Subject: 45 minutes to victory rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Players in turn order: Me, Cain. a1bert, Tory. Antti, Apollo. Satu, Simon.

Setup Pegasus, CFB, Conflicted Loyalties, Daybreak. Destination Kobol.

I choose Cain to use blind jump on my first turn even if I'm cylon or not. Loyalties are dealt, I'm a plain human with no personal goals. After a brief thinking I decide to blind jump.

2 ships destroyed cost us 3 population and 1 fuel. Distance 3.

President Tory decides to check my loyalty after that blind jump.

Next civilian ship destroyed is the one with population and morale, somehow we managed to destroy the most critical ones first.

Fastforward few crises and there's 3 negative skill cards. Now I know I can choose as long jump as possible on the next jump without worrying about becoming a cylon at 6. Tory now knows Apollo is the cylon.

Next jump takes us to sleeper at distance 5. I get a personal goal (discard skill cards worth of 20 or lose one fuel).

It seems that Simon is also on our side as he moves couple of civilian ships away from imminent danger.

Nothing much critical happens resourcewise (food is 7, morale is around 5, fuel on the other hand is a bit on the lower side and we have plenty of population).

Next jump comes along, it's distance 3 with -1 fuel. We're now at 8 with plenty enough resources that we should make it.

Apollo reveals and sends me to sickbay losing all my 5 cards (including 2 critical situations that I was planning to use on my next turn to save many civilians).

Nothing worth mentioning happens, then Tory plays Test the limits without Galactica taking damage. When it's Simon's turn, jump token is at -3 and he decides to jump (even if, as it turns out, he can't win), losing 3 population taking population to 2.

My personal goal causes us to lose 1 fuel taking fuel to 1. Tory is one of the final five but no goals. Simon had 3 human motives, but he only managed to do two of those (politics/tactics/engineering cards & population below 6), but was unfortunately unable to do the one with FLT or AQ being damaged, nor Justified Response (this was never even close to possible).

All in all, fast and easy game for human win, we were surprised it only took 45 mins. That lucky 3 distance blind jump made it possible (Apollo wasn't too happy with that result).

[Edit: typos]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Good speed run! In one 5p game with all expansions, Cain's OPG also had us a human victory in 1 hour and 15 minutes!

In another game due to Cain's OPG, the cylons only got 2 turns each before the humans won!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
(Also, with a house-ruled treachery deck to account for the existence of CFB. Half of treachery from Pegasus, -2 Bait, -1 A Better Machine, -1 Dradis Contact, -1 Personal Vices.)

With a pre-sleeper cylon on board, things do not normally go as well, but catching the cylon early was a big boon. Also, the first time Tory played a Quorum Card she (me) drew both Calculations and Test the Limits from Adaptable and I was able to hold onto Test the Limits until the final jump cycle. (It was upto the cylon to mess either Cain's Critical Situations or Tory's Test the Limits. He didn't know that then, of course.)

On the other side of the coin I remember a game where Cain blind jumped twice and the humans still lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
...And that's why you should ban Cain from all games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pasi Ojala
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
Get the Imperial Assault Campaign module for Vassal from http://www.vassalengine.org/wiki/Module:Star_Wars:_Imperial_Assault
badge
The next total solar eclipse holiday in 2017 in the USA.
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

Which that's do you mean? whistle

I estimate we have had Cain in less than a dozen games out of almost 200, so she's not appearing very often in our games. (And doesn't usually start the game with a blind jump whether cylon or human.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
One of the reasons I chose Cain (and blind jump) was to make the game shorter as we started the game around 2100 after Cosmic Encounter, 4 x Exposed and Mansions of Madness 2e.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
One of the reasons I chose Cain (and blind jump) was to make the game shorter as we started the game around 2100 after Cosmic Encounter, 4 x Exposed and Mansions of Madness 2e.
Ditto here as well. When we'd like to get in a shorter game, someone will often have Cain picked. Say what you will, but she can shave 15 to 60 minutes off each game. That's truly a super power

For us, we used that saved time to play another game of BSG! cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Janne
Finland
Tampere
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
ackmondual wrote:
Ditto here as well. When we'd like to get in a shorter game, someone will often have Cain picked. Say what you will, but she can shave 15 to 60 minutes off each game. That's truly a super power

Also, it doesn't automatically guarantee human win. Some time ago we had a game where Cain used her OPG twice, but humans still lost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pieter
Netherlands
Maastricht
flag msg tools
Nobody is prefect.
badge
Good intentions are no substitute for a good education.
mbmbmbmbmb
jhsa wrote:
ackmondual wrote:

Also, it doesn't automatically guarantee human win. Some time ago we had a game where Cain used her OPG twice, but humans still lost.

Of course there is no guarantee. But less jump cycles usually means human victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Stewart
United Kingdom
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My favourite Blind Jump was to Misjump to Mining Asteroid, where Scar played Pacman with the Civilians...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Flyboy Connor wrote:

Abilities aside, I particularly dislike Cain because she has no real downside to compensate for starting as the Admiral. Characters higher on the totem pole should be weaker or have a more significant downside the compensate for them starting as the Admiral.

Adama, on the other hand, has a significant downside which compensates for him starting as the Admiral. In my opinion, there is a significant reason for Adama's downside: it's to make it almost impossible for Adama to reclaim the admiralty should it be lost. Which sets up an ongoing theme in the base game: those in power are extremely vulnerable to their subordinates. Roslin, too, has this same downside: she cannot activate Admin without first discarding two skill cards. Meanwhile, the base game introduces two subordinate characters (Zarek and Tigh) that can claim their respective title with a skill check strength under 4.

In my opinion, this is what makes almost each and every expansion character boring: they don't have abilities that interact/inhibit interaction with other players on the ship. This is what makes the base game atmosphere the best.

However, when you introduce a character like Cain...she's chosen simply because she's better and when you have players who play 100% selflessly pro-human 100%, she's broken. I don't know why anyone blind jumps turn one as Cain. The only reason I can see to do it is because you don't enjoy the game and want it over quickly. You should use blind jump as leverage, but it's use has a really big impact on the balance of the game: what it does is trade two population tokens for a lot of skill cards/resources that would have otherwise been used during the jump cycle. Broken.

Face it, once blind jump is used, Cain really has no identity left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
SoCal
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwijiboe wrote:

Face it, once blind jump is used, Cain really has no identity left.

She's still admiral, and people still go ga-ga over her skill set even though it really isn't that much better than Saul's nor Adama's. These 2 have been enough in the various groups I've played in [shrug]

And many folks don't want to bother with Adama since his special is even more lame than Cain's.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kwijiboe
United States
flag msg tools
badge
Hey!
mbmbmbmbmb
Adama's OPT is infinitely more interesting than Cain's OPT.

It's an interesting dynamic when, for example, you're a Cylon Admiral Adama and your mere human presence makes things easier for the humans.

Meanwhile, you can't soft reveal with an Admiral Quarters check when your skill card draw pretty much guarantees any AQ attempt would pass. Thus, Admiral Adama needs to either prepare for the sleeper phase by consuming fuel in anticipation of becoming a Cylon or do all of his damage during the sleeper phase via Admiral Chooses Crises.

With either Tigh monitoring him with his cylon hatred and/or Helo changing his decisions via moral compass and the President potentially encouraging mutiny... Makes this a more interesting dynamic. It's also the price that comes with starting with the Admiral title guaranteed.

Admiral Cain needs a downside... And she just simply does not have one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.