GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

8,434 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
20 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Merchants & Marauders» Forums » Rules

Subject: List of easily forgotten rules... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
While it's not the most complicated game, every time I come back to it after a break, I always have to look up a few little rules here and there.
Feel free to add/clarify/correct...

**UPDATE**
I've added all suggested rules, plus a couple from the official FAQ.

You are limited to a hand-size of 4 Glory cards.

PORT ACTIONS

If you “buy goods” in the same port two turns in a row, you only draw 3 Cargo Cards instead of 6.

When you Buy Goods and draw multiples of a single cargo type, their prices reduce based on how many are available, not how many you actually buy.

When you buy a new ship you bring the Special Weapons and Crew from your old ship. It doesn't matter if your maximum crew has increased, your crew level still remains the same until you recruit. Likewise when purchasing the Hammocks ship upgrade.

When you are in port you can store up to six cargo cards.

BATTLES

When a player ship with Ship Modifications is sunk, sold or discarded, the player owning the ship must immediately distribute the Ship Modification tokens face down to ports of their choice.

If you destroy a ship that has a bounty you cannot get a reward from a nation that has a bounty on your head, or which your nation is at war with.

Regardless of opponents choice in battle, if you lose after choosing shoot, you get to fire one of your cannons for each of your (losing) successful dice.

Your Seamanship Skill is increased by 1 if your ships Maneuverability is 2 or more higher than the enemy ship.

During Ship Combat if your Masts are destroyed your Seamanship Skill is reduced to 1, and you can only choose Shoot as your action.

You can use the Reinforced Hull ship mod during merchant raids

The only way to claim a ship after battle is if you boarded it. If you choose to do so, remember to set your stats to match the state that ship was in when the battle ended.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good list, here's a few others I always forget after not playing for a while...

Your Seamanship Skill is increased by 1 if your ships Maneuverability is 2 or more higher than the enemy ship.

During Ship Combat if your Masts are destroyed your Seamanship Skill is reduced to 1, and you can only choose Shoot as your action.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Something I became aware of just recently...

When NPC pirates and naval ships share the same sea zone, the pirates won't scout for player merchants, but the naval ships will scout for player pirates.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
When you Buy Goods and draw multiples of a single cargo type, their prices reduce based on how many are available, not how many you actually buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Steer
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:

Genuinely didn't know that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dr. DJ FancyLove
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
the_bengine wrote:
Woelf wrote:

Genuinely didn't know that!

Yeah. Thanks Kyle. We've been playing that wrong for years...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Another one is...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
umbaci wrote:
Another one is...

I believe you can hold as much cargo as you want in port, you just have to sell/trash any over your ships capacity once you leave port.

EDIT: I read the post below, interesting (and funny) scenarios there. Never really ran into that, but its good to know why there has to be a limit of 6 now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Germany
Aachen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The reason for this limitation is dicussed in this post: Re: Cargo Limit in Port.

Edit: It's also in the FAQ.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon St.
Germany
Stuttgart
flag msg tools
mb
the_bengine wrote:

When a player ship with Ship Modifications is sunk, sold or discarded, the player owning the ship must immediately distribute the Ship Modification tokens face down to ports of their choice.

Intersting! There was some review that said after you're destroyed you practically will lose because Modifications are limited and you will stay weak.

Will buy the game tonight :>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Antaiseito wrote:
the_bengine wrote:

Intersting! There was some review that said after you're destroyed you practically will lose because Modifications are limited and you will stay weak.

Will buy the game tonight :>

With the expansion there is an optional rule where 'if you're in a port without a ship mod you may may draw one random Ship Mod from the reserve pool. You can either buy it, or place it face up for sale in the port you are currently in.' Of course you'd need the extra tokens the expansion comes with to do this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
Mods can be good to have, but there arw many other factors when talking strenght of each player

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aneurism
msg tools
mbmbmb
When using Special Weapons, the extra hits are not transferred to hull.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
Australia
Melbourne
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
"Note that a ship can never have a value higher than 5, regardless of ship modifications" pg 4

Can only visit each port activity once during port action.

"Shuffle rejected (discarded) Rumors back into the deck." pg 9

Sell Ship: - 1 Gold per point of damage (disregarding damage to “Crew”).

If you fail Rumor or Mission, card is discarded. Cannot try again later.

Gold can be kept secret, do not need to show how much you have.

You get a Bounty immediately after:
1) Starting combat with a non-pirate ship (This includes Merchant Raids)
2) Defeating a Naval ship (Sinking it or winning Crew Combat)
Merchant Raids 1 bounty. Scouting for Naval NPC and winning battle = 2 Bounty. If the Naval NPC scouted you (don't receive bounty unless you win the battle, i.e. 0 bounty if you Flee when they scouted you)

You cannot get a reward (for winning battles) from a nation that has a bounty on your head, or which your nation is at WAR with. - Pg 11

Masts: If destroyed, you only roll one die during
Seamanship contests and can only select the “shoot” action.[/b]
Oops! wow I just realised we played this wrong, I thought I could board with no masts!! shake

Hits inflicted by two players the same round are inflicted
simultaneously. - pg 14

arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.