Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Erik Hullinger
United States
Plainfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Need clarification on a situation that came up last night. A duel occurred between two players. The losing player was also the doctor. He immediately healed his cowboy and then placed him on another opposing players building to take half the income. I couldn't find an exact rule saying this was an illegal move, since you can place a healed cowboy on any action that hasn't been resolved or uncontested location. However we did house rule that this move was illegal because it doesn't allow the opposing player to defend his building. What's everyone's thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Powell
United Kingdom
sHifnal
Shropshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Interesting point, I haven't got the rules at hand, but I would say if you have already passed the income stage and income has been collected on that building then illegal move.
However, if you haven't got there yet I would say that's perfectly fine.

I wouldn't think not having the opportunity to defend is a strong case to house rule.
Reason, if a building you own has an opposing cowboy placed there and you have passed or you have played all your Cowboys then you have no opportunity to defend.

But if house rulings make the game more enjoyable then carry on and have fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Bush
United States
West Linn
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cynotik wrote:
since you can place a healed cowboy on any action that hasn't been resolved or uncontested location.

Doesn't the above statement answer that question? ANY UNCONTESTED LOCATION. How is this ambiguous?

As the previous poster said, if it provides ALL of you more fun, then house rule away. But I would say that your house rule is not in the spirit of the rules nor would I assume all players in your game agree to the house rule (being out voted is not fun).

But fun is the key to any game, knowing the rule for next time will set the game on even footing for all and hopefully lead to an enjoyable experience.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike White
United Kingdom
stockport
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Resurrecting this because we had the same issue today.

The point is do the duels in the income phase happen first or are they simultaneous with gaining income?

If it's the former then you should be able to move losing cowboys to other uncontested buildings.

Without this it seemed a weak role.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
mbmbmbmbmb
Slim Chalkey wrote:
The point is do the duels in the income phase happen first or are they simultaneous with gaining income?

I don't think the Doctor would be much use if you couldn't steal income. The only spots after Gain Income are the victory point spots which will already be filled most of the time.
(Edit: Well maybe the isn't a good point as I realize duels can happen earlier in the track too—not just on Buildings!)

So yeah, I think for the income phase you'd have to resolve all the duels first, which would allow the doctor to be used, and then everyone gains income for where their cowboys remain. Any other order would be too random.

"Duels happening first" is implied for all the other action spaces as well, but I couldn't find it explicitly stated in the rules.

The only other discussion I've seen on the Doctor is here and no one disputed being able to steal building income:
Miner and doctor questions

Looking into this, I noticed the Big Box rules adds a change to the Doctor which I've bolded:
Quote:
Doctor charges $3 to any player who wishes to reposition a defeated cowboy (outduelled by another player or an outlaw) onto an uncontested and unperformed location/action space, rather than into the players personal supply. If several players may reposition a defeated cowboy, they can consult the doctor (a Doctor’s cowboy is always rst, then in the order following the pass order track). The Doctor pays nothing for healing his own cowboys. Moreover, the Doctor receives $3 from the central bank for each defeated Outlaw. Cash limit: $60.

That boosts the Doctor role as well, at least when playing with the Outlaws.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Mesich
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Maybe if I hit it with my wrench?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The role POWER is pretty weak, but he also has a $60 cash limit.

When the rules say "location" here, they don't refer to buildings. They refer to the areas of the action track like "Nevada State Bank" and "Town Council of Carson City."

The slash is supposed to be an indication actions / locations are the same, not actions spaces OR locations (as if Buildings were.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.