3 Posts

Victory through Industry» Forums » Rules

Subject: Post playthrough questions. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Russ Fan
msg tools
mb
Hey all, I just finished a playthrough of the game and while we had fun noodling out the mechanics of production, we had a few questions that we were trying to find answers to.

* When it refers to a factory type, does that mean the specific factory, the resource that factory runs on, or the color of the factory?
** For instance, I had an Oil Well that fed into an Oil Refinery, which fed into a Nylon Factory.
** I thought that when I activated the Oil Well, all my other Oil Wells activated, provided they had space.
** Some people thought that it meant that I activate all Oil Type factories, so in this case, the Oil Well, and Oil Refinery, provided conditions are met.
** Other people thought that the types were divided by color, so in this case, the Oil Well, Refinery, and the Nylon Factory. They thought this because it seemed like the pace of production seemed too slow otherwise.

* With regards to claiming a contract. If you're the first person to claim a contract and you get the fulfillment token, since you don't pass the token until your next turn, you'll pay the fulfillment cost again before passing it. So you'll sit on the token for a round? What is the benefit of taking an early contract?

* Fulfilling a contract only ensures that you keep it another turn, you don't score points until the end, correct?

* The end of game occurs when a person can fulfill 5+ contracts in a single turn? We seemed to have problems generating enough resource to be able to claim and sustain fulfillment while growing to fulfill 5+ contracts. I ended up winning when I took 8 contracts in a single turn.

* Building factories that has outputs we don't already own. From our understanding, if I took oil, but wanted to build a coal mine, I would need to generate 6 oil, and then trade it to the bank to get 2 coal/trees to get a coal mine?

Overall, we had a good time, but we were hoping to get some answers before trying again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Fatula
United States
I don't even know where I live anymore
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
fngkestrel wrote:
When it refers to a factory type, does that mean the specific factory, the resource that factory runs on, or the color of the factory?

It refers to all factories that share the same name. So if you're in a production turn, all your Oil Wells produce, or all your Coal Mines, etc.

fngkestrel wrote:
With regards to claiming a contract. If you're the first person to claim a contract and you get the fulfillment token, since you don't pass the token until your next turn, you'll pay the fulfillment cost again before passing it. So you'll sit on the token for a round? What is the benefit of taking an early contract?

In general, the goal is to take contracts as late as possible (so you don't have to spend so much in fulfillment). The only reason to grab a contract earlier is to prevent someone else from getting it.

fngkestrel wrote:
Fulfilling a contract only ensures that you keep it another turn, you don't score points until the end, correct?

That's correct. Holding a contract is a negative during the game (since you have to keep paying for it periodically) but a positive at the end (since it's worth points).

fngkestrel wrote:
The end of game occurs when a person can fulfill 5+ contracts in a single turn? We seemed to have problems generating enough resource to be able to claim and sustain fulfillment while growing to fulfill 5+ contracts. I ended up winning when I took 8 contracts in a single turn.

If you're having trouble fulfilling contracts, you're probably grabbing contracts too early.

I'd say about half the games of Victory through Industry I've played ended with someone fulfilling 5+ contracts in a single turn.

fngkestrel wrote:
Building factories that has outputs we don't already own. From our understanding, if I took oil, but wanted to build a coal mine, I would need to generate 6 oil, and then trade it to the bank to get 2 coal/trees to get a coal mine?

That's correct, if you only produce oil, it would cost you 6 oil to trade with the bank for the 2 coal or wood to make a coal mine.

However, if you only produce oil, you have a very large incentive to build as many oil-based factories as you can. Horizontal integration is key. Consider this: a player with all four oil wells can make 4 oil in a single move -- and if they also have all four refineries, they can make 12 more products (sulphur, naphtha, gasoline) in their next move. That's an enormous amount of stuff to be able to trade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Fan
msg tools
mb
Thanks, Joe!

I really enjoyed the game and am looking forward to it getting to the table again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.