Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
25 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » General

Subject: What are some of the bigger Legacy Spoilers? *SPOILERS* (Obviously) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Emil Nygaard
msg tools
mb
Hi

I am interested in hearing what some of the big game changers are. There's been some "Woah!" moments in the earlier Legacy games (please don't spoil those here) and I am wondering if there's anything like that.

A new advisor and stuff like that is just.. More stuff.. I am thinking if we get to change the game upside down!

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes there are some WOAH moments. But I won't spoil them There were a few times we were giddy with excitement after opening packs.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Nass wrote:
Hi

I am interested in hearing what some of the big game changers are. There's been some "Woah!" moments in the earlier Legacy games (please don't spoil those here) and I am wondering if there's anything like that.

A new advisor and stuff like that is just.. More stuff.. I am thinking if we get to change the game upside down!

Thanks!

Lance (Undead Viking) is posting periodic reviews with spoilers, I'd recommend watching those.

I'd certainly prefer (and I imagine most folks would) that nobody just make a list of all the unlocks and post them publicly.

Play the game! If you're this interested in it, I think you'll enjoy the experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
ObsoleteThree wrote:
Yes there are some WOAH moments. But I won't spoil them There were a few times we were giddy with excitement after opening packs.

I am super curious to know what made you feel like that

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Emil Nygaard
msg tools
mb
It would definitely suck to simply stumble upon such a list, which could happen even with spoiler tags. I will check out the videos you are referring to. Thanks
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kernunrex of America
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
WOW BOB WOW
badge
Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mbmbmbmbmb
Seconded -- anyone have some big spoilers to post? I'm very curious after reading the Polygon review in which the guy opened all of the secrets to see if it was worth further playing (Polygon review)

Me, I'm never going to buy this game. Everyone seems to agree that it starts off far too slowly and I know my gaming group would never survive this, no matter what cool stuff might be buried in the box for games 10-15.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
It did start poff slow for us, though in our case our 2nd game went really slow because we had 5 players and did not complete the 'unlock' milestone in game 1 ... so in game 2 we only had one milestone and all but about 6 sites were explored so it was a little anti-climactic for that game. I highly recommened that anyone playing try their best to assure they at least complete the 'unlock' milestone before the end of game 1. After that it has gone fine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This thread has "Spoilers" in the title, can somebody please just post some spoilers? I am never in my life ever going to play this game, I'm just interested in what actually happens that's so crazy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alejandro
United States
Hurst
Texas
flag msg tools
Sometimes you have to roll the hard six.
badge
I'm getting my men...
mbmbmbmbmb
No kidding.

Came here for spoilers, found people talking about how they won't post spoilers in a thread specifically made for spoilers. Even tagged so people who don't want to read spoilers can avoid... lol.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The most fun unlock I have seen:
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Ha! You thought this was going to be an awesome spoiler, didn't you! Unfortunately, I haven't played the game yet, so I've got nothing...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zandert33 wrote:
This thread has "Spoilers" in the title, can somebody please just post some spoilers? I am never in my life ever going to play this game, I'm just interested in what actually happens that's so crazy.

I think most people are. This game looks like a complete flub, one that will be used to help define what works and what doesn't work for legacy games in the future, and unless someone tells me something along the lines of "Oh no, it's totally worth 40+ hours of difficult, boring investment" with something solid I'm not going to believe otherwise.

So ya, please, someone spoil SOMETHING to make this game even seem slightly interesting and not some horrible, badly concocted narratively droll piece of crap.

Otherwise, I'm just going to assume most people who are playing the game are falling in to the trap of not wanting to have wasted their time and money and just assuring us "Oh no it'll get better" in a desperate attempt to convince themselves that it's not horrible.

And no, I'm not taking your word on it, I want solid answers. If people see things they don't want to, they should be more careful about what they read.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
zandert33 wrote:

I think most people are. This game looks like a complete flub, one that will be used to help define what works and what doesn't work for legacy games in the future, and unless someone tells me something along the lines of "Oh no, it's totally worth 40+ hours of difficult, boring investment" with something solid I'm not going to believe otherwise.

So ya, please, someone spoil SOMETHING to make this game even seem slightly interesting and not some horrible, badly concocted narratively droll piece of crap.

Otherwise, I'm just going to assume most people who are playing the game are falling in to the trap of not wanting to have wasted their time and money and just assuring us "Oh no it'll get better" in a desperate attempt to convince themselves that it's not horrible.

And no, I'm not taking your word on it, I want solid answers. If people see things they don't want to, they should be more careful about what they read.

