Michael Dart
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
"In the beginning, the Earth was without form, and void."
badge
"O I know justice, it's a birthright if you're born right"
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a friend newly into the hobby who's very interested in finding team based games. A typical night might be 3 or 4 couples, who play various games against each other.

So, is there an official rule about how to play Sushi Go Party as teams? With a potential 8 player count it struck me as a game that might work well for it.

If not, how would you do it?

I imagine you'd probably sit couples equidistant apart from each other. And then either
- score each player separately and add team members' scores together;
or perhaps more interestingly,
- pool the team members' cards together and then score each team.

Has anyone tried either of these, or something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Er
Singapore
Singapore
flag msg tools
badge
Hmmm, just a silly idea
Maybe you might want to try doing it whereby one person plays their cards face up, the other plays face down, and the aim is to get closest to a certain score without going over?
Scores of the team will be added together
(whether you want to do it individually or pool the card together i guess it doesnt really matter)

For the player playing facedown, he/she wont be able to trigger the spoon or chopsticks or any cards that requires knowledge of the card, so no clash for miso soup as well
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christina Law
United States
Laguna Hills
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The top two team card games that I would recommend to your friend are: 1) Tichu, and 2) Team Play. Both are excellent and in frequent rotation amongst my large game group. Team Play is shorter, though you can adjust the end scoring goal for Tichu as you prefer. Both are inexpensive and available on Amazon right now.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timothy Smith
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mjdart wrote:
I have a friend newly into the hobby who's very interested in finding team based games. A typical night might be 3 or 4 couples, who play various games against each other.

So, is there an official rule about how to play Sushi Go Party as teams? With a potential 8 player count it struck me as a game that might work well for it.

I imagine you'd probably sit couples equidistant apart from each other. And then either

Yours sounds like the best idea! I think pooling the team member's cards together sounds like the best recipe for a good time. It would be tricky to communicate strategies in secret though, haha. I would definitely be interested in playing this version. It would certainly be crazier though, because the potential tableau size is effectively doubled, allowing for much bigger points from things like Tea. Getting a crazy score from Fruit for example would become much easier. I think overall though it would probably not become too incredibly unbalanced...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
windkirby wrote:
mjdart wrote:

Yours sounds like the best idea! I think pooling the team member's cards together sounds like the best recipe for a good time. It would be tricky to communicate strategies in secret though, haha. I would definitely be interested in playing this version. It would certainly be crazier though, because the potential tableau size is effectively doubled, allowing for much bigger points from things like Tea. Getting a crazy score from Fruit for example would become much easier. I think overall though it would probably not become too incredibly unbalanced...

I think pooling team member's cards together is a good idea. I also think that team members should sit next to each other. Other drafting games where team members sit next to each other: 7 Wonders: Cities (I've only every played that way with 8 players) and Between Two Cities ("sort of" team members). Between Two Cities has specific rules about how you can communicate with your "teammates" that you may want to look at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Pooling team members' cards is a bad idea for this game unless you change the card counts.

In ordinary play, each player gets 7-10 cards per round -- fewer with more players, but not much fewer.

Playing as 2-person teams, each team would have 18 cards (with two couples), 16 (with three couples) or 14 (with four couples). This would make things like dumplings and onigiri much more valuable, make eel less dangerous, etc.

On the other hand, if you deal each player half as many cards, maybe it would work? But then you're dealing each person about four cards; there's a ton of luck involved and things like chopsticks because useless.

Just add teammates' individual scores together at the end of the round, and seat teammates across from each other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.