Subject: Ultimate 3D BSG with flying models rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
After three years of planning, researching and painting, I am finally ready with this ultimate 3D Battlestar Galactica experience. Gosh, it took some time, but it worth it. This looks amazing. I saw many great paintings in the gallery, and good solutions, but I believe, I made something unique.

Of course the board is now crowded. The players must gesture over the board more carefully. The text on the board is partially covered, but come on, there is no player between my friends, who doesn't know every detail. My purpose was to bring the game to another visual level.
On these photos you see an ultimate battle, but usually there are much less spaceships on the board.

There is logic between the height where the ships stays. The Battelstars are at the top. This height is fixed by the manufacturer, I didn't want to change it. The models are stabile.
Below that are the Basestars. I was thinking to put the Basestars at the top, way higher, but then it could easily fall over.
The next level is the main, the fighter's height. This is where most of the action happens.
And the lowest are the Civilian ships. Those ones need protection, and we barely move them.

The Galactica itself is a Revell model, but it was originally made by Mobeius. I tried to imitate the look of the TV series CGI model, but I didn't want to use metallic paints. Maybe the photo quality is not the best, but I worked on the small details and damages a lot. This ship is almost at the exact size like the image on the board. The base-stand fits perfectly between the rooms, we can play under it.

Colonial One, scratch built by me. Not easy to paint in this scale. This ship is in the same scale like the Battlestars.

Demetrius. I designed this model in Sketch Up. It was hard to find out the exact details, the reference images are pretty dark.

Pegasus ,the Beast. Mobeius model. This one is heavy. I had to glue some stones into the back part to balance it. For the first time in my life, I used pigment technique here. It works well for shading and damaging. Fun fact, I magnetized the head. It is easier to transfer it, and it was easier to paint.

The two Battlestars are at the same scale, you can clearly see, the Pegasus is “huuge” (use Trump's voice here)

The fleet. This was a great challenge, how to get these models in the right size. It is impossible. I didn't want to wast a lot of time to scratch-build, so I looked for an alternative. 3D printing. I scaled free Sketch up models into an ideal size, which looks good on the board, but still playable. The prints itself were pretty cheap an low quailty, but I tried to make those better with painting.
The bases are made by laser-cut. I designed the shape, so that can hold the token nicely. Also, the tokens are switchable all the time, so one ship won't represent the same thing in another round.

The basic Raptors: I didn't drill a hole into these, since these won't get to the board. I tried to make the ships more interesting by upgrades and colors. The first and second are slightly in different shade. The third one has huge radar equipment. The forth one has emergency color scheme. I found great inspiration images on Google.

Vipers II. I like these models.

Advanced Vipers VII. Nice details, it was easy to paint.

Assault Raptors. My only problem is that these size are a little but smaller, than the original Raptors, but you know that.

Cylon Centurions. Probably we will never use more than one, but it was easy to paint, like all the Cylons.

The Cylon fleet. I designed the Raider bases to carry 3, 2 or 1 ships. During the game, we don't have to take up and down the ships from the pipes, we just have to exchange a whole set to another. I also made a ship with the text “STAR BUCK”, and a “Scar” Raider too.

And this is how almost all the ships look on the board (which again, won't happen at the same time).

Finally, I laser-cut an Admiral, and a CAG pin. These are wearable.

Do I recommend this to anyone? Well, if you were a fan of the TV show like me, yes. The Mobeius models are amazing, it is good to see the ships on my shelf. The setup takes much more time now, but the atmosphere is right there.

So say we all!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gntSdL4XFm4
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Kundlak
Slovakia
Bratislava
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Give. Me. This.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renaud Verlaque
United States
Shelter Island Heights
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Insane, but awesome.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very nice looking ones, although like you say, looks a bit crowded.

Bastion wrote:
Cylon Centurions. Probably we will never use more than one, but it was easy to paint, like all the Cylons.

In a recent game, four centurions entered at the same time (fortunate die rolls on where to put heavy raiders on CFB) and cylon leader activated those when they appeared on board. Then I destroyed one from armoury only to put it back on the next players turn via XO as my reveal power. devil

Needless to say, cylons won with 2 centurions marching to the final slot with one centurion behind them. Humans managed to destroy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
jhsa wrote:
Very nice looking ones, although like you say, looks a bit crowded.

80% of the game time, there are only a few ships on the board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Domi Krantz
Hungary
Nagytarcsa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That is awesome!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Bratina
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG, incredible, dedicated work - congratulations!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
UN - BE - LIEV - ABLE

This looks great. Gorgeous even!
Kudos to all the work and the pictures shared! And great job on the painting! It's really good looking!
I wish, I had the time and the space to copy your idea...

Wow....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Incredible job! Well done!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Schmidt
United States
Wausau
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
Thirteen-time World Champion Green Bay Packers!
badge
The time that we kill keeps us alive
mbmbmbmbmb
This is some frakkin' amazing work!

That said, where these photos taken in some sort of torture chamber?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick L
United States
Eagan
MN
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well done! Any chance of sharing the sketch up files?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Beck
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
Felix alearum famis! Et posse impares sumus erimus en tui semper favoris.
badge
Proprietor of The Bored Gaymer, BGG's most popular blog with the words "Bored" and "Gaymer" in the title!
mbmbmbmbmb
This is SO GREAT and AMAZING and delightful.

SSWA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fantasy Flight Games, eat your heart out kiss
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Boyd
United States
Abilene
Texas
flag msg tools
I Play With Toy Soldiers.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
thumbsup WOW ... WOW thumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gerry Smit
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So, uh, when can we come over to play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magnus Lundgren
Sweden
Göteborg
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
Only toasters are that dedicated...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow i want to play with that stuff in a game once. That is unbelievable and a great job.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Salmiaque DePastille
Germany
Bad Oldesloe
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Tasty, great job - enjoy gaming with it!
You set new standards...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it, the next step would be to have giant sized pieces (like they do at the very large cons like Gen Con where the Ticket To Ride board is 40 feet long). If I had the disposable $$, I'd also fly in the actors and hire them to stand around as the cardboard standees cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
ackmondual wrote:
Now that I think about it, the next step would be to have giant sized pieces (like they do at the very large cons like Gen Con where the Ticket To Ride board is 40 feet long). If I had the disposable $$, I'd also fly in the actors and hire them to stand around as the cardboard standees cool

I can't really follow you. What kind of nice pieces you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

I can't really follow you. What kind of nice pieces you talking about?
Did you mean to quote another post? I didn't mention "nice" in that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Máté Kovács
Hungary
Budapest
flag msg tools
mb
"have giant sized pieces"

Forget "nice". So what kind of giant pieces you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ackmondual
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bastion wrote:
"have giant sized pieces"

Forget "nice". So what kind of giant pieces you talking about?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mattias Elfström
Sweden
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Lesperance
United States
Northville
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Now that I think about it, the next step would be to have giant sized pieces

I'm nearing completion of "an intermediate step." I'm going "large" pieces but not quite giant. The board is 6 foot by 6 foot and everything is in proper scale. So, for example the Zephyr ring ship is over a foot long and the base stars are a foot and a half.

I figured that was as large as I could go before the tabletop game turned into a floor game.

Also, given how much I spent on this setup, this intermediate step might very well be the final step.

In November, I'm bringing it to a convention in Michigan called U-Con.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.