BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Co-op dungeon crawler with permanent character progression? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Doug Ward
United States
California
flag msg tools
Also that is relatively accessible. Played Zombicide. Very accessible gameplay, but uninteresting loot and no permanent progress.

Bought Mice and Mystics to play with my kids, but they got bored with the pacing and the excessive story elements. Tried Pathfinder RPG--too heavy on systems for playing with my kids. Played too slowly.

Loved the hell out of the Pathfinder Adventure Card game--fast play, lots of character progression, and games didn't take all night. Great game.

My brother is recommending Shadows of Brimstone. Any players out there? Any other recommendations? I'm looking to play with my 14-year-old son and maybe one of my daughters if they will join up.

Much appreciated!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Calvin Nicholson
United States
Gilmer
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Try this it may be what you are looking for Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Ward
United States
California
flag msg tools
I've heard of that series. With just 2 players is one the "overlord" while the other is the hero?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Jones
United States
Gainesville
Florida
flag msg tools
Yeah it's here! Really it's right here.
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on your disposal income, you might want to read up on Warhammer Quest

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Must admit + 1 to Warhammer Quest my kids absolutely love it.
With ongoing progression the characters train up levels and improve over time better than most games I know. Gran and grandad even have characters on stand by for when they pop round( troll slayer and warrior Mage) .
If anyone can recommend something similar to this games character advancement I would jump on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Boguschewski
Germany
flag msg tools
Gloomhaven should be out soon and it sounds like it's exactly what you are searching for. Give it a look!
It is a Legacy-style game, but can still be played when you are finished. And as far as I know, the campaign can even be repeated to some degree... But I'm not sure about the details on that part so don't quote me on that =)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Schneider
Germany
Fürth
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
julio9 wrote:
I've heard of that series. With just 2 players is one the "overlord" while the other is the hero?

There are some POD Coop-Adventures for it, as well as the recently released app which handles the Overlord-stuff and turns the game into a full coop.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chrissof wrote:
Gloomhaven should be out soon and it sounds like it's exactly what you are searching for. Give it a look!
It is a Legacy-style game, but can still be played when you are finished. And as far as I know, the campaign can even be repeated to some degree... But I'm not sure about the details on that part so don't quote me on that =)

+1 for this. Soon to be released, in a box the size of a small flat!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Hayward
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Descent 2nd Edition with the new Road To Legend app makes it full cooperative. It's best with 3 or 4 players, I think.

Folklore: The Affliction will be released soon so that may be worth watching out for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Smith

UK
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow Warhammer Quest is mega rare and expensive ,but still cheaper than the alternative adult Kingdom Death: Monster. Not kid or gran type of game .
Looking at other games with co-op that are family friendly and my ones like age range 10 to 14 .
Super Dungeon Explore great loot and in game progressing.uber cute game.
Myth kids love picking the story journey , nice skill use in game.
Dungeons & Dragons: Castle Ravenloft Board Game and family.my favourite pick up and play in quick spurts crawler.
Space Cadets: Away Missions Fun Sci-Fi crawler with interesting events in game and scenarios.
Had a look at Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients could be a good warhammerquest near experience.
Good luck , going to check here for some cool recommendations.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle A
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you heard about the upcoming Arkham Horror: The Card Game. An LCG, but it might be right up your alley. I have not played it, but I also enjoy Pathfinder Card Game and am anxiously awaiting the Arkham LCG
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
r0t1 prata
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Shadows of Brimstone may take all night, but i think it's a great miniatures game with permanent character progression.

Or if you still like PACG you can always go to paizo to buy their organised play scenarios or find free scenarios/campaigns in BGG.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might also want to have a look at Sword & Sorcery or its predecessor Galaxy Defenders
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GitFeatures wrote:
Wow Warhammer Quest is mega rare and expensive ,but still cheaper than the alternative adult Kingdom Death: Monster. Not kid or gran type of game .

Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game might be an option although it doesn't really have a long campaign and could use an expansion to help in offering more replay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonas Vanschooren
Belgium
Beringen
Limburg
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen some bad recommendations here, very big heavy fiddly games.
I would not get shadows of brimstone, if your kids found mice and mystics to slow paced this will not be for them, it's very very fiddly in the rules department, plays do take long.

Dungeons & Dragons: Temple of Elemental Evil Board Game is the one I recommend, it has character progression, plays fast, easy rules, it's like pathfinder acg with a dungeon to explore and miniatures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
L W
United States
San Francisco
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
CarlosSpicyweener wrote:
julio9 wrote:

There are some POD Coop-Adventures for it, as well as the recently released app which handles the Overlord-stuff and turns the game into a full coop.

I love Descent: Journeys in the Dark (Second Edition) with the new Road to Legend app. It plays 1-4 players and the app plays the overlord. It's got a fun story, the miniatures are great, and the gameplay is challenging.

I didn't like the gameplay or miniatures with Shadows of Brimstone: City of the Ancients as much. The miniatures aren't very detailed and require assembly. The game play involved a lot of dice chucking even for a rpg, IMO.

Kingdom Death: Monster story is not for young children. The miniatures are amazing but do require assembly. It's a great adult game if you can afford it.

I haven't played it much but Super Dungeon Explore might be the game for you and your kids. It's got great miniatures that are "cute". The drawback is someone (you) have to play the monsters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joris Karpavicius
Lithuania
Kaunas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Budapest wrote:
I haven't played it much but Super Dungeon Explore might be the game for you and your kids. It's got great miniatures that are "cute". The drawback is someone (you) have to play the monsters.

Super Dungeon Explore: Forgotten King has full coop option with AI deck (arcade mode) and improved rules. Doubt that it has character progression tho. Maybe some kind of variant has?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.