7 Posts

Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Handing off used once-per-round items. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
liam norris
msg tools
mb
I can't really find anything in the rules or online that explicitly forbids this but it does feel a little exploity. My girlfriend, two other friends, and I have been strategically handing off equipped items at the end of specific turns so as to use these items more than once per round. I'll use a simple example to illustrate: Let's say my GF and I are playing a two player game. I have a survivor at the colony as does she. My survivor has a Tikka T3 tactical rifle equipped. I'm the first player. on my turn I use the Tikka to kill a zombie and at the end of my turn perform a hand off to her survivor who then equips and uses it to kill a zombie. the next round she's the first player and she uses it again and at the end of her turn performs another handoff back to my survivor. Wash, rinse, and repeat. In this example it may not seem like much but consider what can be done with 4-5 coordinated players, each keeping one survivor at the colony, handing off a stack of multiple weapons, books, and other powerful items. Multiple survivors sharing a non-colony location and it's respective blueprints works this way as well (or so it would seem). The language of the cards ("Equip: Once per round, you may...") Doesn't seem to prevent this in my mind because it doesn't say that the item may only be used once per round it says "you" may only use it once per round. Handing off is legal provided it is an equipped item that immediately becomes equipped again. Is there something I'm overlooking? Has anyone else run into this? Is there an official ruling from PHG? Help me out guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
“Games give you a chance to excel, and if you're playing in good company you don't even mind if you lose because you had the enjoyment of the company during the course of the game.” ― Gary Gygax
mbmbmbmbmb
redhand68 wrote:
I can't really find anything in the rules or online that explicitly forbids this but it does feel a little exploity.

My girlfriend, two other friends, and I have been strategically handing off equipped items at the end of specific turns so as to use these items more than once per round. I'll use a simple example to illustrate:

Let's say my GF and I are playing a two player game. I have a survivor at the colony as does she. My survivor has a Tikka T3 tactical rifle equipped. I'm the first player. on my turn I use the Tikka to kill a zombie and at the end of my turn perform a hand off to her survivor who then equips and uses it to kill a zombie. the next round she's the first player and she uses it again and at the end of her turn performs another handoff back to my survivor. Wash, rinse, and repeat.

In this example it may not seem like much but consider what can be done with 4-5 coordinated players, each keeping one survivor at the colony, handing off a stack of multiple weapons, books, and other powerful items. Multiple survivors sharing a non-colony location and it's respective blueprints works this way as well (or so it would seem).

The language of the cards ("Equip: Once per round, you may...") Doesn't seem to prevent this in my mind because it doesn't say that the item may only be used once per round it says "you" may only use it once per round. Handing off is legal provided it is an equipped item that immediately becomes equipped again. Is there something I'm overlooking? Has anyone else run into this? Is there an official ruling from PHG? Help me out guys.

Once per round is once per round is once per round. See page 11 of the rules, the note following the rules describing the Hand Off action.

Quote:
Hand Off: During his turn a player may have a survivor
he controls that has an item equipped hand that item
off to another survivor at the same location. When an
item is handed off it is unequipped from the survivor
that is handing it off and is immediately equipped to the
survivor that it is being handed to.

Note: If the item has a once per round ability and it has already
been used that round it cannot be used again by handing it off to
another survivor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
liam norris
msg tools
mb
Ah! There it is. I'm not sure how I missed this when I was looking through the rule book. Thank you. We will stop cheating our asses off now.blushwhistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And I think that they just have that rule for abstract game balance purposes. It doesn't really make sense thematically to not be able to hand a gun to someone else for them to use, especially when Plaid Hat has told us that each game "round" equates to several days or a week of game time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Lamb

Washington
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's obviously for game-balance, but....

Just because you have a shotgun (for example) doesn't mean you go looking for trouble. You probably have a limited supply of shells that you don't want to waste, and you have other priorities than just killing zombies that aren't an immediate threat.

Alternatively, think of it as simply avoiding one exposure roll per week (for instance). The rest of time life during wartime is still dangerous.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd France
United States
flag msg tools
IF ONLY I had a plan...
badge
The lesser of two evils?
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
And I think that they just have that rule for abstract game balance purposes. It doesn't really make sense thematically to not be able to hand a gun to someone else for them to use, especially when Plaid Hat has told us that each game "round" equates to several days or a week of game time.

I agree with your statement except for the "just", which isn't technically incorrect, but it's a REALLY BIG "JUST"

It makes no less sense than only being able to kill 1 zombie per turn with a pistol, or not being able to use a pistol to aid an attack on a Survivor.

Without that rule, players would be passing the Shotgun around the colony each turn and getting 4 or 5 uses out of it per round, which would be very destabilizing to the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it all comes down to the theme. I believe all the survivors are supposed to be acting at the same time over the course of a week. When you kill a zombie at the colony, it's not just one zombie but a series of zombies that threaten the colony. You aren't using a single bullet from your weapon, but multiple over the course of that week.

That's my take anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.