$30.00
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got through the tutorial.... barely.

First side quest, absolutely murdered! Two major title sections left and I was already getting major perils.

Playing with 2 characters (knight and disciple). And I'm cheating! (not doing the RtL extra monster effects AND ignoring the peril effects).

Am I just really bad?

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris J Davis
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
designer
Overtext pending moderation...
mbmbmbmbmb
Are you limiting monsters to a single attack per activation?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yup! One attack.

Ohh look Barghest spawn. Ignore group limits. *sigh*....

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Westerville
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got massacred by the tutorial the first time I played. I quit the game it was becoming such a pain.

When I started again, I went straight into the game and did really well. I had some close calls and tough situations, but I was able to scrape through them all and really enjoyed the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah it's pretty tough I think too.

Are you getting your extra attack or healing two hearts for only using two heroes?

I realized I can't explore every room, and you just have to keep the momentum going or the peril effects just get worse and worse.

Good luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stick with it, Rudy. It does get a little easier if you can grab some good equipment. I think I found it easier with 4 heroes than with 2.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
Are you getting your extra attack or healing two hearts for only using two heroes?

Uhh.... No. LOL! I had never played with two heroes before. I didn't realize that rule existed! blush

I will try that! Thanks!

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TravelSized wrote:
Stick with it, Rudy. It does get a little easier if you can grab some good equipment. I think I found it easier with 4 heroes than with 2.

Hey Jason! That's how I first tried it (also got butt kicked). And the game felt like it lasts FOREVER. I was exhausted when I finally finished one! I thought maybe reducing the hero count would speed things up.

-rudy

PS: I know there is a save feature

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Walker
United States
Madison Heights
Virginia
flag msg tools
See the Legendary forums for monthly solo leagues!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, that's true because there's a lot more to do. But I felt like I could handle the enemies easier. The extra attack for 2 heroes helps a lot, but more heroes gives you more flexibility. You only get one knock-down per hero, right?

Eventually, you'll get knocked down enough that you'll make it back to the Legendary forums.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Craig Bocketti
United States
Clifton Park
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
thegreatrudini wrote:
mustardayonnaiz wrote:

Uhh.... No. LOL! I had never played with two heroes before. I didn't realize that rule existed! blush

I will try that! Thanks!

-rudy

For reference it's on page 5 of the rule book in a box labeled "two-hero game"

Also at first I picked rune master with blast and Beserker with whirlwind and was just destroying everything, but I realized there was a rule that nerfed heroes that attack multiple monsters and it became challenging again.

Bottom left of page 10 if you missed it, though your classes don't have multi-attacks IIRC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mustardayonnaiz wrote:
For reference it's on page 5 of the rule book in a box labeled "two-hero game"

That rule was also added to all versions of the game by the FAQ found here on page 1, in case anyone else was unaware.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob s
United States
Nashville
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played a campaign of Imperial Assault and had quite a few skirmish battles of that, so I thought I would pick up Descent and roll through the app. Wrong. I got continuously crunched in the tutorial. But I'm now in the Kindred Fire Campaign and have been slicing through the quests pretty easily, so who knows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eddie
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I came here to post just the same... I find the game a bit too hard, I bought D2E box for the app and, it's kinda tough to have fun with the unstoppable onslaught... the app is heartless. It doesn't give a crap that you kill enemies, it just tells you with no emotions at all: "add another X". "spawn y".

Wonder if I should jump ship over to Mansions of Madness 2nd ed? more story/fun rather than get stomped?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
isthar wrote:
Wonder if I should jump ship over to Mansions of Madness 2nd ed? more story/fun rather than get stomped?

I was thinking the same thing...