I want solid answers to how it's a 'solid flub' ??
Otherwise I 'assume' you know nothing

So if you know the 'spoilers' going in, it will make the game
..better ?? whistle

Keven Spacey is Keyser Soze _ now go watch The Usual Suspects

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex P
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's a good comparison, because "The Usual Suspects" is a movie that lives or dies on the spoiler. It's complete garbage that is only interesting because the audience gets lied to. If you remove the spoiler, then it's clear to see how flawed the movie is.

Seafall is apparently a game that is only worth checking out because the spoilers. I haven't heard many completely positive reviews from early playthroughs, it's always about the hope of better things.

I also think its completely rude to spoil a movie that had no context in this thread. People came for Seafall spoilers (so far have gotten none) and you out of nowhere spoiled a movie.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kskato wrote:
Rimewisp wrote:
zandert33 wrote:

I want solid answers to how it's a 'solid flub' ??
Otherwise I 'assume' you know nothing

So if you know the 'spoilers' going in, it will make the game
..better ?? whistle

Keven Spacey is Keyser Soze _ now go watch The Usual Suspects

It's a flub because, as Alex pointed out, I have yet to see a review that wasn't lukewarm with a side of "Oh but once it gets better!"

Also nice evade by the way. If you don't have anything positive to contribute, please at least avoid trolling. People who are here obviously want spoilers, enough to justify spending a pretty penny on a game and at least 30-40 hours on a game that, as of now, just seems from reviews to be island hopping with no real direction other than the various goal of "Do this amount of trading" or "Build this amount of colonies".

So yes. If I heard from a spoiler that, at the end of the game, you face some pretty fantastic creatures, including an X, a Y, and a Z and that the buildup and tedium stops around X, I'd be quite pleased and consider this game.

Also if I am going to watch a 20 hour movie that slogs like a horrific march for the first 10 hours, yes, I -am- going to want part of it spoiled because I'm not a masochist and I'd like to know if I'm really truly going to think hour 20 was worth it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
How is it not trolling to call a game a "complete flub" based on having only read or watched reviews from people who have played through ... what, maybe 15-20% of the content, tops?

To my mind, most of the lukewarm reviews have been given by people who didn't want to play to begin with -- but had to because they were expected to review the game for their blog.

If Rahdo reviewed Diplomacy, or Risk Legacy, or any number of popular multiplayer games and reported that it was a terrible two-person game, would you call those games flubs based on that?

whistle

(Still eagerly waiting my preorder, despite they naysayers ... who haven't played the game.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Becq wrote:
How is it not trolling to call a game a "complete flub" based on having only read or watched reviews from people who have played through ... what, maybe 15-20% of the content, tops?

To my mind, most of the lukewarm reviews have been given by people who didn't want to play to begin with -- but had to because they were expected to review the game for their blog.

If Rahdo reviewed Diplomacy, or Risk Legacy, or any number of popular multiplayer games and reported that it was a terrible two-person game, would you call those games flubs based on that?

whistle

(Still eagerly waiting my preorder, despite they naysayers ... who haven't played the game.)

No, it's actually not, because I am not attempting to elicit negative responses.

Trolling: make a deliberately offensive or provocative online posting with the aim of upsetting someone or eliciting an angry response from them.

They are specifically attempting to elicit negative reactions, not focusing on the topic at hand but rather going for personal attacks at people in the thread. Examples being Becq and Howard who did not add anything to the thread other than trolling.

Your first comment was legitimate trolling. Bait and switch isn't kind, nor is it particularly helpful. It's usually for the lulz and it adds nothing to the thread.

My opinion may be unpopular and it may be unkind, but I have not at any point directly insulted anyone in the thread to attempt to get a negative reaction, so no, I have not been trolling. I am allowed to have a negative opinion based on what I have seen.

And no, I would not use a single review as a basis. However when pretty much every review I have read comes across the idea that "Oh it's a decent game, but I can't wait for it to actually get good" after 2-4 (or more) hours of play at it's kindest and "Wow, this is super boring, is anything going to happen?" at its harshest, you have to wonder what the commonality is.

And it's a viewpoint that I will gladly and wonderfully concede to if anyone, and I mean anyone, would actually be nice enough to share what people obviously want to know in the thread.

It does no one else a disservice, as the thread is clearly labeled, the spoilers can be put in spoiler tags, and in general it would help people who are worried about the game.

Let me re-iterate:

I -want- to be wrong. Please prove me wrong. Make my horribly one sided opinion switch on to it's end and totally prove me to be an unfounded boob.

But so far, no one has attempted to assist anyone who was interested in this thread, ranging from me (the asshole in this discussion) to the generally benign people. And that, combined with the reviews, is making it hard to believe that there is some grand reveal that makes the game anything more than 15 sessions of sailing around the world, grabbing trade goods, and building colonies. Maybe a bit of pirate fighting, but that seems, from reviews, to be pretty merciless.

