Sebastian Portillo
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi everyone,

We've launched our website a week ago and we would like to hear your thoughts on this. Anything can help. Your first impression, why and when you lose excitement or gain engagement etc.

Because we're looking for support to launch our first Kickstarter, we will send you a personal 20% off coupon for our shop in the case that you leave us a feedback.

Here is our website: www.portillo-entertainment.com/games

Thank you so much!

All the best,
Sebastian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hayes
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The website's design is fine.

Please don't take the following critique as an attack, though it may be blunt. I lost interest when you ask me to subscribe to get print and play games. There are already a thousand more PnP games available here for free than I have time to print, build, and play. Why would I want to subscribe, or even pay for, your games? One incentive I could see would be if the games had fantastic, professional quality artwork and looked well tested. As it is now, it looks like I'm paying to be a playtester on a poorly thought out prototype.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Portillo
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi Nick,

First, thanks for your reply. It's perfect that you mention this. The idea of paying for the prototypes is that it gives us (as a new publisher) financial support. We're releasing a micro game every month that is well thought through. All our games are tested virtually tested with Tabletop Simulator.

Also, the "invested" money is then credited on our manufactured games. Although, I must confess - this was not perfectly clear in the pricing table description. We've changed this.

In short, the subscription is a small contribution that will allow us to cover some of the expenses to create the manufactured games of the future and they are all based on the monthly micro games.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
- Sebastian
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all, your site's landing page…it describes who you are, your credo and the length and # of players your PnP games are for….but nothing else. What ARE your games? Question marks goes through my head. They should be the highlight of what makes a splash on a landing page.

I scroll down to the next screen...still no info on your games except for a couple of images on these 2 screens that don't show much. I'm starting to get suspicious.

OK, I follow through and click on the "Download all our games now!"…to be greeted with prices hitting me in the face to download your PnP games… I felt lured here by a deceptive Download link. Not a good feeling at all. If I was just visiting this site and not reviewing it, I would leave at this point.

And what you're offering for payment is a subscription service? Really for what? there is still nothing in on your games. Not being familiar with your games and not being given any info on them, I would certainly not pay for a mystery box let alone a subscription service. I want to know what I'm buying and have the option to choose what games I get.

I poke my way around to finally find some images and very cursory description of some of the games. The images …don't look very enticing especially not after going through all the negative vibes just to find the games.

This subscription site it not for me, but my main suggestion for your site is advertise and showcase the games, not cryptic messages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Portillo
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hey secoAce,

That will help me a lot to restructure the whole thing. I assume that the micro game as a part of the email send is not interesting enough, then? My stream of thought was to offer a game and, then, you know what we do etc. but I see now that this is already something that could be "suspicious". Good point! Thanks for that constructive feedback!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I too must agree with the above.

Also, Not to be rude, may be just a slight thing.
May not affect anyone, but for me i think its a slight problem.

Issue is:

I dont remember your website's name? (and i was just on it)
I belive www.portillo-entertainment.com/games is way to long.

If it can be shortend, would be great "PortET" maybe?
The first word is a bit of a stumble for me, i think "Portellio" when i read it.

Also, your "subscription service" is on a sub page. not the main page. which is a real problem.

If i go www.portillo-entertainment.com
i get sometihng about bands and the art of emotions.

Having to put /games at the end of the website. is (IMO) a hassle.

If i had to do google.com/search-engine everytime, i probably wont be here.

This, is not meant to be rude, it is my personal opinion.
Good luck with everything kind sir!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
secoAce -
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EpicSouldier wrote:
Hi Nick,

First, thanks for your reply. It's perfect that you mention this. The idea of paying for the prototypes is that it gives us (as a new publisher) financial support. We're releasing a micro game every month that is well thought through. All our games are tested virtually tested with Tabletop Simulator.

Also, the "invested" money is then credited on our manufactured games. Although, I must confess - this was not perfectly clear in the pricing table description. We've changed this.

