Subject: Best Co-operative Card Games rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One of the best games I've played is Sentinels of the Multiverse. I love the powers and theme and co-operative nature. Unfortunately, I have one unique problem with the game - I don't play games with sexualized characters. I know that Sentinels is nowhere near as bad as any of the Marvel or DC games, but there is still more than I like.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game definitely has none of that, and the art is amazing and I'm a LOTR nerd, but I've found I don't like deck construction games. thumbsdown

So I'm trying to find a game that would be a mixture of the clean art of LOTR but the gameplay (or similar) of Sentinels.

Any ideas?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
I have one unique problem with the game - I don't play games with sexualized characters. I know that Sentinels is nowhere near as bad as any of the Marvel or DC games, but there is still more than I like.

Good on you for knowing what you like.

There's the Legendary Encounters line. Of course, Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game does include an actual prostitute as a main character, so...whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daily Grind
United States
Raleigh
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
Of course, Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game does include an actual prostitute as a main character, so...whistle

I like to think of her as a Geisha, but... yeah.

I'll add Shadowrun: Crossfire if the 'Gritty marines' style art is deemed acceptable. (Not marines, specifically, but bipeds with guns)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John E
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you like the fantasy theme Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game is excellent!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
+1 for Shadowrun Crossfire. Women are equally represented and empowered, and none of the art is sexualized.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
threepointthed wrote:
I have one unique problem with the game - I don't play games with sexualized characters. I know that Sentinels is nowhere near as bad as any of the Marvel or DC games, but there is still more than I like.

There's the Legendary Encounters line. Of course, Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game does include an actual prostitute as a main character, so...whistle

The Legendary games have really appealed to me, but Marvel has the same problems as Sentinels and the Alien didn't really grab me. Are there more in this legend other than these two and Firefly?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Brown
United States
Okemos
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
wamsp wrote:
threepointthed wrote:

The Legendary games have really appealed to me, but Marvel has the same problems as Sentinels and the Alien didn't really grab me. Are there more in this legend other than these two and Firefly?

Although I'm not sure if having issues with the others really means a new one will fix those, Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:

There's Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game, but if you didn't like the Alien theme, you may not care for this one either...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
One of the best games I've played is Sentinels of the Multiverse. I love the powers and theme and co-operative nature. Unfortunately, I have one unique problem with the game - I don't play games with sexualized characters. I know that Sentinels is nowhere near as bad as any of the Marvel or DC games, but there is still more than I like.

The Lord of the Rings: The Card Game definitely has none of that, and the art is amazing and I'm a LOTR nerd, but I've found I don't like deck construction games. thumbsdown

So I'm trying to find a game that would be a mixture of the clean art of LOTR but the gameplay (or similar) of Sentinels.

Any ideas?

I appreciate your concerns. Allow me to share my two-cents on the issue if I may.

1) if you don't want to support games that feature such art, then, well, you shouldn't buy the game. Full stop.

2) if, however, you're not at the point where you're boycotting the game, but simply don't want to be exposed to such art, there is a plan B. If you're sleeving the cards, it's really easy to find substitute art and glue it over the original, offending artwork. I did that for 7 Wonders - a game that I knew my family would love, but which I was not comfortable bringing to the table b/c of a couple of unsavory card images.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K S
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:

Any ideas?

Just did a BGG search for co-op card games, sorted by rank. Have you considered Hanabi, The Grizzled, Paperback, or Onirim? I haven't actually played any of them, but none of them seem to feature sexualized characters. There's also Pathfinder Adventure Card Game and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game; I haven't played either, but considering fantasy art in general, they may not be what you're looking for...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
threepointthed wrote:

Any ideas?

I appreciate your concerns. Allow me to share my two-cents on the issue if I may.

1) if you don't want to support games that feature such art, then, well, you shouldn't buy the game. Full stop.

2) if, however, you're not at the point where you're boycotting the game, but simply don't want to be exposed to such art, there is a plan B. If you're sleeving the cards, it's really easy to find substitute art and glue it over the original, offending artwork. I did that for 7 Wonders - a game that I knew my family would love, but which I was not comfortable bringing to the table b/c of a couple of unsavory card images.

These are both really good points, and I've thought long and hard about them both. I've come to the conclusion that I'm sitting at #1 which is tough because there are games I'm going to miss out on, but for me, its the right thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
wamsp wrote:
threepointthed wrote:

Any ideas?

Just did a BGG search for co-op card games, sorted by rank. Have you considered Hanabi, The Grizzled, Paperback, or Onirim? I haven't actually played any of them, but none of them seem to feature sexualized characters. There's also Pathfinder Adventure Card Game and Warhammer Quest: The Adventure Card Game; I haven't played either, but considering fantasy art in general, they may not be what you're looking for...

Grizzled is great - waiting for m At Your Orders expansion to arrive! Hanabi I've tried and didn't like. Paperback I'm excited for and I want to check our Onirim too.

