9 Posts

Fields of Green» Forums » Variants

Subject: What's the difference between the 1st and 2nd editions? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mikey Moo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed under the versions section it lists a 2nd edition that is planned to be released in 2017. Anyone know what the differences will be between the two editions or is the publisher willing to clarify?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Beaumont
United States
Ann Arbor
MI
flag msg tools
I have a Carcassonne Hunters and Gatherers tile tattoo !
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OxBaker wrote:
I noticed under the versions section it lists a 2nd edition that is planned to be released in 2017. Anyone know what the differences will be between the two editions or is the publisher willing to clarify?

Yes that gave me pause also!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'm not sure they'd agree to call this "1st edition" vs. "2nd edition" if you asked either Artipia or Stronghold. More like Kickstarter vs. Retail, but ...

"1st edition" is the kickstarter edition that is currently being kickstarted by Artipia. It will be shipped to backers December 2016.

"2nd edition" will be published by Stronghold Games (I guess in partnership with Artipia) and will be available in early 2017.

While it's not entirely clear what (if any) differences there will be, something similar was done with "The Pursuit of Happiness". If they keep the same model here then the only differences will be that some/all stretch goal content won't be available in the "2nd edition", but those extras will be made available on Artipia's website at a cost.

Or at least that's the best I can understand it ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OxBaker wrote:

I'm not affiliated to Artipia Games, but I can answer some of your questions.

First edition is the first print run for the current Kicktarter, and is from Artipia Games only. This is what will ship to current backers. Being the KS print run, this first edition will ship, in December 2016 with he KS promo pack including all the unlock stretch goals and will have upgraded components.

Second edition is the second print run, joint between Artipia Games and Stronghold Games. This version, according to what was done for The Pursuit of Happiness, will obviously have the Stronghold logo on it, and maybe other thing will change (the box cover of PoH was changed between the two print run). From what I know it will also have the upgrade components in it, but it will not have any of the KS promo pack content. These will remain available for purchase (as they are not KS exclusive) but at a greater cost, from Artipia Games website.

That's pretty much it. So if you are in the US, Canada or EU (since we have free shipping included in the pledge), I've calculated for their last KS (Pursuit of Happiness) that, if you want the KS promo pack, it is cheaper to back now than to wait for the 2nd edition to hit retail (somewhere early 2017) and then buy the KS promo pack from the Artipia games website. If you dont mind not having the stuff unlock in the KS, then it will be cheaper to wait for retail, but you will be missing some cool cards, notably the Events cards which will add some twist to the games.

EDIT: Ninja'ed by Bill!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Buchanan
Canada
flag msg tools
mb
I'll add that, from I was told (asked these questions last week), the 1st edition of Pursuit of Happiness that had the different box, board and such was a limited print run done for one of the conventions.

From what I was told the kickstarter and stronghold versions of that game were the same in those regards.

I don't own that game, so I can just go by what I was told.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mikey Moo
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perfect. Thanks for the clarification all and it definitely seems like the Kickstart versions the way to go in that case.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
Somerset
NJ
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
WBuchanan wrote:
I'm not sure they'd agree to call this "1st edition" vs. "2nd edition" if you asked either Artipia or Stronghold. More like Kickstarter vs. Retail, but ...

"1st edition" is the kickstarter edition that is currently being kickstarted by Artipia. It will be shipped to backers December 2016.

"2nd edition" will be published by Stronghold Games (I guess in partnership with Artipia) and will be available in early 2017.

While it's not entirely clear what (if any) differences there will be, something similar was done with "The Pursuit of Happiness". If they keep the same model here then the only differences will be that some/all stretch goal content won't be available in the "2nd edition", but those extras will be made available on Artipia's website at a cost.

This is a correct analysis.

- Artipia Games is KS'ing the current "edition", and will fulfill this to their backers.

- Stronghold Games will co-publish and CO-BRAND the next "edition" with Artipia Games (see the box for The Pursuit Of Happiness -- one box, both companies).

The differences are TBD. However, I would not expect any material differences. Rules clarifications, of course, in the Rulebook.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Lunte
Germany
Garrel
Niedersachsen
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
evilone wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

- Artipia Games is KS'ing the current "edition", and will fulfill this to their backers.

- Stronghold Games will co-publish and CO-BRAND the next "edition" with Artipia Games (see the box for The Pursuit Of Happiness -- one box, both companies).

The differences are TBD. However, I would not expect any material differences. Rules clarifications, of course, in the Rulebook.

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

By "no material differences" I assume you mean no differences in production quality? Since the stretch goal cards were said not to be included in later editions, only available as a promo pack.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mike
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
WBuchanan wrote:

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Stronghold Games

one of my biggest problems with this setup is expansions aren't always backwards compatible- it would be great to know what the changes would be (or no changes that might affect this)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.