C WX
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello guys,

I'm in the midst of creating my own card game and playtesting with others. Had been thinking for quite a while for a suitable name but to no avail. I will appreciate any ideas on the naming.

Okay basically the concept is this:

Players are supposed to create dishes based on the ingredient cards in their hands. They will be able to only place the cards down on the table to score points when they've completed the dish in their hand. There are both easy and difficult dishes to choose from. And there will be power cards along the way to aid / harm the players. Whoever scores the most points will win.

And do let me know if there's a similar game out there like this. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredericus Rex
Germany
Bamberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since À la carte is already taken.

"A la card"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Boguschewski
Germany
flag msg tools
A la carte sounds like a similar concept, although it is not card-based... Maybe if your game is more strategic it will be different enough.

Unfortunately I can't help you with the name since I'm not really creative

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C WX
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Did some googling on the names, a la card sounds great but there's another Kickstarter using 'Cusine a la card' so I'm not sure if there'll be any clashes on the names.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fredericus Rex
Germany
Bamberg
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You could use a German name

"Speisekarten" (Karte = menu and playing card; Speise = Food) ninja

Or english "menu cards"(?)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
chanwx wrote:

Did some googling on the names, a la card sounds great but there's another Kickstarter using 'Cusine a la card' so I'm not sure if there'll be any clashes on the names.

Cuisine a la Card is excellent (I was a backer). It is a deck builder - is this one? Is there the possibility of a mechanism-related pun of some sort?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Johnson
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Meal Deal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Runge
Germany
HH
flag msg tools
Here are some ideas:

Cardboard Kitchen
Lunchtime Reggae
Lunch Break
What's Cooking?
Make a Dish
Dish Granting
Supper Class
Winner of Dinner
Mmmh
Dinner is Coming
Buffet Builder
Chef's Choice
Dish Up!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Recipe War
Sous Chef
Fast Food
Cookbook
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Lee
United States
East Meadow
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sounds a lot like Wasabi!. Not that that is a bad thing since that is a fun game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil McIntyre
United Kingdom
Chesterfield
Derbyshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
chanwx wrote:
Hello guys,

I'm in the midst of creating my own card game and playtesting with others. Had been thinking for quite a while for a suitable name but to no avail. I will appreciate any ideas on the naming.

Okay basically the concept is this:

Players are supposed to create dishes based on the ingredient cards in their hands. They will be able to only place the cards down on the table to score points when they've completed the dish in their hand. There are both easy and difficult dishes to choose from. And there will be power cards along the way to aid / harm the players. Whoever scores the most points will win.

And do let me know if there's a similar game out there like this. Thanks!

Recipe Cards, surely?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandre P.
France
Strasbourg
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What about "best dishes" or "with my best dishes" ?
To play the similarity between dish and wish ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randall COBB
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
debwentworth wrote:
Recipe War
Sous Chef
Fast Food
Cookbook

I was just going to suggest Sous Chef! Debwentworth is obviously an EXTREMELY intelligent person!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Klaus Brune
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if you want a really unique theme twist, how about a game about making the perfect pet food. But who is the best target consumer? Dogs? Cats? Cats are more finicky so harder to please?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathaniel Grisham

Indiana
msg tools
mb
It sounds a lot like Menu Masters to me. Menu Masters is a worker placement game, though. Not sure what your primary mechanics are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Similar food-themed games to look into:

Diner
Lord of the Fries

I feel like there must be more games with similar mechanics that aren't about food, but am having trouble thinking of any-- most set-collection games focus on things that match, or on "any three different cards" sets, as opposed to having a menu of specific combinations that score. But in that vein, there's Cleopatra and the Society of Architects, where the 'dishes' are different types of structure you can build.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek H
South Africa
Pretoria
Gauteng
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
klz_fc wrote:
Sounds a lot like Wasabi!. Not that that is a bad thing since that is a fun game.

Maybe Mamma Mia!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JP Ginley
Ireland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
GASTRONOMICA

YUMYUM or CUISINE YUMYUM

COOKY DOOKY

MIXMASH

CULINARY BATTLE

Agree a really good idea for a game

Bon Appetit !

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C WX
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You guys are so amazing. I see many great potential names. I will shortlist the ones that reflects my gameplay. Thanks so much for the ideas!

As for concept, yes I acknowledge its not easy to create a game that's 100% new. Just want to make sure there's not an identical game out there that's exactly similar. So far from the titles I've seen, they are some differences between theirs and mine so no worries.

Pet food idea! Sounds promising. I will take that in mind. Currently the card game I'm doing is focusing more on western food (it's easier to mix and match). Mechanics wise it'll probably fit into hand management.

Thanks once again for the great response!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
whavoc wrote:
debwentworth wrote:
Recipe War
Sous Chef
Fast Food
Cookbook

I was just going to suggest Sous Chef! Debwentworth is obviously an EXTREMELY intelligent person!

Geek gold coming your way, perceptive gentleman.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Howell
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sandwich Masters plays just like what you are describing. There are 3 sandwich orders to choose from and each gives different points depending on how many ingredients are used. Players can add bad ingredients to other sandwiches and then send in the health inspector to make them discard those cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C WX
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
petehowell50 wrote:
Sandwich Masters plays just like what you are describing. There are 3 sandwich orders to choose from and each gives different points depending on how many ingredients are used. Players can add bad ingredients to other sandwiches and then send in the health inspector to make them discard those cards.

Took a look at Sandwich Masters. Gameplay sounds similar but there are some noticable differences as well. Thanks for highlighting this! Definitely a good example to look at
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Court Marley
United States
West Allis
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also sounds similar to Fish Cook.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.