Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Value of the reinforcement +X rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
STB
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What is the value of the reinforcement +X when X can't be determined (such as before the launch phase or if no player controls it)?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Montgomery
United States
Modesto
California
flag msg tools
badge
The Shipyard - Star Trek Attack Wing spoilers and reviews
mbmbmbmbmb
Since reinforcements can only be played after cards are revealed, it doesn't matter what value the +X holds at any other point.
Unless I'm missing something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
badge
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
My thought was the same as David's ... why would it matter?

But, assuming it does (or someday will) matter, you have two basic choices:

1. Assume the game text is only relevant when the card is played as a reinforcement in an encounter. At all other items it has no numeric value, in the same way that an artifact or flare has no numeric value.

2. Assume the card is constantly aware of its surroundings and X always has a numeric value. This gets messy, and I think you'd have to consider a variety of contexts:

• When the card is in the offense's hand between the start of his turn and before the defense is determined, it would be worth zero because there is only one side in the encounter and it has no committed ships.

• Once the defense is determined, but before the offense launches ships, a +X in the hand of either main player would be worth either zero or the size of the defensive colony. After the offense launches one or more ships it would be worth either that number or the size of the defensive colony.

• As allies are added (or removed), the two possible values would change. Until the end of the encounter, it constantly scans the number of ships on both sides, eventually offering the choice of either zero or the number of winning ships.

• At all other times (such as when the card is not in any player's hand), zero.

I vastly prefer option 1, especially since the card requires a human choice be involved in its value determination. Option 2 is a mess.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
STB
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It would only matter for homebrews right now. Option 1 was what I was assuming before, and I also like it better.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.