Popular Tags: [View All]
Sharon Khan
United Kingdom
Shefford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
Games, games and more games!
mbmbmbmbmb

I review all my games when they hit 100 plays. For the full list see My 100 Plays Reviews.

First Impressions:

Showmanager was one of the first games I was introduced to when I started playing games outside my home and joined a local group in the area - my first play was in November 2002. I liked it enough to buy it midway through 2003, and it has been a regular in my playgroup ever since. Something about the set collection really appealed, and it was light and accessible to all, which is always a bonus.

Getting to 100 plays:

2002: 1
2003: 10
2004: 12
2005: 14
2006: 8
2007: 7
2008: 6
2009: 5
2010: 5
2011: 8
2012: 3
2013: 6
2014: 8
2015: 5
2016: 2

As you can see Showmanager has never seen huge popularity, instead it's a steady burning coming out without fail every couple of months, and averaging 5 plays a year for a very long period of time. It's never dropped out of rotation.

Current Impressions:

I currently rate Showmanager a 9 - it has been a 10 in the past, but I'm starting to demand more plays per year from my 10s nowadays. It's a long-term favourite, is a game I'm happy to pull out with everyone from family to seasoned gamers, and most people seem to enjoy it. It can be frustrating, and it has so much replayability because the cards come out so differently every time, so there's no chance of setting a strategy and sticking with it - it's a very reactive game. It's not too luck-based either - the experienced players will always win over the new players, and the same players do seem to repeatedly come out on top (at one point I had a ten game winning streak, until my husband found a way to attack my game). It has interaction too - you're collecting sets, but if the person downstream of you suddenly starts collecting the same set, or someone puts the wonderful collection you have on in Troisdorf it can all be for nothing!

Will there be another 100 plays?

Well, at 5 plays a year it's going to be a long time getting there, but there's no sign that we're going to suddenly stop playing it, and it's certainly got the variability to get there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.