Popular Tags: [View All]
Tony Fanchi
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The Romulan technology Superior Targeting Array had us a little uncertain of how it works in our game last night. It says:

Quote:
Your Ships and Nodes may reroll 1 To Hit Roll in each round of Combat.

Our initial interpretation was that each ship and node could reroll its die once, but that seemed extremely powerful. So we began to think the card allows exactly one die to be rerolled each combat round, which seems much more in line with other technologies.

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
I believe it allows you to reroll 1's once per ship or node each round in combat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agntorenge wrote:
I believe it allows you to reroll 1's once per ship or node each round in combat.

If the above was correct, it would say something like "may reroll results of 1"
Pretty sure that it affects one die at maximum per combat round.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Warnken
United States
Harrison
Ohio
flag msg tools
I'm not crazy. My mother had me tested.
badge
Happy grandfather!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:
agntorenge wrote:

If the above was correct, it would say something like "may reroll results of 1"
Pretty sure that it affects one die at maximum per combat round.

I agree with this interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
agntorenge wrote:

Yep, agree with Jamiri and Mundane.

If you look at fleet cards they say,

This fleet may re-roll to hit rolls of 1 in Space Battles.

Agntorenge, with your interpretation the card would have read,

Your Ships and Nodes may re-roll to hit rolls of 1 in each round of Combat.

The card is saying you may re-roll 1 to hit roll result each round

Your Ships and Nodes may reroll 1 To Hit Roll (result) in each round of Combat.

The card probably should have been better worded and included "result" in the first place. Looks like the community is finding a lot of cards that aren't optimally worded.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lars mallach
msg tools
mbmb
Ah... So basically an auto hit then per round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marc Bennett
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
agntorenge wrote:
Ah... So basically an auto hit then per round?

not exactly, if you reroll and miss, you cant use this ability again to reroll. until the next combat round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Almond
United Kingdom
Nelson
Lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmb
The abilities weakness is balanced by it's range and versatility.

I think it's worded strangely because the designers need to keep in mind tech's can be stolen and need to work with other current and future advancements.

Don't forget you can use the ability to (possibly) reduce the number of hits you get, this can be useful during invasions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bevan
Canada
flag msg tools
Darkmancer wrote:
The abilities weakness is balanced by it's range and versatility.
Can you elaborate on "balanced by its range and versatility because as far as I can tell you get to use it every round of combat and is the strongest combat ability in the game.

I would have put cloaking as the strongest combat ability except it is limited unlike Superior Targeting by being an active turn only ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, this is limited in that it's just one die. If you have a big fleet, one die isn't much. However, being able to use it for both ships and nodes and on offense and defense makes it versatile. Plus it appears to be affect planetary invasions as well (since it doesn't specify "space battles").

Compared to something like a cloaked first strike, which is limited to your ships, on your turn, for just the first round of offense, during a space battle. However, a first strike could potentially destroy an entire enemy fleet of comparable size without losing a single ship.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Bevan
Canada
flag msg tools
If its just re roll 1 die each round instead of all ships get to re roll 1 die each round then its not that strong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nova Cat
United States
Bakersfield
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
apbevan wrote:
If its just re roll 1 die each round instead of all ships get to re roll 1 die each round then its not that strong.

Not as strong, but it applies basically everywhere, all the time. It's absolutely worth the research cost of you plan on attacking or defending much at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Jensen

Arizona
msg tools
japester1 wrote:
Plus it appears to be affect planetary invasions as well (since it doesn't specify "space battles").

I'd say that is a given since the only time that nodes would be rolling in combat is during an invasion.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James J

Texas
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
DrakosDJ wrote:
japester1 wrote:
Plus it appears to be affect planetary invasions as well (since it doesn't specify "space battles").

I'd say that is a given since the only time that nodes would be rolling in combat is during an invasion.

You are correct, of course. I was fixated on the "battle" verbage and didn't think of nodes being used in invasions until later. It's definitely an interesting research item.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gale Force Nine LLC
United States
Earlysville
Virginia
flag msg tools
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
The Superior Targeting Array allows you to re-roll one of your Attack Dice each round, not every dice that each Ship contributes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.