Steven Woodcock
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Smart guy, that Mike Rowe:

http://dailycaller.com/2016/08/23/reporters-keep-calling-tru...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
Check out Stately Play for news and reviews of games worth thinking about.
mbmb
Ferretman wrote:
Smart guy, that Mike Rowe

Well, except that saying that uneducated white men prefer Trump doesn't entail that only uneducated white men prefer Trump, so his whole point that this characterization disrespects some forms of education doesn't apply. Also, there was no reason to say "uneducated black men support Obama" because black voters of every educational level and gender supported him, whereas educated white men generally don't and white women don't. And it's a bit hilarious to see a media figure attempt to influence the election by expressing irritation that media figures are attempting to influence the election.

But, yeah, other than that, smart guy. I appreciate his work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
I haven't seen any research saying they're less educated. They are super duper aggressive though.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/433673/donald-trumps-s...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Pelosi shows contempt for white working class males.
I like how Pelosi equates believing in God with being pro life.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
I am proud to have opposed those who describe all who oppose them as "Tender Flowers" and "Special Snowflakes".
badge
mbmb
ironcates wrote:
Pelosi shows contempt for white working class males.
I like how Pelosi equates believing in God with being pro life.

Well, she's trying to find a way to summarize three things with a single letter, and most of the opposition to legal abortion is rooted in religion, so it doesn't seem like that weird a way to shorthand that. She's not equating the two, in the same way you're not really equating "working class" with "non-college-educated", even though she never mentions the first, only the second. You presumably understand that it's possible to be working class and college educated, but there's relevant overlap.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ferretman wrote:

When Donald Trump started getting donations from others for his election bid, the rent he charged his campaign for rental just about quintupled

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/trump-campaign-rent_us_5...

The Trump supporters may not be uneducated, but they do seem to be as dumb as a bag of rocks for still supporting this fraud
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

When Donald Trump started getting donations from others for his election bid, the rent he charged his campaign for rental just about quintupled

The Trump supporters may not be uneducated, but they do seem to be as dumb as a bag of rocks for still supporting this fraud

Why don't you post an original thought? You got nuthin' that ain't been on MSNBC months ago.

In your quest for a gotcha moment you overlooked the fact that the is talking about the rent increases from last month not "months ago" You seem to be the one stuck with an unoriginal thought process, centered around defense of The Donald it seems. Comes under the heading of "proving my point for me"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:
Kumitedad wrote:
Ferretman wrote:

Why don't you post an original thought? You got nuthin' that ain't been on MSNBC months ago.

Well sure that huckster is picking the pockets of all his gullible followers, and sure, I am one, but man that shit is OLD NEWS!

COME UP WITH SOMETHING NEW!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dwayne Hendrickson
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:
I haven't seen any research saying they're less educated. They are super duper aggressive though.

Listening to NPR yesterday they mentioned that Trump supporters on average have completed less schooling than Hillary supporters. There may not be actual research, but the mantra is being played despite that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone who helieves builting a cement wall on the US mexico border is either

A)American

or

B)and effective use of resources to control immigration

instantly qualifies as uneducated in that topic at least.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Well, shit, if Mike Rowe says it, it must be true, right? Hell, he's right up there with Rove and Cargill in his intimate understanding of politics. Think of all the books he's written on politics in the modern age and the college courses he's taught...

Oh wait, he's a TV personality.

Nevermind
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Mike Rowe is a pretty intelligent, common sense guy. He may be a TV personality but he is more intelligent than any of the Lib TV personalities you guys seem to worship.

Can I ask which those might be?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelsey Rinella
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Trump, on the other hand, is largely self-financing, and depending on the RNC. He's basically financing the way the "campaign finance reformers" want campaigns to be run.

Your first quoted sentence hasn't been true for a while--did you miss the story that he jacked up rents on his campaign offices once he stopped self-funding?

The second sentence sounds like you have no idea what campaign finance reformers want. The ideal there isn't to empower billionaires to spend as much of their own money to get elected as they want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Josh
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
galad2003 wrote:
Mike Rowe is a pretty intelligent, common sense guy. He may be a TV personality but he is more intelligent than any of the Lib TV personalities you guys seem to worship.

Can I ask which those might be?

Pastor John Oliver, for one!

He delivers researched material in a comedic way. Does Rowe have research to back him up?

Also:you know to correct for comedic hyperbole when watch Oliver, but even after the correction the subject is still generally horrible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Who are these people,?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Edwards
United Kingdom
London
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:
He delivers researched material in a comedic way. Does Rowe have research to back him up?

Also:you know to correct for comedic hyperbole when watch Oliver, but even after the correction the subject is still generally horrible.

Oliver is just a hack preacher spewing out false scripture to his worshipful followers. His "research" is generally poor, but pitched to appeal to the social media masses.

Care to explain to us which episodes you've watched Drew?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Pennsylvania
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You rightwingers crack me the fuck up.

