$60.00
$20.00
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Hi!

When i pick Brennen Blackcloud as phoenixborn, my opponent can only choose 3! of the 6 base game PBs because there are only 10 black dice included in the game.
Why does Brennen not use 5 dice of 2 types, as all the others do?
Can you buy additional dice or are they only available in the core set?

greetings, Julian

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
admin
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Julian,

If you want to be able to play any matchups with just one set, you need to get 5 more dice of each type. They are available from Plaid Hat. The latest two Phoenixborn also use just one type of dice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeffrey
United States
flag msg tools
Make it so
badge
Captain Picard
mbmbmbmbmb
You can also buy a second base set, or just proxy one die for another. Whatever PB your opponent chooses, there will be two types left that are untouched. Just use 10 of those for your PB.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks for the reply, but
a) I live in europe and the dice set from phg store (5 dice of all 4 colors) costs 33$ (shipping included) to ship to my place. For that price, i could get a whole new game, so this really is not an option atm.

b)I am definetly not bying a second core set just to get the replacement dice, that would be even more expensive (45$ dollars).

I guess i will have to proxy the dice with others from the base game.
I really find this strage, why did they not think about this problem? They are forcing you to buy extra dice even though you already paid for the expansion PBs. thumbsdown

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donny Behne
United States
Fate
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
lowplayercount.com
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Enroth186 wrote:

I really find this strage, why did they not think about this problem? They are forcing you to buy extra dice even though you already paid for the expansion PBs. thumbsdown

They knew this would happen, but no one is being forced to buy more dice. As you noted, half the matchups from the corebox are viable without any changes necessary. For the other half, it's easy enough to swap in a different five dice for the Ceremonial dice you need.

At some point, a line had to be drawn about how many dice to include in the game. After the art, those dice are easily the most expensive thing in that box. Even normal dice can be expensive. Larger than normal, custom dice are substantially more expensive. They gave you enough to play the base game as it arrives. With a little flexibility, any matchup can be played and, for those with the disposable income, an extra set of dice can be purchased.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Channell
Australia
Townsville
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Probably not the best comment from me; however, I would suggest that a Core Set is "really" designed for one person. The added bonus of playing with more is... A bonus... If you get what I mean...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Citizen Badger wrote:

The 'LCG', Living Card Game, format tends to cause a lot of confusion in that it attracts board gamers who probably had no interest in the CCGs that inspired them. And that's great that they bring that crossover, but it also means they bring a lot of expectation that just don't hold in the format. Two chief among them are "Why should I buy the same 'game' twice?" and "Why can't I play with X people out of one box?"

I sort of agree with you on this one, in a way. However, I do feel that Ashes - the core set at least - is more of a game than any of the FFG LCGs. At least you can play Ashes straight out of the box with the pre-built decks. Yes, its true that if you want the *full* deck building experience then each player will need their own copy of the game, but Ashes is playable as just a game, without the tag of LCG, CCG, or deckbuilding.

As I said though, the FFG LCGs on the other hand, absolutely aren't. I bought into a few of these but I sold them all other than Thrones 2.0. And yes, I realise this is probably the worst offender. Is it playable out of one copy of the box, even with two players? Not really. There are prebuilt deck options, but they ignore a lot of the core game mechanics which isn't what you want, especially if you're teaching someone the game.

But thats the thing with deck builders isn't it? You have to be willing to invest in them, and have other people who are equally willing to invest in them. Thats why I got rid of Netrunner and Call of Cthulhu, because they were just taking up space. Ashes is just a different beast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbie M.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Waspman wrote:
Citizen Badger wrote:

The 'LCG', Living Card Game, format tends to cause a lot of confusion in that it attracts board gamers who probably had no interest in the CCGs that inspired them. And that's great that they bring that crossover, but it also means they bring a lot of expectation that just don't hold in the format. Two chief among them are "Why should I buy the same 'game' twice?" and "Why can't I play with X people out of one box?"

I sort of agree with you on this one, in a way. However, I do feel that Ashes - the core set at least - is more of a game than any of the FFG LCGs. At least you can play Ashes straight out of the box with the pre-built decks. Yes, its true that if you want the *full* deck building experience then each player will need their own copy of the game, but Ashes is playable as just a game, without the tag of LCG, CCG, or deckbuilding.

As I said though, the FFG LCGs on the other hand, absolutely aren't. I bought into a few of these but I sold them all other than Thrones 2.0. And yes, I realise this is probably the worst offender. Is it playable out of one copy of the box, even with two players? Not really. There are prebuilt deck options, but they ignore a lot of the core game mechanics which isn't what you want, especially if you're teaching someone the game.

But thats the thing with deck builders isn't it? You have to be willing to invest in them, and have other people who are equally willing to invest in them. Thats why I got rid of Netrunner and Call of Cthulhu, because they were just taking up space. Ashes is just a different beast.

LCGs are playable out of the box. The decks may be less focused and more random but I don't know of any core mechanics that are ignored.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Dick
Germany
Wiesbaden
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
They gave you enough to play the base game as it arrives

That is not true. If you play 3 or 4 players and 3 decks with the same 5 dice are picked, you also get that problem that you miss 5 dice , even with the base game alone. This is not a problem only found when using the expansions.

Quote:
The 'LCG', Living Card Game, format tends to cause a lot of confusion in that it attracts board gamers who probably had no interest in the CCGs that inspired them. And that's great that they bring that crossover, but it also means they bring a lot of expectation that just don't hold in the format.

But this expactation is mainly caused by PHG writing 2-4 players on its "ticket to ride" standard boardgame sized box and the price tag resembles more a fully fledged boardgame than a LCG core set (at least here in europe). Don't you think that raised false expectations in the first place? I like that FFG says that Lord of the rings LCG is a 1-2 player game out of the box.

Ashes says 2-4 Players on the box. In the boardgaming world this usually means that there are enough components in the box so that 2,3 or 4 players can play the game as is. It really should have written "2player only" or even "1player-u need two boxes to really play the game flawlessly". There are drafting rules included, but the multiplayer rules aren't really all that flashed out. Maybe the problem here is that ashes really looks like and imho wants to look like a boardgame for 2-4 players but it really "just" ist a core set of an LCG. I still like it very much, but it should have been marketed differently.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig O'Connor
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
roborob wrote:

LCGs are playable out of the box. The decks may be less focused and more random but I don't know of any core mechanics that are ignored.

Yeah, I may have exaggerated a bit. I know that both Call of Cthulhu and Netrunner are playable out of the box, though you are limited to specific tactics and play styles per deck.

However, with the suggested pre-built decks that are suggested in Thrones 2.0, then the Loyalty mechanic is ignored. It may not seem like a major thing, but - especially if you're teaching someone new to the game - it isn't a good example of laying out he ground rules for deck building.

Ashes at least has a little more flexibility straight out of the box, at least as a board game, if not a deck builder.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.