Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

FURY OF DRACULA PLAY-BY-FORUM GAME #54, LES MESMERIZABLES: Alright, I have sufficiently recovered from modding the last game and travelling for WBC. So let's get another one of these going!

IMPORTANT THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE PLAYING. (Especially if new to play-by-forum. Experienced players can probably skip this section).

The forum posts revolve around Conditional Orders (COs) which tell me what your character will do if certain conditions are met. bold your final orders in the forum so I can tell them apart from musings, ideas, or solicitations for advice. The condition "only if no new information comes up about Dracula's trail" automatically goes along with any moves you make, so you can often state your move before your turn comes up without worry. So the Hunters can often post their moves out of order since I will execute everything in the correct sequence, and if anybody runs into the trail or gets a card that gives them trail info, you get a chance to change your plan if you wish.

The die roll code for the train is "fodt". Hunters can go ahead and roll if they know for sure Dracula does not have False Tip-Off, otherwise they should wait to see if he passes on FTO. It's best to GeekMail me a list of destinations and actions for all possible rolls, that way if Dracula passes, I can immediately make the move. If you hold Chartered Carriage, it's best to GeekMail me if you will or won't use it to counter FTO.

So that we can easily tell who is speaking, please precede your posts with one of the banners listed at this link: https://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/57603/fury-dracula-ba... To do this, in-between [] brackets type imageid=####### according to the code for whichever picture you prefer for your character.

Since Hunters can show each other cards in the face to face game, I will regularly GeekMail them with a list of everyone's cards. But since Hunters cannot speak secretly to each other, NEVER communicate privately with another Hunter. ALL discussion must take place in this thread. You can reference things like "my #2 item". In case of any posting mistake, please never edit your posts to remove any text, just like you cannot "un-say" something you spoke at a gaming table. Either use strikeout to show which is the errant information, or just make a new post explaining things. Similarly, never remove any die rolls once rolled, even if rolled by mistake, just add an explanation and let the mod sort it out.

Finally, since there's the possibility that even the first event card kept could be Good Luck or Devilish Power, we must wait for a response from the other side whenever any event gets played. Any hunter player can announce a pass on behalf of the entire group. As soon as I have two such passes in bold, I'll continue the game. Unless I receive a CO to the contrary, I will auto-reveal hunter items when doing so would be beneficial: Crucifix against Quincey, Pistol/Rifle against Wolves, etc. In general, any future decision where you already know what you'll do can, if GeekMailed to me, help save time.

AREA RATINGS. I always submit results from tournaments I run to AREA. It works similarly to ELO; everyone starts at 500 and moves up or down based on winning or losing and the rankings of the players defeated or defeated by. At first it may not be accurate because of sample size, but I hope to run enough games of this where the ratings start to mean something. This does mean I need sign-ups from anyone not already in the AREA system as per the GeekMails you received. No information is getting passed along, it's just there in case there's any duplicate name issues that need to be resolved or similar unusual circumstances.

------------------------------------------------------------------

RULINGS. In case of ambiguities, I will follow this list:

Fury of Dracula PBF FAQ.

With the following exceptions and/or additional clarifications:

1) I will allow Customs Search to be played on Dracula's current location, if there are no encounters there.

2) A fled New Vampire will end the hunter's turn.

3) If Dracula gets the Fangs or Escape as Bat special move, a Hide power card gets removed from the trail if the location where it was played gets replaced. All other power cards stay. If there is no legal move available for Dracula, the Fangs & Escape - Bat are still allowed, Dracula just stays in place instead of moving if he wins.

4) If Relentless Minion gets played, only the outcome of the second combat will decide what happens to the encounter token, and the rest of the hunter's turn.

5) Hired Scouts or Telegraph Ahead won't reveal a Hide card, or the encounter on it.

6) Mina may choose to draw an item in a small city even if she does not draw an event.

7) If a Hunter is under control of the Bats encounter, Dracula may choose to not move the Hunter (and cannot move him through the roadblock nor into already-encountered Fog). Hunters may play "start of turn" effects (except Sense of Emergency, since its effect is during movement), but not "start of movement phase" effects before the Bats take over.

8) If Dracula plays Unearthly Swiftness and two Encounters drop off the trail, either Encounter, but only 1, can be matured, and the other location may be placed in the Catacombs first.

9) If Sensationalist Press is played when a hunter draws Hired Scouts, the Encounter will still be revealed. (As well as which location in the trail it is on, naturally.)

10) Wild Horses can only be played on the turn a hunter has moved to Dracula's current location from another location. If the hunter is sent to a city with an encounter, it is resolved normally. Only Van Helsing (possibly) may Rest or Resupply after this encounter. (The "If he has had an encounter" phrase will be considered to refer to Dracula's location, not to wherever the Hunter was sent). Dracula may not send a Hunter through the Roadblock nor into an already-encountered Fog with this event.

11) Even if Dracula's trail gets cleared, he cannot reverse course during a single sea voyage. Stormy Seas could knock him into the port he embarked from, if the location card is available.

12) Heroic Leap cannot be used when Vampire Lair is resolved.

13) If Great Strength is used to prevent a Bite during combat, the "Bite result" text from Fangs or Mesmerize still applies.

14) Sense of Emergency, Excellent Weather, and Fast Horse cannot be used by a Hunter Group.

15) All cards are drawn 1 at a time. Any ‘Play Immediately’ or ‘Ally’ card must be fully dealt with before going on.

16) I will reshuffle the item deck as soon as it is empty.

I may have left out something, so feel free to ask if you have a particular concern. If I notice a rules ambiguity during the game, I'll do my best to inform the players of my ruling for that situation beforehand. If anything unexpected comes up, I'll make up a ruling on the spot for the game, doing my best to follow the rules as written and to stay consistent with other rulings.

