Hide
11 Posts

Exceed: Red Horizon – Reese & Heidi vs. Vincent & Nehtali» Forums » Rules

Subject: (Un)Official FAQ rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mason Sokol
msg tools
Currently my plan for this is to bold anything that hasn't been answered or that does not have an official answer, I will rename this thread to Official FAQ if Brad is ok with that.

Does Juno/Baelkhor etc trigger if Block is played?

Can Juno's Star Struck name some absurdly high number just to see the opponent's hand?

Baelkhor's attack that gets stronger for the card's he has sealed, does that work for both yours and your opponents 's card(through his boosts and character power) and does it count cards that have been sealed by other means?

Does Morathi get to take gross advantage of invalid attacks by seeing what the opponent played while making his wild swing decision?

Do you choose the order cards go to the discard from gauge or from other means?

Do things other than drawing cards trigger reshuffle, such as Juno's drop the mic boost or wild swinging? If you wild swing with exceeded Morathi and only have two cards do you reshuffle in order to get to look at the total 3? Do you lose if you cant look at 3 if you have already reshuffled? Assumed yes to all but not confirmed

When a reshuffle is triggered what gets reshuffled in(cards used to play force? Card played?) Example: Would ballot fixing/national scar get shuffled in if it triggered a reshuffle? what about the cards used to pay for it?

Who moves if range is being checked from Miska's Bear and something like dive is played?

Can you choose to make an ultra you played invalid normally(for morathi or other such tricks?)

Is there a difference between gaining and regaining life and can you go above 30 life? You cannot go above 30 life at any point

Are discard piles open information? They are, but order of discard must be maintained

When is your hand size checked(end of turn after drawing? Immediately? End of every turn including opponents?)End of your own turn only

Is paying gauge optional if you wild swing into an ultra? If you wild swing into an ultra you may choose whether or not to pay gauge

Would a comprehensive FAQ be desired? If so I could take the answers from my questions and others in this forum and attempt to maintain one. : I will work on this then, feel free to post any questions either answered or un answered in this thread and I'll add them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ron
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Tons of rules questions
To answer some of the ones I know/am more sure about:

poggydude wrote:
Are discard piles open information?

Under 'Play Areas' in the rulebook:

rulebook wrote:
Discard... Players may look through any discard pile at any time, but may not rearrange the order of cards in the discard pile.

poggydude wrote:
Is there a difference betweeing gaining and regaining life and can you go above 20 life?

I guess you mean 30 life. From the rulebook:

rulebook wrote:
2. Area Setup. Give each player 30 life and decide who will go first. They can never have more than 30.

poggydude wrote:
Do you choose the order cards go to the discard from gauge or from other means?

Yes. Check the rulebook under 'Gauge'.

poggydude wrote:
Do things other than drawing cards trigger reshuffle, such as Juno's drop the mic boost or wild swinging? If you wild swing with exceeded Morathi and only have two cards do you reshuffle in order to get to look at the total 3? Do you lose if you cant look at 3 if you have already reshuffled?

I don't see why not. The rulebook says:

rulebook wrote:
Out of Cards. The first time you need to draw and cannot, reshuffle your discard pile to form a new deck.

Draw is pretty universal language, and I would be very surprised if it didn't trigger universally. Not sure though.

poggydude wrote:
When a reshuffle is triggered what gets reshuffled in(cards used to play force? Card played? etc.)

Everything currently in your discard pile for whatever reason. So this includes previously played Strikes which missed, cards used for force, cards from Gauge used to pay costs, invalid Strikes which missed, etc.

poggydude wrote:
When is your hand size checked(end of turn after drawing? Immediately? End of every turn including opponents?)

End of your own turn. Check the rulebook under Setup -> Starting Draw.

poggydude wrote:
Would a comprehensive FAQ be desired? If so I could take the answers from my questions and others in this forum and attempt to maintain one.

Yes!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
poggydude wrote:
Is paying gauge optional, the last thread was unclear and two versions of the rules seem to exist?

Do you mean, when you Wild Swing into an ultra? I can't think of another time you might 'accidentally' spend Gauge.