That's the problem I'm finding - I love fantasy theme, but beyond LOTR, its hard to find what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll have to make my own game...

What about Mistfall? Rune Age? Runebound?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James C
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
Professor X wrote:
threepointthed wrote:

Any ideas?

These are both really good points, and I've thought long and hard about them both. I've come to the conclusion that I'm sitting at #1 which is tough because there are games I'm going to miss out on, but for me, its the right thing.

For what shall it profit a man, if he play a nice game, and suffer the loss of his soul?

If I felt that a game was really pushing that kind of art, I wouldn't want to support it either. In the case of 7 Wonders, I felt as though the two designs I objected to were borderline, and didn't evince an agenda (for lack of a better word) of promoting such stuff. I felt as though I may have been overly scrupulous. But then again, I might be simply rationalizing ....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Professor X wrote:
threepointthed wrote:
Professor X wrote:
threepointthed wrote:

Any ideas?

For what shall it profit a man, if he play a nice game, and suffer the loss of his soul?

If I felt that a game was really pushing that kind of art, I wouldn't want to support it either. In the case of 7 Wonders, I felt as though the two designs I objected to were borderline, and didn't evince an agenda (for lack of a better word) of promoting such stuff. I felt as though I may have been overly scrupulous. But then again, I might be simply rationalizing ....

I've never read that translation of Mark 8:36! But yes, unfortunately there are lots of really fun things, board games and otherwise, that we need to think hard about!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm probably not the best person to answer because I just want the art to be good, or at least not distractingly bad (Legendary Encounters: A Firefly Deck Building Game and Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China) and/or inconsistent. Unless such imagery got to Red Scorpion levels of absurdity, I probably wouldn't really pick up on it - and at which point, I would mostly be amused by said absurdity.

matthean wrote:
threepointthed wrote:
wamsp wrote:
threepointthed wrote:

Although I'm not sure if having issues with the others really means a new one will fix those, Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China
Unfortunately, Legendary: Big Trouble in Little China is really not that good for cooperative play.

Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game also has problems, because unlike Legendary Encounters: An Alien Deck Building Game, which is a fully cooperative game, Legendary Encounters: A Predator Deck Building Game is two half games one exclusively cooperative and the other exclusively competitive and the lack of content for each really hurts the replayability.

threepointthed wrote:
That's the problem I'm finding - I love fantasy theme, but beyond LOTR, its hard to find what I'm looking for. Maybe I'll have to make my own game...

In a fantasy theme, your best options for a cooperative card game might be the deck builders Bulwark or Shadowrift.

Bulwark has no art at all, closer to Dominion-style deck building (as opposed to Ascension-style), and works well for 2-4 players.

Shadowrift also has Dominion-style deck building, can be played up to 6 players, but I don't think it scales as well across player counts. I don't remember the art as being terribly sexualized (see caveat at top of this post); maybe the Witch was the most such character, but I don't think she was showing more than some shoulder. You should definitely look into the art for yourself, especially since I cannot speak at all for the art in the final version of the soon to be released first useful expansion, Shadowrift: Eve of the Sickle Moon.

There is also the upcoming Aeon's End, but as a kickstarter from not that long ago, it will be quite a while before it is released, and I definitely cannot speak to the final art for the game.

As a side note, the games that I can think of that are probably closest to Sentinels in terms of game play are probably Last Starfleet, Galactic Strike Force - which is terrible, and Slaughterville (very simplified, dice based), which I've only played once. I'm pretty sure that Slaughterville, with it's Flying Frog photo-style art, and at least one playable character named "The Hottie", whose ability is to get another character to come to her location and fight for her (which was actually useful in the game I played), would not work for you.
Your best bet of those three would be to check out Last Starfleet (Deluxe edition). It's a sci-fi not fantasy setting (though I'm sure you guessed that just from the name). I don't recall the art being terribly sexualized (again, see caveat at top of this post), but I don't think there was much art at all.

threepointthed wrote:

Mistfall I found to be completely underwhelming (and I really wanted to like the game too). I would definitely advise trying before you buy, if at all possible. Do not go into the game thinking of it as a deck building game, it is much more of a hand management game, closer to the Pathfinder Adventure Card Game series.

Rune Age only has 1 brutally difficult cooperative scenario (maybe a second one with the expansion), and very, very little variability and thus replayability for said scenario.

Runebound is definitely not just a card game. It can easily last quite a while, even with third edition putting a hard cap on the number of turns; so much so that you may not want to play with more than 2 or maybe 3 players. I'm not really a fan of the "token flip" combat system in third edition, but in general it is probably a better game than second edition (and likely much easier to get a hold of).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Theo Peters
Canada
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well Adam, for not being the best person to answer, you gave some great information!

I've had Bulwark recommended before but haven't really looked into it yet. I'll take a look at that and Shadowrift.

