7 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Do It Yourself

Subject: Modified Ikea Table Advice rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ether
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I ended up buying the large Stornas extendable table from Ikea (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/40184945/) and wanted to modify it to be a multipurpose dining/game table.

So far I have added in the vault floor (5/8" pine plywood) and added some extra support rails on the inside of the skirt. These sit flush with the existing cross supports originally meant to hold the leaves of the table.

I plan on doubling the width of the skirt inward on all sides and moving the metal support rail inward so that I have a decent armrest. I will also be covering the metal hardware on the legs so that it won't be visible. For the play surface I have ordered some 3mm double sided nylon backed neoprene.

There is both a pair of wooden support rails towards the inside of the table and the grooved metal rail on the inside of the skirt. Normally the metal rails would prevent the tabletop from being removed completely but I have only one rail on each half of the table installed for the moment so that I can pivot the tabletop halves off. Since this isn't ideal, I am trying to figure out the best way to make the metal rails "retractable". I would like to reach in and slot/unslot them for easy tabletop removal. Any suggestions on this?
I was thinking either some kind of locking piston attachment similar to a deadbolt on a door or just having the metal rail attachment pivot by one of its screw holes with a metal peg of some sort in the second screw hole to lock it in place.

Another question I have is about what kind of hardware I should use to lock the tabletop/leaves together. The table came with inset circular latches underneath but they are now located inside the vault area and are thus unreachable. I plan to use a similar hardware but have them outside of the table skirt. Something very low profile is a must so that they are not normally visible unless you are eye level with the table. I was thinking of using these (http://www.rockler.com/click-catch) but am open to any suggestions.

Any helpful comments would be most appreciated, thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Darren
Canada
Calgary
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Looking good. I look forward to the completed table with pictures!

For locking the leafs together, I would check out what Lee Valley Tools has as they have many odds and ends for this type of situation:

Lee Valley Table Top Parts
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought the same table, and followed the template from here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1509176/gaming-table-easily...

I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, as far as the tabletop/latching system goes....but just adding those wood dowels so everything lines up and is tight worked out great for me.

You don't slide the top on with this system...you just lift them on and off. They aren't too heavy at all, and I haven't had any issues popping them off or on.

Just a heads up in case you hadn't seen this thread yet.

We love our table, and it's worked out great for us. Hope you have similar success!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ether
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
I bought the same table, and followed the template from here:

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1509176/gaming-table-easily...

I know that's not exactly what you're looking for, as far as the tabletop/latching system goes....but just adding those wood dowels so everything lines up and is tight worked out great for me.

You don't slide the top on with this system...you just lift them on and off. They aren't too heavy at all, and I haven't had any issues popping them off or on.

Just a heads up in case you hadn't seen this thread yet.

We love our table, and it's worked out great for us. Hope you have similar success!

I did see that post actually. The main reason I'm not going that route is because I want to retain the ability to use the fully extended table with both leaves in. Without the metal rail supports I'm afraid the heavier tabletop ends would have issue bearing weight. I believe the smaller Bjursta model might be fine without the metal rails due to its lighter tabletop and shorter extension length.

Thanks for the suggestions so far though! I'm excited to have it finished and start playing on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah yes...that makes total sense. Good luck with your research!

Here's what the end of our journey looked like..

Half mast:

Full mast:

It was fun to make, but even more fun to play on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence
United States
Tustin
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brodie17 wrote:
Ah yes...that makes total sense. Good luck with your research!

Here's what the end of our journey looked like..

Half mast:

Full mast:

It was fun to make, but even more fun to play on

Are those removable arm rails? Or is the perspective in the pictures just a little funky?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ya, those are removable arm rails. We made six of them, so we can use them if we use 1/2 the table, or all of it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.