Mike Rowe is a paid actor who reads lines.

Sure, he doesn't have the GeeDub or Trump problem of stringing words together to make a semi-coherent sentence, but crowning him as some insightful profit/commentator is a stretch even for ingot trading, bacon-weave buying dudes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
rylfrazier wrote:

I know! Here's several videos showing proof of Trump supporter violence:

https://youtu.be/2RFqwWj5T8g
https://youtu.be/0t7PnrelFdY
https://youtu.be/JUkT4Z-_xCA
https://youtu.be/Z5kEySXLcws

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Rowe used to sing opera. Baltimore maybe? I think he's said it was in Maryland.

I like Mike. He's a good guy and his advocacy for skilled trades is correct and I support it. Of course, I supported it long before Rowe started talking about it, but still, good to see.

But I don't listen to celebrities of any political stripe when it comes to politics. Yes, I like John Oliver. He's funny. Yes, I used to like Dennis Miller. But ever since 9/11, he lost his balls and isn't funny anymore. Regardless, neither of them influence my vote.

Now had this been George W. Bush or McCain or Harry Reid or someone of that ilk, I would listen, but it wouldn't influence me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First, as a college educated person, trades people are rad. I personally strongly dislike the slip we've had from "advanced education" (college, trade schools, apprenticeships, etc) being valuable for most people to college being the defacto.

That said, I'm disinclined to agree with his core premise (re: media wanting to impact the election with the rhetoric). I'm pretty sure the truth is much simpler: the rhetoric sells.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Oliver is just a hack preacher spewing out false scripture to his worshipful followers. His "research" is generally poor, but pitched to appeal to the social media masses.

Here's a timely example of how awful he is.

The simplified version of that piece was 'by and large private schools do no better than public schools' and in some ways they CAN be worse.' I enjoy his pieces and know that it's slanted, I get it. can you read and article that has an exaggerated, slightly miss leading, natural gas boner and see that it is also slanted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
Shadrach wrote:

Here's a timely example of how awful he is.

I looked at your link. It was so terrible, I had to post the article it is criticizing.

Exposing abuse by charter schools is good for non-abusive charter schools.

Abuses exposed here included...

Multiple charter schools where the founders spent most of the money on traveling to europe, seeing oprah, etc. and now face criminal charges.

Charter schools with no buildings that held "daily field trips".

Charter schools which had 12% of the number of students they were reporting to the states.

Charter schools which used private schooling companies to evade oversight laws and which had extremely abusive pricing.

Charter schools which ran night clubs in the cafeteria at night!?!?!?

"Dear mom is the school going out of bisnos"?

119 Charter schools have closed in florida with 14 closing before completing a single school year.

----

Drew, you need to take your fingers out of your ears and stop shouting, "I'm not listening" and start learning.

You CAN be conservative and learn.
They are not mutually exclusive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No if you watched it, you would see he's not addressing whether charter schools are good or bad when they are operated correctly.

he's addressing the need to be more rigorous and prevent abuses due to light/no/poor oversight.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Parsons
United States
Carrollton
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
maxo-texas wrote:
I looked at your link. It was so terrible, I had to post the article it is criticizing.

It sucks when someone criticizes your pastor, doesn't it? But have you considered changing religions?

You apparently didn't look closely enough or even read it. I think you just saw that it challenged Oliver's unchallenged statements and you leaped to his defense like a good disciple would.

Oliver's whole bit is an example of cherry-picking. I mean serious? Charter schools are bad because this one once hosted Bill Cosby? Charter schools are bad because that one failed? Charter schools are bad because union talking points say so? This is all ridiculous.

Of course he's a member of the media elite, and he'll never have to worry about failing schools for his children (if he reproduced, and I don't know that he did).

But he doesn't want poor people to have the options he and his rich elitist pals have.

The Federalist article blasts Oliver because of how he compares charter schools to public schools, except that he doesn't. He focuses solely on charter schools and makes no comparison of the two.

Sure he cherry picks. The Federalist cherry picked his show to comment on just that one episode. Does that make their article wrong because of that? He uses the most egregious examples to highlight just how bad charter schools can get. He ends the show by summarizing that better auditing should be done on charter schools. That isn't him wanting to end charter schools as you've inferred, just to make the egregious examples he used in the show to end. I would think we'd all want those kind of things to disappear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Yellow Springs
Ohio
flag msg tools
Si non potes reperire Berolini in tabula, ludens essetis non WIF.
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
batman wrote:

Sure he cherry picks. The Federalist cherry picked his show to comment on just that one episode. Does that make their article wrong because of that? He uses the most egregious examples to highlight just how bad charter schools can get. He ends the show by summarizing that better auditing should be done on charter schools. That isn't him wanting to end charter schools as you've inferred, just to make the egregious examples he used in the show to end. I would think we'd all want those kind of things to disappear.

Exactly. That's John Oliver calling on better oversight of how taxpayer dollars are spent. Thought you'd like that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.