I generally like fantasy more than sci-fi, but I will look at Last Starfleet as well if its similar to Sentinels.

I was kind of worried about Mistfall and Rune age for those reasons - they aren't amazingly ranked on here and there's reasons for that.

Thanks for the info!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Gordon
Canada
Lethbridge
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I don't think that it has any sexualized art in it but I'd have to flip back through the image gallery but have you ever considered The Big Book of Madness?

Awesome game! Good co-op experience. Good deckbuilding. Theme runs deep and appropriately used. If you or your family likes Harry Potter and I recognize some people don't I think that this game is a fantastic pick.

EDIT: I looked again and image ID 2694541 is the one that may have some sexualized nature to it, particularly the green female in the lower right, check that out and see if it passes your threshold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United States
flag msg tools
I appreciate your concern, I also love Sentinels. I have never noticed anything overtly sexual about the game overall myself but you may have some characters that I do not. However, if a particular character is offensive to you could you simply remove their deck and no longer play them anymore?

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Manuel Gracia
United States
Chapel Hill
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've heard nothing but praise for Shadowrift, so I kickstarted Shadowrift 2nd Edition and am still waiting for it to ship.

Someday I'd also like to play Big Book of Madness and XenoShyft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben MacFarlane
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
compressorman wrote:
I appreciate your concern, I also love Sentinels. I have never noticed anything overtly sexual about the game overall myself but you may have some characters that I do not. However, if a particular character is offensive to you could you simply remove their deck and no longer play them anymore?

Chris
A lot of the art in a given deck in Sentinels pulls in other characters, which is great except for in this context...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Strong
United States
Springville
Utah
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmb
I love this discussion! And I love finding out that there are many people who see this as a problem. Sentinels is one of my favorite games. It sat at number one for three or four years. Our solution was to buy a big pack of sharpies and we spent a night "Modestifying" the deck. I know that is crazy to some people, but we had a good time going through every card and covering them up. In most cases you can barely tell anything was changed, unless you pick up the card and really examine it. If you take this route make sure you don't stack the cards until they dry thoroughly!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Tucker
United States
Warren
Michigan
flag msg tools
A game is a series of decisions; a good game is a series of interesting decisions
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:
I've heard nothing but praise for Shadowrift, so I kickstarted Shadowrift 2nd Edition and am still waiting for it to ship.

For Big Book of Madness, players either really enjoy it or find it fairly bland and repetitive, with not nearly enough to differentiate each play of the game.

The initial kickstarter release soured XenoShyft for me. The small expansions available with the kickstarter, XenoShyft: Onslaught – Grafting Lab Expansion and XenoShyft: Onslaught – Psychogenics Lab Expansion in particular were clearly not play-tested enough. I know there has been more created (and perhaps even fixed) for the game since then, but even without those issues, it seems that the game goes on for far too long for what it is (2,3, or 4 player - the mere thought of 5 or 6 player is horrifying).

So hopefully you do indeed get to try them without purchasing first.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fanofuna wrote:

XenoShyft has a pretty good app (also on Steam).

Bye
Thanee

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Gray
United Kingdom
Nottingham
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
threepointthed wrote:
wamsp wrote:
threepointthed wrote:

Any ideas?

Grizzled is great - waiting for m At Your Orders expansion to arrive! Hanabi I've tried and didn't like. Paperback I'm excited for and I want to check our Onirim too.

Beyond baker street? There's a bit more to it than just cards but basically only what amounts to a small mat/board as may be used for deck builders, for tracking progress. An alternative method could be found.

I'm not completely convinced by the coop mode of play for paperback, the game is primarily a competitive game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You will love Aeon's End

- Women everywhere.
- Women are not sexualized at all, but are strong magic wielder, and are the most apt at mastering said magic. Male characters who can manipulate this magic are seldom, although some are in the game.
- Set-up is reminiscent of Sentinels of the Multiverse : choose a nemesis, choose 1-4 characters, build their decks and roll baby
- Unlike SotM, you can't get screwed on a bad draw. The Nemesis deck is divided in three tiers and scales throughout the game, meaning you can build your power up.
- This is a special kind of deckbuilder with no shuffling involved, meaning it's more skill than luck-driven.
- The player interaction is real. Much more developped than in SotM (which I still love). Cards let you give benefits to other players. Decisions are discussed, and targets for the Nemesis effects are chosen by the players.
- Different Nemesis have very different playstyles. Some are purely agressive, some screw your deck up by tempting you with power, some try to swarm you, while some deplete your options.
- You choose the tools you fight with: the game has a market setup à la Dominion, where you select (or randomly select) the cards you'll be able to buy throughout the game.
- You have tons of things to do during your turn.

Con:
- The characters don't have their own deck. But they have a personal power, a unique starting card, a different setup from other characters in terms of cards and breaches, meaning that they do not play the same as each other.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.