Star Trek: Ascendancy» Forums » General

Subject: Ascendancy Playthrough by Angry Joe on Twitch rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
I saw this link buried in a thread and think people interested in watching a playthrough might have missed it there. Thanks to Dunnlang Cathail for posting it.

I haven't watched it yet so can't comment on the quality. A few months ago I saw Joe's Star Wars Rebellion playthrough and it was terrible, full of rules violations and sloppy play!

Hopefully this one will be better.

https://www.twitch.tv/angryjoeshow/v/82889197

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Switzerland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for providing the link, but for the fact that the one on Rebellion was sooooo bad, I do not even try to watch it this time :-).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
"Music is the mediator between the spiritual and the sensual life." ♯ ♩ ♫ ♪ - Beethoven
badge
--------ViSiT--------- ---------------------- DockingBay416.com ---------------------- ------for some------ ---------------------- -------STAR--------- -------WARS-------- --------------------- ------l-o-v-e--------
mbmbmbmbmb
Jamiri wrote:
Thanks for providing the link, but for the fact that the one on Rebellion was sooooo bad, I do not even try to watch it this time :-).

Haha, ya totally.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rebellion was painful to watch, and the rules mistakes made during gameplay quite frustrating. But considering that AJ was the only person posting such video content for such an anticipated title, I still watched it. It wasn't one of my prouder moments...

However, watching AJ as a very sardonic and profane Nero, his buddy rocking the Riker beard and the Klingon from Uranus was actually quite entertaining. AJ probably got some rules nuances wrong, but the gameplay was decent.

I still think there's a culture about video game reviewing that doesn't quite translate smoothly into its board gaming equivalent.

Prop's to AJ.

"Prepare to fire Sarcasm torpedoes! Full spread!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought it was a terrible playthrough!

I love Joe's enthusiasm, and the costumes were great, but the game wasn't represented "as it should be" because of countless rules violations.

The problem came from the fact Joe was the only one who read the rules, and he didn't understand the rules. All the other players followed his lead which lead to a bastardization of the game. It wasn't as bad as his Rebellion playthrough (that was a horror movie), but it was pretty bad.

For example, they all used impulse speed to get around - they had no concept of how to properly use the warp drive rules. It was so sad to watch and many more mistakes followed.

I wish Joe learned to play the game properly before streaming it but, I don't think he has the proper mindset to ever interpret rules well on his own. Something stops Joe from reading the rules and following them closely. Maybe if other players read the rules before the game it would help him. Still, there were times when he or another player would read a card aloud and then do something different than what it said.

All that can be forgiven, but if Joe's going to rant about a game, then he definitely needs to learn to play the game properly first. You can't comment with authority on something you don't understand. Joe gave his playthrough a 6/10 because although Ascendancy "held a lot of promise" he would "need to add a lot of house rules for it hit the table again." This had me rolling my eyes. It didn't even enter Joe's brain that he might have been playing wrong.

Every board gamer knows how meticulous you have to be to get a game right. Joe doesn't understand this and seems to treat Ascendancy like a video game. In video games you don't have to worry about the rules governing "the environment" only yourself. In board games you must self regulate the sandbox you play in by closely following the rules.

The only thing I thought was interesting from the playthrough was someone suggested that perhaps each race should have a specific win condition. Also, the Federation player reminded me of Riker which was neat.

edit: spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tommy Roman
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I do agree with your impression, although I personally felt uncomfortable commenting on the rules mistakes or AJ's conclusions when I myself have not actually played the game (I'm one of many GenCanters). Despite his missteps, I am very happy that I pre-ordered the game because I will employ the correct rules.

Also, I found it amusing how Joe kept pronouncing hegemony more like "hedge money".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kain
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
I don't like name calling. So I won't call out Joe as being a full blown idiot. I like to think he built a YouTube person and plays it well. He clearly has a following and people enjoy his brand of... Him. Though whenever he does a play through of a game like this...

He just seems that he's not able to comprehend the rules or at times even the basics. This game isn't even that complex by 4X standards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grish
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
tommygunn2011 wrote:
Also, I found it amusing how Joe kept pronouncing hegemony more like "hedge money".

Haha, ya. That was funny

Dark63 wrote:
He clearly has a following and people enjoy his brand of... Him. Though whenever he does a play through of a game like this...

He just seems that he's not able to comprehend the rules or at times even the basics. This game isn't even that complex by 4X standards.

Ya, I get what you are saying.

To be fair to Joe, he built his brand doing video game reviews and they are quite entertaining and funny!

When it comes to boardgames though, he just doesn't know how to play them properly. Before I met some real boardgame geeks, I was much like Joe, sloppy in reading rules and how cards interact. If we all perused a rulebook and sat down to play, we would end up playing a match much like Joe. So I can kind of see where he's coming from.

What I don't understand is, if all his board game streams are so sloppy and he has lots of views, he must have heard criticisms right? So why isn't he getting better? If he's serious about streaming board games, he needs to improve his product!

I think Joe should go and find some boardgame geeks and play with them for a while. Their gaming habits and mindset might rub off on him and do some good.

TL;DR

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.