Hide
11 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » General Gaming

Subject: Who's going to the Boston Festival of Indie Games? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Samuel Friedman
msg tools
My Game, Heroes of History, is a finalist for a FIGGIE from the Boston Festival of Indie Games. Given that many of the judges have credibility in the hobby gaming industry, I'm proud to even be nominated, let alone actually winning a FIGGIE. However, I find that I frequently have to explain the FIGGIE even to game store owners, so I wondered if maybe the award doesn't yet have a lot of national clout. I get that it's not yet the Spiel des Jahres or Golden Geek, but does anyone have a guess as to how fast the FIGGIE's reputation is growing?

And the second question is in the thread: Who's going to the festival?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve B
Ireland
flag msg tools
badge
EZ FLASH 3 FTW
mbmbmbmbmb
Not me

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Mierz
United States
Middletown
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know yet if the FIGGIE is that well known outside of previous Boston FIG attendees, but I do know that my game Plus Word will be part of the Tabletop Showcase there!

And I believe you'll also be at the following week's Connecticut Festival of Indie Games, right? I'm part of the team organizing that con, which is a "sister" con to Boston FIG. We look forward to seeing you there!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Boston FIG is fun, but it has no reputation outside of festival attendees. It's not going to have a reputation if its award-winners don't go on to become retail sellers, and so far that hasn't happened. More generally, awards for unpublished games aren't going to impact retail much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Compter
United States
Foxboro
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm hopeful that I'll be able to make it as an attendee this year. I won't know until closer to the date. I'll have to miss the CT FIG due to a family conflict.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I suppose that it's reputation is growing, considering it cannot really get much more obscure. I live in Boston and I have never even heard of it. What is it and why is it worth 16 dollars to attend?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Friedman
msg tools
Tim,
I will in fact be at the CT Festival. I'm also a sponsor. I am also looking forward to going. I'll look out for Plus Word.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Friedman
msg tools
Isaac- That's what I figured. It seems small, though I would hope to see indie games grow. As for no game being picked up by retail, I'd say a) it's still fairly young, so not many games have won, and b) it's really hard to make a hit game. My game is published and my sales for the first Heroes of History have been in the hundreds, which is solid for a new indie game. Who knows- maybe this year someone will have a breakout game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Friedman
msg tools
ThinkingThatsAll- well, if it's been five years and you live in Boston, are involved in tabletop gaming, and don't know about it, then they have marketing work to do. For one admission ticket you spend an entire day supporting those of us who are not big gamemakers and are trying to raise awareness for our games without a massive marketing budget. If you do come, feel free to give Heroes of History a try- I believe it would exceed yours and Isaac's expectations about indie games. There will be other games and at least one of them I played (Brass Empire) and its a lot of fun-steampunk deckbuilder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Isaac Shalev
United States
Stamford
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bradansworld wrote:
Isaac- That's what I figured. It seems small, though I would hope to see indie games grow. As for no game being picked up by retail, I'd say a) it's still fairly young, so not many games have won, and b) it's really hard to make a hit game. My game is published and my sales for the first Heroes of History have been in the hundreds, which is solid for a new indie game. Who knows- maybe this year someone will have a breakout game.

I've had two games in the festival, one of which went on to a successful kickstarter, and I've judged too, so I'm not trying to take a shot or criticize the festival. I think it's awesome! Its role in the ecosystem is to showcase indie games, help folks get public playtesting of their designs, be a marketing vehicle, and convene the indie game community. It does all those things really well.

What BFIG is not about is increasing sales volume at retail. Most of the games at BFIG will never be sold in a retail store.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Friedman
msg tools
That may be true for some games, but not mine. I'm up to 31 stores and museums who are carrying Heroes of History, though I will concede my first version which is good can and will be better with future editions. The same is true of my game design. However, as you noted, indie tabletop design is tough to gain a lot of traction, especially compared to bigger game companies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.