In short, the subscription is a small contribution that will allow us to cover some of the expenses to create the manufactured games of the future and they are all based on the monthly micro games.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!
- Sebastian

Not speaking of the presentation of the website, here's where I have an issue with your subscription model. So I will get a new game every month for 1 year (and more if I subscribe multiple years)?

It looks like so far you have 6 PnP prototypes available. When you start a new subscription, do you start to receive prototype games that were already released or do you actually send out a new game every month? If it's the former, that means 12 games in a year, if it's the later, you will have 18 prototype games by the end of my annal subscription.

How many designers do you have working and how big is your staff and facility that you could really be working on 12-18 games in a year?! I understand a startup needed extra funding to continue development, but when you're working on so many games at once and with no track record of any published games out yet (at least none that I know of), what kind of quality can be expected?

Edit: re-worded last paragraph.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Portillo
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi Feraswheel,

Thanks for the feedback! Yes, I understand the point and it is definitely something I will need to work around. The thing is that I'm a recording artist who designed a board game for his music album. Everything will be tied together once the music and everything is ready for the radio stationc etc. and we need to work on the Kickstarter campaign. I founded the publishing company with the idea to create high quality games in the future. Hiring game designers and also designing games myself - presenting a micro game every month. This is somehow the idea to get the first attention.

Again, thank you so much. It's all very valuable feedback here that will improve the site.

Yours,
Sebastian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Other then the other stuff i mentioned.

What you could do which i think would be good.

Since your asking for people to pay $80 to have access.
Then for them to pretty much pay $80 on printer ink (may not be that much) since people have to print them.

What if you post them out?

Once someone subscribes, post all previous print and plays.

Every month, post a print and play instead of email.

This is not really feedback on the website, this would be feedback as a consumer, as that is one thing i get concerned at when printing PnP.
As my printer costs $40 to re-fill.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Portillo
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
OK, so every month there is a short game (that we call micro game) added to the website. If you subscribe you get access to all those games. Then, every month you get the new one. The money that we gather from subscribers is used to illustrate future games. Also, we are working hard for our first Kickstarter campaign but you have to start somewhere - like the "Chicken or the Egg" thing. With the micro games, we show that we can create effective games on a regular basis and professionally. Our bigger titles should speak for themselves and we will talk about it as soon as we have the physical first prototype to create videos and pictures.

Thanks secoAce!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Portillo
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
I'll think about that. Although that could be a problem since we're based in Europe and sending the files could be more complicated than expected.

What about virtual access to Tabletop Simulator?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Feras H
Australia
Sydney
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Virtual access for Solo games, yes.
For normal games "Maybe", I play with my partner in person so i can see her pretty face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Arvid Alfredsson Grahn
Sweden
flag msg tools
(I know I risk sounding like a wise ass here): As far as I know, the word analog denotes data or information represented as a smooth, continuous variable, as opposed to digital representation, which is divided into discrete units. Analog is usually used to describe vinyls as opposed to CD:s or voltage control of music instruments as opposed to digital control. Seems rather strange to advertise your games as smoothly continuois variable representations... What about the words tactile or physical?

The first picture that I see is of prototype cards with pencil om them. It's not a very intriguing picture (the picture further down is a lot more interesting and capturing).

I also agree with poster secoAce: focus on the games! A section called "OUR GAMES" or something should be at the center. You have to get people interested in the games for them to start caring about your playtesting/funding/business model.

I would also suggest to make the page look less lika a blog by removing monthly archives, recent post links etc. Les clutter = more focus on what the website is actually about.

I'd love to see more pictures, and I also like your idea. I just think that it could be communicated more efficently. When it comes to the overall look of the website, it's good.

Good luck to you and all the best!
/Arvid

EDIT: spelling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Portillo
Switzerland
Bern
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Hi Arvid,

We now use one of our illustrations created for a game that we're working on by Sergio Botero instead of the prototype cards.

Since we want to update the page often and it will also function as publishing website I guess things will be left as such with respect to that.

Concerning the analog. I kind of think that it can be confusing, so there's no mentioning of that anymore.

Thanks for the constructive feedback!

Yours,
Sebastian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.