

For anyone who hasn't tried TTA: The game gets loooooooong with massive downtime if you play more than 3 players. Don't do it! I've seen players who think it is the best game ever designed at 2-3 players, actively hate the game at 4 players. I'm not saying that everybody on the planet will hate it at 4, but there is fairly strong consensus that 2-3 is best. One shouldn't even toy with the idea of playing 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We do at least have some numbers:

Players___Best___________Recommended___Not Recommended
2_______29.0% (155)____63.1% (337)_____7.9% (42)
3_______70.4% (404)____27.5% (158)_____2.1% (12)
4_______23.1% (121)____45.5% (238)_____31.4% (164)
5+______0.7% (2)_______1.1% (3)________98.1% (262)

So that's 68.4% of the people who bothered to rate it at least recommending 4 players.

It's not clear whether everyone who doesn't recommend 5+ is doing so because the game doesn't support it or because the downtime would be awful, but the downtime would be pretty horrendous for any group that isn't extremely experienced and lightning fast. Also, the game doesn't support it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As there are far better 2 player games out there, TTA is a 3 player game.
Thanks for proving my point.
End of discussion.

ninja
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darrell Hanning
United States
Jacksonville
Florida
flag msg tools
We will meet at the Hour of Scampering.
mbmbmbmbmb
In playing this game FtF since the 2nd edition came out (about 50 times), playing time per player is about 40 minutes for 2 players, 50-60 minutes for 3 players, and 60-70 minutes for 4 players. So, I'd think you're looking at 70-80 minutes per player with 5, which would come out to 6-7 hours for 5.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nacho Facello
Uruguay
Montevideo
Montevideo
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BlueSwan wrote:
TTA is strictly 2-3 players, in my view. Unless you play online.

For anyone who hasn't tried TTA: The game gets loooooooong with massive downtime if you play more than 3 players. Don't do it! I've seen players who think it is the best game ever designed at 2-3 players, actively hate the game at 4 players. I'm not saying that everybody on the planet will hate it at 4, but there is fairly strong consensus that 2-3 is best. One shouldn't even toy with the idea of playing 5.

I completely disagree. In my group we mostly play online, but we wouldn't even bother playing with three the few times we play face to face.

I feel the game is perfectly balanced for four, and loses a lot with three. The speed of the row feels off, with two cards leaving every turn. And with two is a completely different game, as is the case in basically any game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thibaut Palfer-Sollier
France
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't you listen? TTA is a 3 player game.

devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Noah Bears
Canada
flag msg tools
Gaming Rules! I can't believe you actually replied! It was your video that I watched to make my decision about wether or not to get TtA was yours! Thank you for the videos you make! God bless
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Reid
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tublefou wrote:
Don't you listen? TTA is a 3 player game.

I've known groups that can play 4-player TTA in 2 hours.

I've also seen games full of 4 newbies take 6 hours, but they were engaged the whole time. And they had so much to think about, downtime wasn't noted as a problem.

So at these two extremes, I've seen 4-player TTA work well. Though it might not be so great in the middle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clyde W
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Red Team
badge
#YOLO
mbmbmb
mrgrizzlie33 wrote:
The four player game is marred by a really long playing time, making 3p the preferred player count for a very large number of gamers. According to BGG, ~70% of players believe the game is "best" at 3p. Only 23% believe it is best with 4. 29% believe it is best at 2p. (Note: you can specify multiple values as "best.")

I wouldn't play this game at 4 because the downtime is so bad, unless I was playing online. In person, 3p is the max I'd consider playing it with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Grogan
United Kingdom
Cullompton
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mrgrizzlie33 wrote:
Gaming Rules! I can't believe you actually replied! It was your video that I watched to make my decision about wether or not to get TtA was yours! Thank you for the videos you make! God bless

I try to be as active as I can everywhere I can be
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shawn Fox
United States
Richardson
Texas
flag msg tools
Question everything.
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:
mrgrizzlie33 wrote:
The four player game is marred by a really long playing time, making 3p the preferred player count for a very large number of gamers. According to BGG, ~70% of players believe the game is "best" at 3p. Only 23% believe it is best with 4. 29% believe it is best at 2p. (Note: you can specify multiple values as "best.")

I wouldn't play this game at 4 because the downtime is so bad, unless I was playing online. In person, 3p is the max I'd consider playing it with.

Through the Ages is only a medium length game at best, 4 hours is not a long game. Only games aimed at children take under 2 hours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Len
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The card balance is important. Certain key cards might need to be added in order to allow the game to be played as designed with five people, in addition to another player board and components.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clydeiii wrote:

Now I think it's settled! 4 players is the best number, because there's no risk that Clyde might be in your game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.