Subject: I like Nexus Ops, I don't like Kemet, will I like Cry Havoc ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Masoud Tabatabaei
Luxembourg
Luxembourg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am very interested in this game, but my concern is that everyone says it is as good, or even better that Kemet. The point is I don't like Kemet. My problem with Kemet is that although it is all about battles, the battles happens almost without preparation. Every turn, everyone can attack everyone, everywhere (well not exactly, but very close to it, especially after people get some of improvement tiles). So you don't see any preparation before attacks to try to adapt yourself based on that.In Nexus Ops, Although everything is battle, the logistics of the board and the movements of the opponents shows you that they are preparing to attack. Besides, in Nexus Ops there are hidden objectives that hides what are real intention of the players. Now, based on these observations, do you think Cry Havoc is too close to Kemet for me, or is it a completely different animal?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Martineau
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
True Player for Real
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
You only get 12 or 15 (depending on if the humans score first turn) actions in a game, so I would say there isn't a great deal of preparing for an enemy attack.

Most of your actions will be spent prepping and executing your own attacks.

(I have only played five times and never with the current understanding of the still incomplete rules.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Mastrangeli
United States
Downers Grove
IL
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
The attacks aren't as sudden as in Kemet. In kemet, pretty much every area is adjacent to every other area. So battles can happen everyone. The board in Cry Havoc (especially in the 3-4p game), has a lot more areas. So usually you'll see a force massing on one of your borders before an attack happens. Also, regions with more crystals are more valuable (crystals score you VPs). So if you an enemy force bordering 2 of your regions, and one has 1 crystal and the other has 6, chances are the enemy is going for the 6 region.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Boatman
United States
New Iberia
Louisiana
flag msg tools
mb
I think you guys are forgetting that you also have Trogs to fight most turns early game. I think it is safe to say you do a good deal of fighting, with not enough battle cards to use then at will in all fights. I like that, and I like having to decide when to use what, but if you don't like all the attacking in Kemet you may not like this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
masoudtab wrote:
I am very interested in this game, but my concern is that everyone says it is as good, or even better that Kemet. The point is I don't like Kemet. My problem with Kemet is that although it is all about battles, the battles happens almost without preparation. Every turn, everyone can attack everyone, everywhere (well not exactly, but very close to it, especially after people get some of improvement tiles). So you don't see any preparation before attacks to try to adapt yourself based on that.In Nexus Ops, Although everything is battle, the logistics of the board and the movements of the opponents shows you that they are preparing to attack. Besides, in Nexus Ops there are hidden objectives that hides what are real intention of the players. Now, based on these observations, do you think Cry Havoc is too close to Kemet for me, or is it a completely different animal?

Hi -- one of the designers, so I'm biased. Something I personally didn't love about Kemet (which I discovered about 2 years into making Cry Havoc), was how a single attack can spell doom for you. I didn't like that there could be a single throat shot that ended the game. I also, personally, struggled with the big tech tree. Those were two things I didn't personally like as much. To be clear, it's a brilliant game. Personal preferences, basically.

With Cry, sorta like Nexus Ops, you're fighting all the time. You'll win some portions, lose others, but a single one usually won't knock you out of the game (though end game there can be some very crucial fights). You don't have objectives, but Events and players can change targets by adding crystals and such, and everyone is a threat, so there isn't as much ganging up issues.

Hope that helps.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Russ Hewson
United Kingdom
Surbiton
Surrey
flag msg tools
I bought this...
badge
...as I had no idea what to spend my GG on!
mbmbmbmbmb
The thing I didn't like about Kemet was that in every game I played of it (only 3 or 4 to be fair) someone who was in 3rd or lower position got to decide in the last turn whom out of the two leaders won. Does this kind of thing happen in Cry Havoc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Uhtoff wrote:
The thing I didn't like about Kemet was that in every game I played of it (only 3 or 4 to be fair) someone who was in 3rd or lower position got to decide in the last turn whom out of the two leaders won. Does this kind of thing happen in Cry Havoc?

Generally in Cry Havoc, you'll have access to all other players. You should be fighting basically every round. Every faction has a special sauce, and generally, you don't want to let them get into their groove.

So, it's less "I'm going to decide the winner" and more "I need to hinder the Machines here so that they don't skate past me!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.