-rudy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
T France
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend and I have been slaying the tutorial campaign with Syndrael the Knight and Jain the Stalker. Not sure what we're doing right, but I think one of us only took 2 damage during last night's quest!...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Korner
United States
Tomah
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We (4 players) just started the tutorial campaign and beat the walkthrough mission and slayed a dragon in one of the side missions. We will be playing tonight but it doesn't seem that difficult yet but I guess we will find out soon enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moe45673
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I HIGHLY recommend reading the Road to Legend rulebook (downloadable PDF here ). It helped clarify a number of things that the in-game tutorial didn't quite help me grok.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Two-Hero Game
Per the updated rules of the core game, when playing with
two heroes, the heroes receive an additional advantage. Once
during each hero’s turn, that hero may perform one attack that
does not require an action.
This attack cannot be a special action that includes an
attack (such as the Berserker’s “Rage” or the Rune Master’s
“Exploding Rune” abilities). This attack can be performed
before or after either of the heroes’ other actions.
At the end of each hero’s turn, if that hero did not or could
not perform the free attack during his turn, he may instead
recover 2 �."

I definitely messed this up.

-rudy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jee Fu
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a franchise, Descent has always been one thing: hard.

Whether you played 1st Edition, 2nd Edition, or Co-op, the entire system of mechanics revolves around the idea that the players aren't there to Role-Play - they're there to win. If you're not on board with min/maxing every single thing you do, from picking the correct skills to never ever wasting movement points, it will be a constant uphill battle. Put another way, if you're not setting up your turns 2+ in advance, you're going to get outplayed (either by the AI or by an Overlord even half-awake).

I mean its totally awesome, but that's the game. It's billed as a Dungeon Crawl, but it's really a Tactical Minis Game. You can tell one from the other by how much you're punished for not making the Right Move every single turn.

- Jee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mr G
United Kingdom
Hatfield Heath
Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just played the first tutorial mission for the first time.

Grisban Bezerker
Jain Wildlander
Leoric Necromancer

Man it was tough with no healing!

Came down to final room with all the monsters after Jain. Other two knocked out.

Jain goes first. Two arrow shots. JUST kills the main guy with her last shot.

Tough but great stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Apocalypse Dude wrote:
We (4 players) just started the tutorial campaign and beat the walkthrough mission and slayed a dragon in one of the side missions. We will be playing tonight but it doesn't seem that difficult yet but I guess we will find out soon enough.

I found the Dragon shockingly difficult. Activating twice each round, 29 health, 2 defence dice, only being able to actually hit it in melee by spending a surge, the flame breath hitting multiple heroes.... shockingly difficult. I only had 2 heroes but their extra free attack helps a lot.

And all that time, flesh moulders were spawning and attcking too..

I really found it hard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vasilis
Greece
Heraklion Crete
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm starting to see a pattern here. We play with 4 heroes and the game is ridiculously easy. We are playing on Hard difficulty too.

Almost everyone that wrote here about the game being hard, played with 2 heroes.

So I'm starting to think that the quests are not scaling well and the game's difficulty wildly swings from easy to hard, based on the number of heroes playing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy Castaneda
United States
Miami
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Naaa, I played with 4 and got my butt kicked! A lot.

-rudy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Proto Persona
United States
N Richland Hills
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bowmangr wrote:
I'm starting to see a pattern here. We play with 4 heroes and the game is ridiculously easy. We are playing on Hard difficulty too.

Almost everyone that wrote here about the game being hard, played with 2 heroes.

So I'm starting to think that the quests are not scaling well and the game's difficulty wildly swings from easy to hard, based on the number of heroes playing the game.
It's a lot more complicated than that. You've got the number of heroes, the class and hero combinations, group composition, and the experience of the players themselves. All those variables make it really hard to nail down where any balance issues might be. It's even harder when you add in all the variables from an OL player in the normal game.

There's good reasons why all balance discussions about this game get derailed into anecdotal arguments about how people must be doing something wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Wildstar
msg tools
I want to enjoy Road to Legend primarily for the theme and story on a tabletop in a reasonable time commitment. Wether playing solo or with others, I've found it really drags when played as intended to the point of it becoming unfun.

My solution is one or both of the following house rules . . .

1. Simply don't respawn monsters. Once the last of a monster group is killed that's it.

2. Reduce monster groups by 1.

If really pressed for time and/or lacking patience, combine both suggestions.

Again, this is from the persepective of wanting a fun story experience on the table without hating the game for taking too long. Because to me, by the book this game (either the original or with the app) can take waaaaay too long for what it is.

One thing others on BGG have taught me is once you get a game, it's your game. House rule as you will if it helps you better enjoy the gaming experience.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.