Popular Tags: [View All]
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How important is it that a wargame is based on a historical battle/war?
Very Important - I want accurate historical conflict simulations
Average Importance
Not Important - I'd happily play a game based in a fictional universe
      317 answers
Poll created by frenzykitty
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
brant G
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
caveat - I enjoy hypotheticals. Not sure how that falls on your spectrum. There's "realism" in how you approach the mid-80s WWIII-goes-hot-in-Germany, but it's all fictional.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Difficult, but I voted not important.

There are two reasons, but one of them means I disagree perhaps slightly with the way the question was asked.

1. I have found when reading about historical battles how useful it could be for a historic simulation of a battle to not be about a historic battle, because with all the hindsight that comes with players already knowing about the historic battle. It seems like putting the players in a very historic and good game but make up (or randomly generate) a battle would in many ways create a much more historic game. So it would be a game about a battle, about a historic war (or about a hypothetical, but likely, and still well-researched war), not a historic battle. In practice I do not know of many board wargames that do this. But I think it means I can not support the idea that the game must be about a historic battle/war.

2. I'm fine with fictional wargames. Can't say I have played many, but I would not mind applying wargame-rules to fiction. Not that I do not also want accurate historical conflict simulations, but I do not mind playing also some accurate fictional conflict simulations (or less accurate sometimes).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Leo Zappa
United States
Aliquippa
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's more nuance here than the poll indicates. For example, hypothetical conflict (e.g Next War: Korea or any of the other plausible yet future wars) and alternative history scenarios (e.g. Corps Command: Dawn's Early Light - an alternate universe where WW3 began in Europe in 1989). Also, what about hypothetical scenarios within a historical setting (e.g. Operations Olympic & Coronet - the planned invasion of Japan in WW2). Do you consider these games to be "fictional" in their settings?

Me, I'm fine with any of these, plus wargames based on science fiction or fantasy settings, such as Star Fleet Battles or War of the Ring: The Game of Middle Earth, respectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edward Pundyk
Canada
Ontario
flag msg tools
I suppose one's answer depends on whether one is more interested in history than gaming or vice versa. I was interested in history (military and otherwise) long before I discovered wargaming. I see wargaming as an adjunct to the study of history, so the first option best reflects my view of the question.

On the other hand, science fiction or fantasy-based wargaming holds no interest for me at all, despite the fact that I enjoy reading sci-fi (but not fantasy). Maybe it's because I don't "study" sci-fi but simply consume it for diversion and entertainment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
Must have a real map not a Memoir '44/Battle Cry abstracted version of the terrain. Must present a fairly accurate setting, feeling, mechanics and overall game flow to what really happened. With that said, I don't have the time or patience (or IQ!) to devote to learning a 48-page rulebook. Maybe when I was 16, but not now, 50 years later.

So give me a good flavor of the historical setting and what really happened, an accurate map, good components and pieces, then let it turn into a fun game from there. I do not want to keep track of every unit's action points + distance from their commanding officer + supply level + morale + ammo levels + energy level + exact rifle types and so on. 15 minutes to set up, grab some dice and/or cards, and let's go to it! I admire those who love to play all the exact historical details and wish I was of that ilk, but I look for a balance between historical accuracy and streamlined playability.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mo Caraher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
There's "realism" in how you approach the mid-80s WWIII-goes-hot-in-Germany, but it's all fictional.

Absolutely nailed it, for me.
Where historical conflicts are concerned I need the game to stick to the script for the most part. That's not to say that The Union needs to win the ACW every time or that The Nazis cannot battle their way out of Stalingrad.... I just prefer nothing outlandish to creep into games that cover actual events.

BUT I loves me some Cold-War-Goes-Hot gaming, too, maybe because the events depicted in these games are/were extremely plausible. Anyway, these are the only hypotheticals I've enjoyed. I like the Great War at Sea series, for example, but their Navy Plan (insert colour) games, which allow us to game naval battles that never occurred but were planned for, just leaves me cold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

There needs to be a qualification for scale.

Operational and strategic games, yes I want an historical context.

Tactical games, I want realistic historical context and "typical" situations, but whether that exact fight occurred on date X at location Y involving exactly forces Z is much less important. Simply because patterns in tactical fights repeat over and over, in varying match ups. So a system that allows flexible fights "by kind" can be perfectly historical.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Paquet
United States
South burlington
Vermont
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As posted the question is not very clear. If you want to know if its important for an historical wargame to be accurate, thats one thing. If you ask if we prefer historical based wargames as opposed to fictionnal setting based wargames, thats an entierely different question.

If the question is the first one : Yes but not at the cost of losing playability

If the question is the second one: No, as long as there is realism within the setting (i.e: no power blaster bazooka in an alternate English civil war game)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trent Garner
United States
Fayetteville
Arkansas
flag msg tools
also Game Developer
badge
1970 Plymouth Valiant Duster 340
mbmbmbmbmb
For me, Battletech and Ogre are just as fun as Corps Command or ASL. I am a student of WWII history and love related wargames, but I am also a huge fan of WWIII hypothetical and/or what-if wargames. It is all about the experience of playing the game for me. History adds context and setting, but is certainly not a requirement.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Zurunkel
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I answered Not Important, because I enjoy alternate history and hypothetical situation games. I do prefer those types of games to be grounded in reality. As the above note said, no bazooka in the English Civil War, but I'll happily make an exception if something about the game strikes my fancy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Con
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
Penny of king Sigtrygg II Silkbeard of Dublin
mbmbmbmbmb
It doesn't seem to be possible to choose both 1 and 3. I want my historical games to be accurate simulations (or at least with strong design for effect). I want my non-historical conflict simulations to be true to their theme, whatever that theme might be.