The creator promised some seriously powerful narrative stuff with this. And unfortunately, the best I've gotten so far is from a review that "The story in SeaFall plays out a bit like a mystery on a TV show like Lost, and we’ll have to see if it pays out in the end." And that's... a shot in the dark there. And that's a problem for me and obviously a few other people in this thread.

So again, I welcome with open arms people proving me wrong. But I'm not going to take a 'trust me' when I potentially have to invest 15 game sessions in to this. I want to like this game, but so far it holds all of the warning signs of disappointment and false hope.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Howard Massey
United States
Wichita
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

meh_
Its a RPG for friends to adventure & create a world
[or what that world allows
It's a commitment , from interest & enthusiasm...

Howard the Troll says you've already answered you question by
your statements.

"I want solid answers"(uuuh, your so demanding!)
"please, someone spoil SOMETHING to make this game even seem slightly interesting and not some horrible, badly concocted narratively droll piece of crap"
"I -want- to be wrong. Please prove me wrong"
"potentially have to invest 15 game sessions
"I welcome with open arms people proving me wrong

Nah , you should forget this game.
You already know it

If the beginning games are 'complete flub' [ confirmed by your reviewer,
why would you sit through them.
'Untruthful game Creator' ...
What 'spoilers' could blot out that waste of time ?!
What multitude of orgasmic 'Spills & Thrills' could erase the the wasted life
worthlessly spent on flub games ?

Nay I say, for some_ none arrrh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rimewisp wrote:
And no, I would not use a single review as a basis. However when pretty much every review I have read comes across the idea that "Oh it's a decent game, but I can't wait for it to actually get good" after 2-4 (or more) hours of play at it's kindest and "Wow, this is super boring, is anything going to happen?" at its harshest, you have to wonder what the commonality is.

Here are some brief reviews taken from the ratings section of this forum, filtering for ones from people who have indicated that they actually played the game (and discounting a particularly positive review from JR):
Quote:
From a mid-development version playtest, one game session only so far, I'm giving this a 9.75... only Here I Stand and Chess do I rate so highly.

No I can't tell you anything about Seafall other than it's excellent.

Exploring, sailing, raiding, in a legacy format. Sold!!!
Prologue was easy to learn and fun.

Playtested this through several iterations, and it was fun and well put together. Saving the last star for when we get to actually play our preorder.

Played the Prototype. Seems like the final product should be a ton of fun.

Initial rating based on playing the Prologue and the first game proper. A tremendously enjoyable experience. Story elements engaging. Looking forward to seeing legacy evolution of game. This is a play of the final version of the game.

Based on a play of the prototype, I'm looking forward to seeing how SeaFall evolves. I enjoyed it!

Playtested the prototype version. It's a really interesting gaming experience and I look forward to the actual game.

There are a much smaller number of negative ratings, with the same filtering:
Quote:
The gameplay is stodgy and tedious, and for the most part the legacy stuff is merely more stodge and tedium. The narrative is also stale and uninteresting.

This game feels much like the cave exploration story/choices of Above and Below with a even more simplified Merchant and Marauders. Some bias as I expected a game with more empire building elements found in games such as Clash of cultures, Civilization, or to a lesser extent games such as Mare Nostrum with it being categorized as a "4X" game and while the "X's" are there, most are EXTREMELY light. Although I've only played 4 games I feel as though this game was made more for exploration than any of the other 4 "X's" Involved,

And in between we have:
Quote:
Playtested this. Although I can see that it will be a great game for certain groups, it is definitely not a fit for mine. Too long and slow for us. This takes nothing away from the excellent game that it is and will be.

I actually think that last review was the most useful; he stated that he personally didn't like it because it moved slowly, but despite that felt that it was an excellent game (presumably for people who have greater patience for such games).

For video reviews, I see four that appear to be based on more than a quick demo:
Quote:
mayonesiac gave what I will call a glowingly positive review

Gyges gave a fairly negative review. (I found this review particularly interesting, because he gave a thoughtful discussion on what he felt were negative points -- and I was able to conclude that the things he didn't like didn't matter to me.)

TomVasel's review was mixed. Sam's reaction was positive, Zee's was negative, and Tom's was in between, but trending positive. In general, the reaction seems to be that the first game or two were slow, but that the legacy additions improved the game.

UndeadViking's reviews are harder to read. The words are positive, but the tone seems subdued.

So to summarize, the response among the professional reviewers (some of whom appear to have been pressured into testing the game) has been about even. The response among those who tried the game because they were drawn to it was heavily positive (80% or so positive). Overall, I'd put all of the review together as indicating that SeaFall is "a great game for those interested in the theme and game style, but may not appeal to all players". The main discriminating point between liking the game and not liking the game seems to be tolerance for a slow build-up. (Note that this is entirely based on my analysis of reviews; I have not yet played.)

