$30.00
Recommend
3 
 Thumb up
 Hide
17 Posts

Glorantha: The Gods War» Forums » General

Subject: The Glorantha faction ranking contest! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter Bowie
United Kingdom
Crewe
Cheshire
flag msg tools
mb
Battle of the titans, who wins out? Personally, I've become enamored with Earth, despite the aesthetic not usually being my taste. Those wedding rings!

Poll
Which factions are your favourite?
Darkness
Sky
Chaos
Storm
Earth
Invisible God
Sea
Moon
      74 answers
Poll created by C3Gaming
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I put my vote on the sea. I don't know why, but I always seem to gravitate towards a faction with tentacles...

The earth faction would be my second choise propably.

But in the end, all of the factions seem to be interesting. I see no duds here.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Judgement Dave
United Kingdom
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
C3Gaming wrote:
Battle of the titans, who wins out?

There's a Greek faction?
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Earth faction has 2 Titans instead of gods.

Also, when a Titan dies, all the vampires start to sparkle.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Haha, when I saw your wording "Battle of the titans", the Earth faction immediately came to mind (since they're the only faction with Titans).

laugh
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Andersson
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Did not expect the Invisible God to be so highly ranked. That's probably the one I'm least excited for.

I voted Moon like most people because the concept of that Moon track adjusting the faction is really neat. Plus, their units look awesome.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Robinson
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
In memory of Tara, my beloved Wolfhound-Deerhound cross. Flew away Feb 2016, still missed.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
davidryanandersson wrote:
Did not expect the Invisible God to be so highly ranked. That's probably the one I'm least excited for.


I wasn't excited by the Invisible God until I saw Sandy's write up. Now I can't wait to play them!

Cheers,
Graham
3 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sandy Petersen
United States
Rockwall
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
I wrote the first-ever Lovecraft game.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
therealbuserian wrote:
davidryanandersson wrote:
Did not expect the Invisible God to be so highly ranked. That's probably the one I'm least excited for.


I wasn't excited by the Invisible God until I saw Sandy's write up. Now I can't wait to play them!

Cheers,
Graham


Yay! My write-up had the desired effect. I agree that (even to me) their figures are not as cool as the awesome terrors other factions can field. But I think their gameplay rocks.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad S.
United States
Omaha
Nebraska
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with that sentiment- I was the least interested in the Invisible God faction until Sandy's write-up, and now I'm very excited to play them.

But I'm still leaning toward the Earth faction. I like that they're really in the thick of it, and can meddle with the other players (which is strangely gratifying to me).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Van Biesbrouck
Canada
St Catharines
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
ColHammer wrote:
Earth faction has 2 Titans instead of gods.

Also, when a Titan dies, all the vampires start to sparkle.


It should be enough to paint them, one with orange and green stripes, the other pink with chartreuse polka-dots.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Kennelly
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The writeup had the exact same effect for me with the Invisible God faction. I am always into the factions that just play completely differently than the rest.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ray
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
My initial Invisible God reaction was low, but the more I thought about it the more I realized something: I like how mundane the invisible god miniatures are because its great for use in RPGs. So feel free to make alternate knights as stretch goals. My RPG group will love em as PC/NPCs.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Harald Smith
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandy Petersen wrote:

Yay! My write-up had the desired effect. I agree that (even to me) their figures are not as cool as the awesome terrors other factions can field. But I think their gameplay rocks.


I enjoyed the writeup as well and looking forward to trying them out.
I'm wondering if you may want to consider the unit naming? Knights and wizards sounds very standard fantasy. Why not Horali and Zzaburi? (Or Horali Knights and Zzaburi Wizards) Would give them a much more Gloranthan sound/feel.

While I like the look of the wizard miniatures, I can't say I'm enamored of the knights - look too medieval rather than Bronze Age Brithini.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guillaume Andriot
France
flag msg tools
Jajagappa wrote:

While I like the look of the wizard miniatures, I can't say I'm enamored of the knights - look too medieval rather than Bronze Age Brithini.


Agreed. I feel it should be on a horse at least ! It would help the figurine stand out more too, as the only other mounted unit is the storm champion. I wouldn't mind if they where called by caste name but this could potentially be alienating to non glorantha fans. We've seen that some peoples where bothered by the simple fact that the Invisible God faction does not fit the standard template of faction naming allready.

But I'm not sure about "knight" either after the whole revamp of the West in the guide. If its meant to stay on foot then call it a soldier, or give him a horse and call him rider or cavalry or even horseman.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
Putting the knight on horseback would make him seem like a hero rather than minion.
I'd like to have all of the minions to be similar in stature (CW cultist sized) with a small base.
A horse would demand a bigger base which would put the knight in the same category with heroes/lesser gods.

I think the base sizes are important to the look of the game. This way you can see the threat level of the miniatures in the map in a single glance.

Knights fought on foot as well as horseback, so I see no problem with foot knights.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Dale
msg tools
ColHammer wrote:
Putting the knight on horseback would make him seem like a hero rather than minion.
I'd like to have all of the minions to be similar in stature (CW cultist sized) with a small base.
A horse would demand a bigger base which would put the knight in the same category with heroes/lesser gods.

I think the base sizes are important to the look of the game. This way you can see the threat level of the miniatures in the map in a single glance.

Knights fought on foot as well as horseback, so I see no problem with foot knights.

I think the Invisible Gods faction's problem at the moment is that its units and buildings NEED to stand out more due to their lack of a hero or Greater God, so if that means that its minions look disproportionally awesome then so be it.cool People are more or less already sold on their game-play value, but perhaps the aesthetics of the faction should be reassessed. If I've learned anything from Petersen Games, it's that just because something is a "knight" or a "wizard" or a "castle" doesn't mean they can't be interesting or unusual, as is already the case with many of the the other Glorantha figures (and the corresponding beings from the mythos itself).
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marko Parviainen
Finland
flag msg tools
mb
I kind of disagree here (just my opinion, nothing more intended).

The Invisible god factions "gimmic" is that they do not have greater gods. Just a big horde of minions. So they should look like a horde of minions.

They already have unique buildings to make the faction stand out a bit. Their minion horde should be underestimated by looking puny and harmless alongside all the big, bad elementals/gods.

But that's just the feeling I get when I read about the faction. Under dogs with a suprisingly nasty bite.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.