Subject: Enraging twice in a single round? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Angelos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
What a game!

So I'm currently on the "7. Time Phase" of my very first encounter in the first quest and I've drawn "Fury of the Mists". Please note that my time marker on the Quest Charter is one box away from the "Enrage" symbol.

If I follow the rules to the letter then I need to:

1) Move the time marker
2) Enrage enemies in hero areas that can be enraged
3) Then execute the event of the time card which also enrages enemies.

Now given that Fengray is facing a Vampire bat swarm:

...and that he has used his shield and armor I'm at a loss on what to do.

Vampire Bat Swarm gets enraged and attacks immediately (and I gotta discard 3 cards). Then it calms. Does it get enraged again?

Confusing. But still... What a game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joke Meister
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To quote the revised rulebook re the Time Phase:

1. Check the Time value of the card drawn.
2. Move the marker cube on the Time Track accordingly.
3. If at any point the marker cube reached or passed the final space of the
Time Track , the game is over and all players lose.
4. Resolve any Event part of the Text Box.
5. Time Track effects are resolved in the order they appear on the track.
6. Resolve any effects from the symbols on the Time Track the marker
cube passed or stopped on.
7. Each effect must be resolved to completion before resolving another
effect.

As such, I think the vampire bats enrage, attack you, calm down and then enrage again, attack you again and then calm down (again!).

Ouch...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
culturemind wrote:
What a game!

So I'm currently on the "7. Time Phase" of my very first encounter in the first quest and I've drawn "Fury of the Mists". Please note that my time marker on the Quest Charter is one box away from the "Enrage" symbol.

If I follow the rules to the letter then I need to:

1) Move the time marker
2) Enrage enemies in hero areas that can be enraged
3) Then execute the event of the time card which also enrages enemies.

Now given that Fengray is facing a Vampire bat swarm:

...and that he has used his shield and armor I'm at a loss on what to do.

Vampire Bat Swarm gets enraged and attacks immediately (and I gotta discard 3 cards). Then it calms. Does it get enraged again?

Confusing. But still... What a game

Yes you have been caught by the Vampire bats unless you can avoid the event.

As it is your first game I would start again and look through your options , maybe use that 1 resolve to buy a card. Can you push them away or kill them.

I would always play with at least two Characters and use the following:-
Revised Rules:-
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/filepage/135293/mistfall-revis...

Official FAQ:
http://www.nskn.net/en2/games/mistfall/faq/
(the errata cards are available on PDF / Docx format in BGG files.

When I get home I will set up a similar scenario - which encounter are you playing ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
This is the "Into the wilds" first quest and the encounter is "Mutating Mists" (Vampire bats are the result of mutation).

Thanks for the pointers, I'll go through the revised rules just to be sure and try again

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Actually I think this warrants another question:

Fengray has done all his actions for his Hero turn... so can he block or respond in any way to the enraged Vampire bats?

In other words, If I did have cards in my hand that would help mitigate the damage, would I be able to use them considering this is not a "hero turn"?

Thanks for the help!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
culturemind wrote:
This is the "Into the wilds" first quest and the encounter is "Mutating Mists" (Vampire bats are the result of mutation).

Thanks for the pointers, I'll go through the revised rules just to be sure and try again

This is tangential to your question, but it reminds of how I got this card recently.

Is there a reason you didn't just "attack" the encounter card during your hero phase to put a progress token on the encounter? Then, you get a free progress token in the encounter phase and clear the encounter. As long as you can muster up some defense this may be the better way to go.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Angelos
Greece
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
@wwalker98:

Quote:
Is there a reason you didn't just "attack" the encounter card during your hero phase to put a progress token on the encounter?

Truthfully I was just "flexing my muscles" trying out Fengray and Arani. Encouter gives one progress token per turn so I was "taking things easy". Did not expect to get so mobbed so quickly

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wayne Walker
United States
Chuluota
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
culturemind wrote:
@wwalker98:

Quote:
Is there a reason you didn't just "attack" the encounter card during your hero phase to put a progress token on the encounter?

Truthfully I was just "flexing my muscles" trying out Fengray and Arani. Encouter gives one progress token per turn so I was "taking things easy". Did not expect to get so mobbed so quickly

I hear you. It seems that a few aspects the design really beg the player to rush through each encounter. The upside is that it forces you to be super efficient in how you play your hand. The downside is that you don't always get to flex.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerry Tresman
United Kingdom
Christchurch
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wwalker98 wrote:
culturemind wrote:
@wwalker98:

Quote:

I hear you. It seems that a few aspects the design really beg the player to rush through each encounter. The upside is that it forces you to be super efficient in how you play your hand. The downside is that you don't always get to flex.

"In order to cancel damage dealt to your Hero, you may use Reflexes and Special Abilities that cancel damage of the type you were dealt (Physical or Magical ). You are allowed to resolve a sequence of Reflexes in order to cancel damage from a single source, though you can only resolve each Reflex once."

Possible Special Abilities or Reflexes .

Fengray:-

Never Defenceless - useful if you discarded Round Shield instead of placing on top of deck.

Round Shield

Block

Buy with 1 resolve

Resilience - 2 wounds for 1

If you have more resolve:

Impenetrable Shield

Dodge

Strong Back

Arani:- Reflexes used to protect Fengray

Holy Symbol

Sacrifice

Divine protection

If no enemies in Hero area gives +1 Range

Chainmail

Round shield

Fist of Dawn

Buy with more than 1 resolve

Back to the shadows

Read these cards and abilities you may have them or enough resolve to pay.

Also you may now realise how you could have played both differently to either gather more resolve or prepare , a few more trial runs and you will see even mores possibilities.

Abilities that gives you more healing and mean you can recover buried or discarded cards and stack them in your favour. Sometimes it may even pay to have fewer cards in your deck so you can stack recovered cards for your next draw. With reflexes sometimes you can draw out of your turn.

There is so much more to Mistfall than a deck builder you become proficient with training , its very immersive.
Hope that helps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.