Subject: Strategy, German, Euro-style recommendation please rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
c sanchez
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
hi
our neighbor has organized a group of us for game night- he provides all the games and our group wants to get him a present as his birthday is coming up. I have access to Compleat Strategist in NYC, but I have been overwhelmed whenever go in there. Can someone suggest games which would be good to add to his collection?

This is what we've played under his tutelage:
Ra
Settlers of Catan
Carcasonne
7 Wonders
Big
Puerto Rico
High Society
Lord of the Water Deep
(and others which names i dont recall )

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would suggest moving up in complexity a bit. Some of my favourite games include (in order from less of a step up to greater complexity/heaviness):

Glen More - great game, plays up to 5, second edition coming out fairly soon
Viticulture Essential Edition - probably my top pick for him, very thematic, and it plays up to 6
Caverna: The Cave Farmers - table hog, straightforward, plays up to 7
Hawaii - great, great game, excellent components, very thematic, plays up to 5
Keyflower - can be cutthroat, but smart, different, interesting, plays up to 6
La Granja - great farming simulation, very interesting and fun
Bora Bora - dice, fairly simply but very complex if you want to figure out how to score well
Trajan - the mancala is brilliant and everything fits together well, a classic
AquaSphere - awesome game! simple yet super-deep, tactical, very colourful and fun!
Dungeon Petz - The best game of all time (to me), perfectly thematic, smart, perfect...

The last six listed here could be considered to have about the same, medium-heavy, weight. I could suggest more if you're interested.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hello! Great to hear you're getting into board games.

A couple I would recommend - of similar weight to the list you've provided:

- Notre Dame - a euro, point-salad game. Very accessible with interesting card drafting and action allowance mechanics.

- Glass Road - a touch meatier than the titles you've mentioned, but a lot of fun and plays very quickly for up to 4 players.

- Gold West - an area control game combined with a mancala mechanism. Plays very quick but offers great and difficult decisions. Plays 2 to 4.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am always surprised that so many BGGers are unaware of how impossible some games are to find.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael
Canada
Niagara Region & Buffalo
Onatrio & New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
I am always surprised that so many BGGers are unaware of how impossible some games are to find.

If someone has owned a game for some time, they won't be in the know about current availability.

And OOP games like ND are still floating around for trade, on ebay, etc.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mitch Willis
United States
Kathleen
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
If he doesn't have 'em already, you might try Scythe or Terra Mystica...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
Tip: find out if your neighbor has a BGG account and if so, get his user name. Then search for him in the search bar, open his page and click on his wishlist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Eldard
United States
Burke
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I recommend some of my favorites . . .

Evolution (due out any day is the improved Evolution: Climate)

Tin Goose (network building with a great demand mechanic)

Between Two Cities (lite, but fun; plays up to 7)

Power Grid (classic; also has numerous expansions)

Splendor (simple rules; great game)

Castles of Mad King Ludwig (folks have fun building their own castles)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
But the drumbeat strains of the night remain in the rhythm of the newborn day.
United States
Riva
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Get a copy of Wings for the Baron before it's no longer available. A great German style game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c sanchez
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
pfctsqr wrote:

David, yes- this I have come to understand as our game master always talks about what great lengths ($$$) he went through to get some games he used to play when he was younger!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
c sanchez
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
quill65 wrote:
Tip: find out if your neighbor has a BGG account and if so, get his user name. Then search for him in the search bar, open his page and click on his wishlist.

ahhh, very astute. but this is a gift in secrecy and I won't be getting that user name without arousing suspicion. though i am sure he is a member

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Burt
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmb
cs2eye wrote:
quill65 wrote:

ahhh, very astute. but this is a gift in secrecy and I won't be getting that user name without arousing suspicion. though i am sure he is a member

Oh, well then he's probably already read this thread and you should be getting a message from him shortly, such as, "Yo Sanchez, check out this cool new game I'm thinking of buying [BGG link]. Do you think the group would be interested? Oh, BTW, my username is xxxxxx."

Seriously though, it's hard to recommend a game for someone without knowing their collection and their preferences. Whatever you get, be sure to keep the receipt. In fact, a gift certificate to Compleat Strategist might be a better bet.

As for eurogame recommendations, here are some possibilities, with an eye towards their fit with your group:

Agricola: classic, if he doesn't have it already, then he should, and he should teach you it.

Concordia: outstanding game with interesting card play and not hard to teach/learn.

Five Tribes: pretty game, interesting game mechanics, fun to play.

Islebound: pirate/sailor themed euro that's a lot of fun. It's new and he might not have it yet.

Space Cadets: Away Missions : a campy scifi space themed coop dungeon crawler with a lot of dice chucking, but a surprising level of euro-like strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Keyflower
Five tribes
Splendor
Quadropolis
Tzolk'in the Mayan calender
Terra Mystica
Troyes
The Voyages of Marco polo

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Anthony Ferrise
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
(Instagram) @thebrewinggamer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:

I found my copy of Notre Dame used - so I thought I would throw it out there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've seen 4+ copies in Germany in the last month... Nothing wrong with used.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.