Hide
14 Posts

Gloomhaven» Forums » General

Subject: Going Solo rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
AJ Beavor
msg tools
Hey everyone, I'm wondering about how you guys think this game will play solo? I backed the Sword & Sorcery KS but those guys have gone silent and I'm pretty sure the game is getting pushed back to next year. I mainly play solo, so I'm wondering if I should drop my pledge for S&S and go ahead and preorder Gloomhaven? I'm used to playing multiple characters when I'm playing solo, so that won't be a problem for me. I'm just worried that having knowledge of what each character has in hand card-wise might detract a bit from the game and make it easier. If you guys could let me know your thoughts that would be groovy. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe that the recommendation for solo play is to increase the enemy level by 1 to account for the perfect knowledge that a solo player has about what cards are being played.

It's been mentioned that there is a way to adjust the game so that the difficulty is not overly diminished for sure.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
calpurnio pison

rafelbunyol
valencia
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Scott is right.

from rulebook:

Quote:
A single player can play the game as a solo experience by controlling two or more characters at once. Part of the game’s difficulty, however, comes from not knowing exactly what the other characters will be doing on their turn. Because a solo player has precise information about what each character is doing and can coordinate more effectively, the game becomes easier. To compensate for this, solo players should increase the monster level and trap damage by 1 for any given scenario without increasing gold conversion and bonus experience.

i'm planning to play mainly in solo mode too, but occasionally with some friends. i don't know yet how to will do it (because the legacy stuff), but i hope to find the way (but this is another topic).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
calpurnio1973 wrote:
Scott is right.

from rulebook:

Quote:
A single player can play the game as a solo experience by controlling two or more characters at once. Part of the game’s difficulty, however, comes from not knowing exactly what the other characters will be doing on their turn. Because a solo player has precise information about what each character is doing and can coordinate more effectively, the game becomes easier. To compensate for this, solo players should increase the monster level and trap damage by 1 for any given scenario without increasing gold conversion and bonus experience.

i'm planning to play mainly in solo mode too, but occasionally with some friends. i don't know yet how to will do it (because the legacy stuff), but i hope to find the way (but this is another topic).

Same here. I was expecting that, as requested by many people, Isaac provides the stuff to prevent the "legacy" aspects of the game, so I can have two simultaneous campaigns solo/group from the beggining, without having to share the permachanges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adric Olson
United States
Portland
Maine
flag msg tools
Freedumb wrote:
I backed the Sword & Sorcery KS but those guys have gone silent and I'm pretty sure the game is getting pushed back to next year.

Oh, dang, I'd forgotten that I backed that, too! Now I'm bummed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric T
United States
Villa Park
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I also backed both.....will have to wait a little longer then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm also anxiously awaiting both games. However, I wouldn't drop one game just because they'll (potentially - because we don't actually have official word yet) be late unless it's related to limited funds. I would actually say that S&S isn't too far behind Gloomhaven in the production cycle. The last update in Gloomhaven mentioned approving proofs and the mini update in Sword and Sorcery said "All files for the pre-production of the 1st wave of components are now in the hands of our printing supplier, who's working on the proofs."

Obviously, I'm saying... get both!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Beavor
msg tools
Logus Vile wrote:
I'm also anxiously awaiting both games. However, I wouldn't drop one game just because they'll (potentially - because we don't actually have official word yet) be late unless it's related to limited funds. I would actually say that S&S isn't too far behind Gloomhaven in the production cycle. The last update in Gloomhaven mentioned approving proofs and the mini update in Sword and Sorcery said "All files for the pre-production of the 1st wave of components are now in the hands of our printing supplier, who's working on the proofs."

Obviously, I'm saying... get both!

Yep, its a funds thing. I got the immortal pledge for S&S, with that amount I could get gloomhaven and still have $100 left to get another game or two. If S&S cones out on schedule I would definitely keep the pledge, but waiting until next year is way too long to keep that much money tied up for me. $200 is like half of my yearly boardgames budget, and plus, gloomhaven cones out next month. Hopefully gremlins will actually give an update soon do I can make my move!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedumb wrote:
and plus, gloomhaven cones out next month.

Uhmm... where did you see that? I'm pretty sure it won't be at least 2 months before it "comes out".

EDIT: the latest update (August 12th) says it hasn't even begun printing... We'll get by holiday season if we're lucky.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AJ Beavor
msg tools
Hmm, the last time I looked at the kickstarter preorder page it said September delivery, but I might have read it wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
You may call me
Canada
Burlington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Freedumb wrote:
Hmm, the last time I looked at the kickstarter preorder page it said September delivery, but I might have read it wrong.

Those dates are like the delivery dates on Kickstarter campaigns, they're nice to dream about but wise to distrust!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Haugh
United States
Jackson
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Today's update says November is the current ETA.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Woodman
Canada
Coaldale
flag msg tools
badge
Boo!
mbmbmbmbmb
Just curious here (and slight necro-post) I was wondering if it would be possible to play the second (3rd,4th) characters as a draw-deck instead of dealing with perfect knowledge. Could you randomize play order to account for not having preknowledge of the initiative order?

I'll likely play this solo and I kinda like the idea of my partner character behaving more npc like and less like a second main. I'll keep digging through the posts but I haven't seen this idea (as solo has been designed into the game, thanks for that!!!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hladky
Czech Republic
flag msg tools
Currently working on Perdition's Mouth Board game content
badge
Imperial Assault - Imperial Player
mbmbmbmbmb
I think this would not be agood idea. The scenarios are balanced to use the cards efficiently so it would not work. I think the best approach for "guest characters" would be similar to "The Walking Dead Board Game" by Cryptozoid, where you have a general card with "medium good" reusable abilities.

The balance would still require tweaking, but unless you want to fully use the deck, random drawing does not make any sense in this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.