Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
8 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Game Groups » Australia » QLD (Brisbane)

Subject: Any Brisbane Board Gamers that enjoy "long games"? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: australia [+] [View All]
Colin Coyle
Australia
flag msg tools
Howdy guys,

Firstly hi to everyone in Brisvegas into board games and gamin in general.

My name's Elphie and I run a medium (16 member) group of gamers that gathers weekly (usually in smaller numbers by booking) to play many types of games.

We've been playing HeroScape for years and are also into the rather more epic games (Twilight Imperium, LoTR Risk etc).

I'm curious as to whether there's anyone out there who prefers larger, and therefore longer games and either wanted to meet with us or let us know of a group that plays them on a regular basis (preferably at night). I found one such group but the organsier had closed it down and now goes to Critical Mass. I'm very much considering checkin out Critical Mass with my group, but it seems (no offence) that only really short (under 1 hr) games are played frequently (from the recounts of evenings).

Hope to hear from you all soon,
Cheers,
Elphie.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew H
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
By all means come along, you would all be more than welcome.
As for the length of games we play, the night time events are only 4 hours with many people arriving in dribs and drabs after the start time (7pm). This means long games don't fit well.
We do play 2 hour games and 1.5 hour games very regularly but it is difficult to fit two of them in in one games night a lot of the time, plus we have many gamers, including children and gamers with children, who prefer shorter game length.
It is worth considering that if you were to come and offer to teach a 3 hour game I'm sure you would get players.
Most of the games that are brought to the games nights are brought by John (Friendless) who usually brings and plays a lot of shorter games and myself- I prefer 1 to 2 hour games with a few fillers. The other games that are brought along generally fit in the short to 2.5 hour range because we finish up around 11 or 11:30pm.

Recent medium length games that have been played include El Grande, Taj Mahal, San Marco, Railroad Tycoon, Tikal among others. One reason why it looks like we spend more time playing short games is because we fit so many short games in to the same time as the few longer ones... obviously.

Maybe we will see you on May 4th.
I hope you find what you are looking for.

I don't know why you thought I or others would take offence that most of our games are too short for your liking. I doubt you would be offended if I said that your games are way too long.

Out of interest, when and where does your group meet and what is it called?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith done
Australia
brisbane
queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi Elphie,

LXG meets monthly on the third Sunday at Cavendish Road SHS Assembly Hall. in addition to typical Eurogames that run for 1.5 - 2 hours we also play longer games like Twilight Imperium, Fury of Dracula, Civilization, Britannia, Kingmaker etc. The all day format is ideal for those bigger games.

Also, Winter Retreat is being held on the 22nd - 24th June. Its a kind of 2 day gaming getaway, held in Stanthorpe and its a great venue to play some of those really big games (like Civilization).

For more info visit:

http://au.geocities.com/qldlegs/

Regards,

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Farrell
Australia
Rozelle
New South Wales
flag msg tools
Averagely Inadequate
badge
Buster Keaton from 'Go West'
mbmbmbmbmb
I find longer games (TI3 is a good example) amazingly dull and I just don't have the stamina. However there are guys like CyberKev, jwalduck and OzGamer who seem to be happy to play them. I don't see the attraction in a game that takes 4 hours then you lose all of your stuff because of some crappy dice ... I'd much rather be stuck with a Q and a Z. Elphie, you're very welcome at Critical Mass!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fraser
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
admin
designer
Back in the days when there were less maps we played every map back to back
badge
Ooh a little higher, now a bit to the left, a little more, a little more, just a bit more. Oooh yes, that's the spot!
mbmbmbmbmb
Friendless wrote:
I find longer games (TI3 is a good example) amazingly dull and I just don't have the stamina. However there are guys like CyberKev, jwalduck and OzGamer who seem to be happy to play them. I don't see the attraction in a game that takes 4 hours then you lose all of your stuff because of some crappy dice ...

John, maybe you should try Diplomacy or Civilization, no dice there. However if it not just dice that puts you off long games, then you should steer clear of them. For me reaching the end of a game of Diplomacy or Civilization is a reward in itself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
keith done
Australia
brisbane
queensland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Like John, I prefer my games to be about 1.5 hours long and not heavily dependant on dice rolling but, ever so often, I get the compulsion to play a really long game! I think it hearks back to long days of playing "Rise and Decline of the Third Reich" in the school holidays when I was a young 'un in the 70's.

Currently I'm looking forward to playing "Twilight Imperium" at this year's Winter Retreat weekend at Stanthorpe. Last time I played it, it was an abysmal session - but only because three of the players hated long games and didn't realise what they had got into! Now I am quietly assembling some dedicated souls who are committed to carving out their chunk of the Imperium.

As for Civilization, I personally have no time for it but I know a guy who loves ithe game and hosts an invitational weekend on his farm at Maleny every two years. If anyone is interested let me know and I'll give you his email.

Regards,

Keith

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Rowlands
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I happen to love long games. I own Twilight Imperium 3rd Edition, but I just can't find any players (apart from my brother). So I am more than happy to get involved in a gaming group who like TI3 (and other long games, such as Samurai Swords - which I own).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Samuel Hinz
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm keen to play both game, and have played neither

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.