So ... what is your definition of a "complete flub"? Mine apparently differs from yours.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Gambatese
United States
Mentor
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OMG --- complete spoilers in the title and after trudging through a SEA of muck not a single spoiler ...
Delete everyone of these responses - not one of them are relevant to the question asked in the title ---
GIVE SPOLERS OR KEEP YOUR HANDS OFF THE KEYBOARD !!!
PIRATES ARE HIJACKING THIS SPOILER THREAD !!!
Rant done
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kernunrex of America
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
WOW BOB WOW
badge
Harry, I have no idea where this will lead us, but I have a definite feeling it will be a place both wonderful and strange.
mbmbmbmbmb
barbarianprince wrote:
Delete everyone of these responses - not one of them are relevant to the question asked in the title ---

Indeed. We've got a bunch of folks bizarrely offended that other people aren't as interested in this game as they are. All righty. I'll start things off with the few scraps of spoilers I've heard so far:

From Undead Viking: Session #3 - SPOILERS!!... the only interesting thing mentioned was that there are ghost ships. One of the player's ships was destroyed and an event card was triggered that said:
Quote:
At the end of the round, the sunken ship rises from the waves to terrorize the closest ship to the space marked with this sticker.

From Dice Tower: Miami Dice #200B... the only interesting thing mentioned (outside of the ghost ship) was Tom saying "octopus things have been mentioned." Is it Cthulhu? Is it a Kraken? Who knows?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
kernunrex wrote:
barbarianprince wrote:

Indeed. We've got a bunch of folks bizarrely offended that other people aren't as interested in this game as they are. All righty. I'll start things off with the few scraps of spoilers I've heard so far:

From Undead Viking: Session #3 - SPOILERS!!... the only interesting thing mentioned was that there are ghost ships. One of the player's ships was destroyed and an event card was triggered that said:
Quote:
At the end of the round, the sunken ship rises from the waves to terrorize the closest ship to the space marked with this sticker.

From Dice Tower: Miami Dice #200B... the only interesting thing mentioned (outside of the ghost ship) was Tom saying "octopus things have been mentioned." Is it Cthulhu? Is it a Kraken? Who knows?

all that stuff was underwhelming but at least it added someone completely new and there is no kraken after that milestone is finished only more mystery
After one person got 17 points from 2 explore actions made this game seem like viticulture with the ridiculous cards that make you go "what the hell!" when someone else plays them
I tried for the thing sam or zee was going for and found out that was not only nothing interesting but seems like the event associated with it would penalize me for an already WEAK path
the path of (don't click if you don't want to be spoiled
Spoiler (click to reveal)
building colonies, 6 resources each for 4 points, it will take you most of the game to barely make 1 and offers a meager 4 points. Each game after that you will need to pay 6 money during a winter AFTER the harvest plantations phase to activate it and it will give you only ONE resource from its island each winter including the winter you active it on

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad George
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
You want spoilers? Spoilers ahoy.

Each colony has a special power (some better than others). Examples include sailing bonuses, endeavor bonuses writhing a certain radius of the colony, and more buying and selling options.

The empty sea spaces start filling up with islands, atolls, currents, ancient portals, and dangerous waters.

There are ancient tombs. Once you unlock them you get a tomb exploration map similar to the map at the beginning of the captains book.

Eventually there are relics and ancient tablets each with unique powers.

The narrative is actually well written and pretty cool. We just finished a game today where we found, and subsequently pissed off the pirate king who controls his own island.

More building and ship upgrades show up that are pretty cool. The event deck is constantly changing and we add advisors to that deck almost every session we've played (sometime we play two games in one sitting though).

Our group is loving it but obviously YMMV. Hope these were the type of spoilers you wanted.
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Our group is enjoying it as well so far ... 5 games and 3 chests unlocked so far (4th will be unlocked next game for sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Stack
msg tools
mb
Characters, provinces, timeline, advisors of our games so far:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will Martin
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webspinner202 wrote:
You want spoilers? Spoilers ahoy.

Each colony has a special power (some better than others). Examples include sailing bonuses, endeavor bonuses writhing a certain radius of the colony, and more buying and selling options.

The empty sea spaces start filling up with islands, atolls, currents, ancient portals, and dangerous waters.

There are ancient tombs. Once you unlock them you get a tomb exploration map similar to the map at the beginning of the captains book.

Eventually there are relics and ancient tablets each with unique powers.

The narrative is actually well written and pretty cool. We just finished a game today where we found, and subsequently pissed off the pirate king who controls his own island.

More building and ship upgrades show up that are pretty cool. The event deck is constantly changing and we add advisors to that deck almost every session we've played (sometime we play two games in one sitting though).

Our group is loving it but obviously YMMV. Hope these were the type of spoilers you wanted.

Gold for you for being the first decent human being in this thread who owns the game. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.