I want my Ameritrash ameritrashy and strong on theme. I prefer my euros strong on theme, and consistent with their theme. I guess that what I most want is strength of theme, and for games to be true to their theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunga Dunga
Canada
Maple Ridge
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It all depends on what you mean by "historical"...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

Right you are, sir! Correctomundo!
I don't think i'd like "Zombies in Space".
But then, Battlestar Galactica has a "history" (Cylons!)...and "Star Wars (Wookies!)..."
and, I suppose the sci-fi tradition of conflicts in Space...is a 'history' of sorts.(Xenophobes).
Heck, "Candy Land" is an abstraction of Real Life... which has a 'history' for the participants... 6 months or older.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pelle Nilsson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hungadunga wrote:

... and by "wargames"?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gareth G
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi everyone. What a great response! Apologies for my lack of clarity. I suppose what I meant is: Would you play a wargame set in a fictional universe (e.g. sci fi or post apocalyptic) or are you onmy interested in wargames that are based on real (or close to) history?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Confusion Under Fire
United Kingdom
Warrington
Cheshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
This;

JasonC wrote:

There needs to be a qualification for scale.

Operational and strategic games, yes I want an historical context.

Tactical games, I want realistic historical context and "typical" situations, but whether that exact fight occurred on date X at location Y involving exactly forces Z is much less important. Simply because patterns in tactical fights repeat over and over, in varying match ups. So a system that allows flexible fights "by kind" can be perfectly historical.

At the tactical scale I want to try to play the role of squad leader, platoon commander, Company commander etc. I want FoW and friction and be able to deal with sudden problems. If I know the historical information, eg enemy units and starting positions, reinforcements, weather etc then I am further from playing the role of a leader but also closer to playing a historical game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
I prefer historicity and also like good science fiction. History just tends to have more depth to it and so is more interesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James D. Williams
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frenzykitty wrote:
Hi everyone. What a great response! Apologies for my lack of clarity. I suppose what I meant is: Would you play a wargame set in a fictional universe (e.g. sci fi or post apocalyptic) or are you onmy interested in wargames that are based on real (or close to) history?

How real is this Universe , anyway?
Here I sit in an ocean of air fifty miles beneath an interstellar vacuum suffused with microwaves that have travelled 13.6 billion yeras from the beginning of Time... on a sphere of silicon and iron hurtling around a monstrous hell-hole of a fusion fireball.
And I, a descendant of a pre-biotic molecule, a bag of hydrous polymers called a brain coordinating my post and ruling my moods with chemical hormones... liable at any instant to be mercilessly scavenged by invisible microbes.
What a fantasy!
Wargamers note: "God doesn't play dice."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
George Brinton wrote:

Wargamers note: "God doesn't play dice."

He does too! He just uses heavy die modifiers and a CRT.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Cawley
United States
Anthem
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gareth - I prefer historical conflicts because they are generally rather interesting in the command skill required. When people just make crap up, the result is generally "pants". An unplayable mess of no great interest. A combat system with a single optimum. Balance created instead by purely parallel vanilla to avoid the previous. Loose analogies to history, done poorly. Skipping on research to get right to the fun "making stuff up" part - for the designer, with the players an afterthought at best.

I have no confidence in your ability to create interesting fiction.

If you are JRR Tolkein himself, you may have proved your ability to create interesting fiction beyond the need for my approval. Bully for you if so. Otherwise, 999 chances in 1000, you are just getting ready to push some dumb "line" of your own in which I am not even remotely interested. Just trying to be straight with you, all very much one man's opinion, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Janik-Jones
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
Up Front and Combat Commander rule! The Raven King (game publisher) ... that's me!
badge
Slywester Janik, awarded the Krzyż Walecznych (Polish Cross of Valour), August 1944
mbmbmbmbmb
I selected "Very Important" but remain confused a bit by the question.

Quote:
How important is it that a wargame is based on a historical battle/war?

I'm more than open to a war-game that proposes a scenario/battle that didn't occur within the framework of a specific war, for example, but that conceivably could have. I like the what-if of that situation. For example, what would an urban assault on Moscow have looked like if the Germans had succeeded in pushing that far.

I can also accept gaming a conflict that didn't quite occur but is within the realm of reasonable historic possibility (i.e., a WWIII type battle in 1970s or 80s Europe that resulted from tensions between two ideologically opposed enemies) as long as the forces are represented accurately.

Fictional universe though? Not so much. I like history too much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M Hellyer
United States
Aurora
Illinois
flag msg tools
frenzykitty wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. I play wargames to replay and learn more about history so real settings and geography, and real situations are needed. Otherwise it's just an abstract and make-believe stuff doesn't hold my attention.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Doran
United States
Columbia
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
frenzykitty wrote:

Thanks for clarifying. Doesn't change my answer, though. I prefer historical games, and even just ones depicting warfare. I've been interested in military history since I was a small child, and got into wargaming as a way to learn more and have some fun, too. Not interested in other board games at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
Not of the slightest importance at all to me. I do play and enjoy historical wargames, but I also play and enjoy sci-fi and fantasy. It's all good (except the period after Napoleon and before some form of FTL / fusion power / and portable lasers).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.