Subject: Cursed Land nullified by Grassland -> game flies off the rails!? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Masta De Gumbo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
We had a player that couter-balanced all his cursed land cards with Fertile soil cards. [correction: I meant to say Grasslands] Needless to say, at a certain point he basically didn't have to worry about busting and could just draw cards infinitely, end the game by running down the VP token bank. How did that happen? How could we stop him? Were we playing wrong or were we just being noobs who didn't block him earlier?

-g

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: Cursed Land nullified by fertile soil -> game flies off the rails!?
gumbomasta wrote:
We had a player that couter-balanced all his cursed land cards with Fertile soil cards. Needless to say, at a certain point he basically didn't have to worry about busting and could just draw cards infinitely, end the game by running down the VP token bank. How did that happen? How could we stop him? Were we playing wrong or were we just being noobs who didn't block him earlier?

-g

Fertile Soil can only give him more mana, not cancel out Cursed Land...

You know you can't put an enhancement if it would be in the same slot as another? So if the Cursed Land is on the top, you can't put a new enhancement that takes the top slot?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian M
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That fertile soil...I do not think it does what you think it does.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Thornsen
United States
Nottingham
Maryland
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I think he means Grasslands or other cards with Growth symbols which cancel decay.

Yes, I've done this as well. It basically lets you play your entire deck every turn. Usually this means you will buy 2 Vale cards and also whatever upgrade(s) you want from the middle.

The game should end after you can do this 1 or 2 times.

Don't let one player buy all the growth symbols?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kenny Johnson
United States
Torrance
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played about a dozen times and I've seen this happen once. One way to counter it is to try to end the game faster (get the blue VP tokens in your deck and cycle your deck faster). The other, as someone mentioned is to make sure other players are buying those cards. . .

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Masta De Gumbo
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
Yep - Grasslands is what I meant!

thanks for the advice on this.

-g

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Beiter
United States
Tonawanda
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This should be a rare occurance. If a player is allowed to continuously purchase growth symbols unchecked, then they will have a deck that is very hard to beat.

As a general rule, if a growth symbol shows up, players should try to get it into their decks ASAP. If nothing else, to keep someone who allready has one or more from gaining more of them.
Now this of course all comes down to the luck of the draw and the cards that flop into the purchase rows.

There are many variables at play here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With the -1 mana, isn't Grassland and Cursed Land together basically the equivalent of two blank cards (one if on the same card)?

Just build an actual deck while they're durdling about. Harvest up some VPs and empty that pool. Build a Vale card buying engine. Whatever. By the time they get enough Grasslands to turn off their Cursed Lands, you've already won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
With the -1 mana, isn't Grassland and Cursed Land together basically the equivalent of two blank cards (one if on the same card)?

Yep. The only difference between this and a blank is that you had to pay to build it and it only has one slot available.

The posted strategy doesn't even make sense. Each player has nine cursed lands in their deck but there's only three Grasslands in the game. And if you are playing by the rules, no more than 18 level one enhancements (out of 33) are ever available, so it's more likely only 1-2 grasslands will be available in the course of play.

I will assume then that the OP does not mean Grasslands but rather life symbols. Without getting into level three enhancements and vale cards (which are hard to get your first few rounds) your only source of life symbols are the level 1 grasslands and the level 2 Bear Totem and Grovetender. Three of each maximum. Getting enough to mitigate all your decay would be a rare trick. Especially since only six of these 63 cards are available for purchase at any time (and as I mentioned before, at least 15 of them, chosen randomly from the level one enhancements, are completely unavailable).

Of course, it is theoretically possible to build a supercard with all three Grovetenders, and this mighty card would supply nine life symbols--enough to mitigate all the decay you start with. But I would surely like to shake the hand of the player who accomplishes this miracle, and question the sanity of the opponent(s) who let him/her do it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IIRC grovetender doesn't come with his own guardian symbol so three of him wouldn't actually do anything.

Also it's important to realize that you don't need to neutralize all of your decay symbols. If you can gaurantee you're neutralizing 6 of them, you can freely draw your deck. Assuming you haven't bought any extra decay symbols.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did cancel out a lot of Decay in my deck but it was not a huge producer. The thing that did it for me was getting a Vale that allowed me to spend mana for Wild really early and getting another Wild and a bunch of Vale buying symbols in the deck so that I could buy a Vale card pretty much every turn, and many level 2 ones.

It was a slow deck and a dedicated Harvest strategy would likely have been competitive against me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clinton Rice
United States
Chino
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Flame112 wrote:
IIRC grovetender doesn't come with his own guardian symbol so three of him wouldn't actually do anything.

Oops, you're right. Three Grovetenders would indeed be worthless unless you have the Council of Ents (which would make it worth three life) and the complexity of achieving that isn't worth the reward.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
I did cancel out a lot of Decay in my deck but it was not a huge producer. The thing that did it for me was getting a Vale that allowed me to spend mana for Wild really early and getting another Wild and a bunch of Vale buying symbols in the deck so that I could buy a Vale card pretty much every turn, and many level 2 ones.

It was a slow deck and a dedicated Harvest strategy would likely have been competitive against me.

I did that too during my last game, but the deck produced 5-10 mana per turn, and, most importantly, enough to buy 2 lvl 2 Vales on a consistent basis. Was enough to win and fun to play. The Vale which gives you a helmet per turn and the Vale which gives you a life symbol per tyrn are pretty good when purchased early

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Graham Gass
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
sthrjo wrote:
If you are lucky, you can buy all 3 Grasslands early on, and sometimes noone can do anything about that, if they appear in The Commons just before your turn. Without any Grasslands, from start you will have 3 turns per deck with 4 Mana per turn. With 3 Grasslands, you will have 2 turns per deck, and 4.5 Mana per turn. The huge benefit does not come from the tiny increase in Mana / turn, it comes from the increased speed for any future goodies in your deck to turn up, it goes up from 33% chance to 50% chance that it will turn up in your Prep turn. The cost for this is 3 out of 48 card slots are taken, and 3 opportunities for buying advancements are consumed, a tiny cost. So yes, 3 Grasslands followed by a really good card is powerful. You would have to be lucky to get more than one if your opponents know the game, however.

You're comparing a deck you've spent 12 mana on to a starter deck though. I would certainly hope it would be better than a starter deck. I think it would be more useful to compare a deck with 3 grasslands to a deck with, say, 6 purchased fertile land cards. Buying 2 fertile lands instead of a grassland seems like a reasonable trade-off, but I haven't done the math.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.