ADJUSTMENTS. The game will use the following adjustments:
* Jonathan Harker reveals encounters on the 6th card as well as locations
* Sister Agatha causes only 1 blood loss for Escape (Man) and none for Fangs. Escape (Bat) and Escape (Mist) are still a loss of 2.

PARTICIPANTS. Players listed first have first priority to get in the game if they wish to play, as well as priority of specific hunter choice. Hunters who don't care which character will receive one randomly. I'd like to get started by Friday, August 26th. If I have a full team ready when I log on that morning (US Central Time), I will start even if someone higher on the list has not responded.

DRACULA.
shpigulinman - declined
cudunn - nr
ZorroRooster - IN

HUNTERS.
Circadian - declined
Flyboy Connor - declined
wodnik26 - IN
leafboy - nr
Rubeus - declined
patparker - nr
Arathon - nr
requiem09 - IN as LG/DS
Caimion - IN as LG/DS/MH
Vorpalgens - IN
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you for the invitation. I am at the moment only interested in playing 3rd edition, though. So I'll pass on this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested.

Also, just for clarification, you might want to add "revealed" before "fog" in #7 and #10.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, good point. Fixed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aqua H2O
msg tools
mb
Yes, I am in. I can say straightaway that I don't have any preferences for Hunter.

Although if we are playing Les Mesmerizables game I don't mind playing as inspector Javert devil

And hello everyone, as this is my first post on this forum
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, now I think it should be "encountered" instead of "revealed" since hunter events/items can reveal fog without encountering it. I think that's the last fix.

I would prefer to play Godalming or Seward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Aqua H20, wouldn't it be Count Javert since he is being hunted?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think that means the Hunters would be Javert, and the Count would be Jean Vladjean.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ah, right. their names are similar, so I get them confused.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aqua H2O
msg tools
mb
Following this thought Mina and Jonathan would be Mr. & Mrs. Thenardier

And I use the nickname wodnik26

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Alright, looks like ZorroRooster will be playing the part of Dracula. We're one Hunter short still. I'll solicit a 4th from a few former players, but at this point, it's first come first served. Whoever GeekMails me / posts on the thread first saying they are in gets the spot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Armstrong
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Checking in! I prefer something besides VH since I played him last time, but I'm not picky beyond that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
The truth is still out there...
badge
Ïa! Ïa! Cthulhu fthagn! Ph'nglui mglw'nfah Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fthagn!
mbmbmbmbmb
It's been a long while since I've played 2nd ed...
So bear with me
Else, I'd be glad to join with whatever you need me to play

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Alright, I'm about to be gone for the day, but first let me figure out who is playing who and give you guys a map so that Hunters can discuss starting locations...

requiem09: 1 = LG, 2 = DS: 1d2 = (2) = 2
Caimion: 1 = LG, 2 = MH: 1d2 = (2) = 2
wodnik26: 1 = LG, 2 = VH: 1d2 = (2) = 2

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
  • [+]
  • 940835. Statalyzer
  • 1d2 =
  • (2) =
  • Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:48 pm
  • [+]
  • 940836. Statalyzer
  • 1d2 =
  • (2) =
  • Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:49 pm
  • [+]
  • 940837. Statalyzer
  • 1d2 =
  • (2) =
  • Sat Aug 27, 2016 8:50 pm
Daniel Blumentritt
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

So our lineup is:

Count Vlad Dracula: ZorroRooster
Arthur Holmwood Lord Godalming: Vorpalgens
Doctor John Seward: requiem09
Professor Abraham Van Helsing: wodnik26
Madam Wilhelmina Harker: Caimion

You may now begin using your character banners at the start of your posts so we can remember who is who once we get past the first page. Here's an empty map for help with start locations. Dracula, I'll get you your encounters by tomorrow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aqua H2O
msg tools
mb

I have not played Van Helsing in a long time, so it was a nice roll.

Do we follow the usual strategy of LG in Eastern Europe, DS in Western Europe, VH in England, MH in center or does anybody has some new ideas?

Anyway, if nobody suggests otherwise Van Helsing will start in Manchester.

PS Its a shame that the banner below is unavailable

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Armstrong
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

I'm good with the standard meta, it's standard for a reason

I'll start in Geneva

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Is there a link to banners?

With VH in UK and Mina at her usual spot i guess i should cover the East with Seward in Spain?

Whee should i start in the East?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aqua H2O
msg tools
mb

I would say that Spain is a good idea. Cadiz?

The images are here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Armstrong
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vorpalgens wrote:
Is there a link to banners?

With VH in UK and Mina at her usual spot i guess i should cover the East with Seward in Spain?

Whee should i start in the East?

I think you mean West?

Any small city in Spain works, really.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mobile Goldieim confused here as I was talking east
Is Seward starting there?
I thought it was better for me as per my money but I'm fine with Spain as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aqua H2O
msg tools
mb

I don't know why I have assumed that you are playing DS. Misunderstandings rules! Especially that now when I reread your previous post, it is obvious to me that you playing LG. I apologize for that.

Then for LG I would definitely suggest East. Any city is good there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carlo Gozzi
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Mobile Goldie

No worries

Sofia it is

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Armstrong
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wodnik26 wrote:

I don't know why I have assumed that you are playing DS. Misunderstandings rules! Especially that now when I reread your previous post, it is obvious to me that you playing LG. I apologize for that.

Then for LG I would definitely suggest East. Any city is good there.

Ha, well, that makes two of us! I also thought you were Seward somehow

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kraus
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

DS here. I will start in Lisbon.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [18] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.