This question came up the last time I played, but I can't remember how we decided it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Talton
United States
New Mexico
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
(╯‵Д′)╯彡┻━┻
mbmbmbmbmb
If you Wild Swing into an Ultra, you are not forced to spend the Gauge (you can choose to make that attack invalid and swing again), but you may choose to do so if you have the resources to activate the Ultra.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mason Sokol
msg tools
I made some edits and have renamed the thread, anything in bold is still awaiting an answer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Kyokai wrote:
If you Wild Swing into an Ultra, you are not forced to spend the Gauge (you can choose to make that attack invalid and swing again), but you may choose to do so if you have the resources to activate the Ultra.

That's errata, right? That seems to directly contradict the text of the rules.

Also, if both players Wild Swing into an Ultra, is the Attacker obligated to decide first whether to Ultra-cancel?

Edit: Also, would the Defender be able to see the result of the Attacker's Ultra-cancel follow-up before deciding whether to Ultra-cancel?

Edit 2: ALSO also, is Morathi considered to have used a Wild Swing in this context? I.e. if he intentionally Wild Swings into an Ultra that he can pay for, is he still allowed to Ultra-cancel out of it?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
pvtparts wrote:
poggydude wrote:
When is your hand size checked(end of turn after drawing? Immediately? End of every turn including opponents?)

End of your own turn. Check the rulebook under Setup -> Starting Draw.

Oh no! I wrote a rebuttal for this, and then realized that I was basing my answer on the old PnP rules, which state "If you ever have more than [7], discard down to your maximum immediately after effects resolve."

Mind you, the "official" rules (http://www.level99games.com/downloads/rulebooks-errata.html) don't seem to even mention a hand-limit, so I guess it's legal to draw your entire deck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devet wrote:
Mind you, the "official" rules (http://www.level99games.com/downloads/rulebooks-errata.html) don't seem to even mention a hand-limit, so I guess it's legal to draw your entire deck.

That's really interesting. In the rules that were printed and come with the game, "Setup", point 4: "Your maximum hand size is 7. If you ever have more than this, discard down to your maximum after you draw at the end of your turn."

I wonder whether they just forgot to include it in the errata'ed rules. Obviously, it was a bit strangely placed in the "setup" section and should probably have been put into the Gameplay section (unless it was indeed dropped from the rules altogether).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
Quote:
...(unless it was indeed dropped from the rules altogether).

Well, we can be pretty sure that wasn't the intention! Otherwise, Miska would immediately jump to God-tier (Bear Rush: "+1 power for each card in the opponent's hand") and games involving Satoshi would devolve into a bizarre round of "Prepare chicken" where the players keep drawing until one player realizes they're literally one turn away from putting the entire deck in-hand and losing to deck-exhaustion - which is more interesting but less fun than preparing actual chicken.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Hiob
Germany
Bonn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Devet wrote:
Quote:
...(unless it was indeed dropped from the rules altogether).

Well, we can be pretty sure that wasn't the intention! Otherwise, Miska would immediately jump to God-tier (Bear Rush: "+1 power for each card in the opponent's hand") and games involving Satoshi would devolve into a bizarre round of "Prepare chicken" where the players keep drawing until one player realizes they're literally one turn away from putting the entire deck in-hand and losing to deck-exhaustion - which is more interesting but less fun than preparing actual chicken.

Also, I just took another look at those errata'ed rules. They have talk of a "Wake-Up"-card, it's even included in the components list. Also, the 4th "Boost" example is missing. Instead, there's a bit of unfilled space above the "Boost" section. I wonder whether the printed rulesheet is actually more current than the "errata'ed" version online.

Edit: I consider this more or less settled. The "errata'ed" rulesheet has Wakeup even on the cards that are pictured on the front. So unless they're planning to rename Advantage, this is just an old version of the rules. So, with the current (=printed) rules, there is a hand limit of 7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Armstrong
msg tools
DomHiob wrote:
They have talk of a "Wake-Up"-card, it's even included in the components list.

Oh, wow. Yeah, the Wake-Up card was only in the very first release of the Kickstarter PnP kit. So I guess those rules are the oldest, followed by the current PnP rules, and the most recent version are the physical printout.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.