Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » General

Subject: What's your take on the KD:M reprint? dreaming is free... rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the KD:M Kickstarter reprint has been confirmed, I was wondering about the key aspects of the re-release that you expect. My case:

- I own KD:M and all the expansions.
- I live in Madrid, Spain
- I missed the original KS, so I got all KD:M stuff at retail price.

My expectations:

As a former KD:M owner, I really expect that there is something out for us in the KS too! expamples:

- A more polished version of the weaker aspects of the game (I am talking about physical things like the fragility of certain items such as the manual, the gear mats or the hunting/settlement board).
- 1.4 upgrade kits for previous KD:M owners
- Some minor extras which I am still missing, such as more character sheets and official settlement sheets for the Sunstalker and DK campaign.
- Possibility to acquire other KD:M minis with in-game content released recently.
- Possibility to get extra in-game survivor minis without having to purchase the whole game again (I would love to customise more survivors to complete new gear combos)
- EU and other countries friendly shipping, ofc.

Another sensible issue: What's your take on the expected price? Do you think it will be closer to the original KS, or to the retail price?

Please share your wishes / dreams / expectations on this matter while we wait patiently for this reprint to happen...

Edit: I had assumed that the reprint will be made via KS campaign, but I have just realised that this has not been confirmed yet, or has it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonahdel
Canada
Burnaby
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No way in hell that Adam would sell it for the original KS's price.

Most optimistic is he'll just ask for the manufacturing cost + little profit.

Realistically, 10% discount. No exclusives.

What I want to see?

Upgraded hunt board, and maybe hunt system.
Hardbound updated rulebook.
Original owner upgrade package.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greysbull
United States
Greeley
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Original owner upgrade package. (2)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
marcusnc wrote:

This. To be honest I really don't want there to be too many differences between this reprint of KD:M and its current incarnation. I am pretty happy with the game as is. Don't go changing things radically or changing the hunt phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C M
msg tools
mbmb
Epidemius wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

This. To be honest I really don't want there to be too many differences between this reprint of KD:M and its current incarnation. I am pretty happy with the game as is. Don't go changing things radically or changing the hunt phase.

From what I gathered Adam's hunt phase improvement plans were mainly focused one some changes to the random event table.

Shu1984 wrote:
Now that the KD:M Kickstarter reprint has been confirmed, I was wondering about the key aspects of the re-release that you expect. My case:

My expectations:

As a former KD:M owner, I really expect that there is something out for us in the KS too! expamples:

- A more polished version of the weaker aspects of the game (I am talking about physical things like the fragility of certain items such as the manual, the gear mats or the hunting/settlement board).
- Some minor extras which I am still missing, such as more character sheets and official settlement sheets for the Sunstalker and DK campaign.
- Possibility to acquire other KD:M minis with in-game content released recently.
- Possibility to get extra in-game survivor minis without having to purchase the whole game again (I would love to customise more survivors to complete new gear combos)

Another sensible issue: What's your take on the expected price? Do you think it will be closer to the original KS, or to the retail price?

Please share your wishes / dreams / expectations on this matter while we wait patiently for this reprint to happen...

I think he mentioned a hard cover rule book one of the recent interviews

1.4 upgrade kits were already promised. They might just be on the website, but logistically adding them to the kickstarter makes more sense I think since it gives him numbers before printing things.

The survivor minis are already available rotating slowly through the store.

There is absolutely no way he'll offer pricing from the original kickstarter. The absolute lowest I could see the core going is $250 and I very much doubt even that would happen.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interested in hearing about the hardcover and the hunt improvements.

And yeah, $250 before shipping is a pretty safe bet for the lowest we'd see.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff M
United States
Lafayette
California
flag msg tools
mb
Hoping to see a quick delivery time!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henry Akeley
United States
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't need another copy of the core game. I just want the upgrade components/rulebook. And hopefully components to bring the 1.3 rulebook up to speed so its not just a deadweight after the reprint....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Silberman
United States
Portola Valley
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My dream, though I know it is only that, would be simpler miniatures. I appreciate this is primarily a hobby game and that a good portion of the fan base is focused on building,customizing and painting the minis but I would love an option for something simpler. I dare say, I would love to play with pre-assembled or easily assembled miniatures (unless of course I win the lottery in which case I will be interviewing artists to take on a commission). I had hoped to get one of the red dot boxes at GenCon and proxy in miniatures from other games.

Oh well, I can dream.

Cheers,

Greg
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gpsilberman wrote:
My dream, though I know it is only that, would be simpler miniatures. I appreciate this is primarily a hobby game and that a good portion of the fan base is focused on building,customizing and painting the minis but I would love an option for something simpler. I dare say, I would love to play with pre-assembled or easily assembled miniatures (unless of course I win the lottery in which case I will be interviewing artists to take on a commission). I had hoped to get one of the red dot boxes at GenCon and proxy in miniatures from other games.

Oh well, I can dream.

Cheers,

Greg

That was also a concern of mine when I bought the game, but I can tell you that it is neither that hard nor time-consuming to assemble them (you actually need a bunch of themn to get going)and besides it's a pleasure to do it! If I could assemble these minis, everyone can, I assure you XD

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
As a perfectionist and an experienced painter, I beg to differ re: easy assembly- the lack of instructions or a coherent labeling scheme on stuff like the phoenix hands is both time consuming and certainly nothing resembling pleasurable. Same goes for figuring out that you need to dry-fit arms since they're not all labeled correctly (a1 and a2 or w/e don't necessarily go together) and it's definitely not intuitive which arms or legs are male or female on all the models.

I'd still prefer HIPS, though, because it's such a better medium, but would take PVC if it saw a big dip in price since the material's so much cheaper.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
As a perfectionist and an experienced painter, I beg to differ re: easy assembly- the lack of instructions or a coherent labeling scheme on stuff like the phoenix hands is both time consuming and certainly nothing resembling pleasurable. Same goes for figuring out that you need to dry-fit arms since they're not all labeled correctly (a1 and a2 or w/e don't necessarily go together) and it's definitely not intuitive which arms or legs are male or female on all the models.

I'd still prefer HIPS, though, because it's such a better medium, but would take PVC if it saw a big dip in price since the material's so much cheaper.

Fair enough. You clearly beat me experience wise, but I have enjoyed assembling the minis with the guidelines from vibrantlantern.com. No big deal for me (the Phoenix hands maybe a bit XD).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cormor321 wrote:
Epidemius wrote:
marcusnc wrote:

From what I gathered Adam's hunt phase improvement plans were mainly focused one some changes to the random event table.

Shu1984 wrote:

My expectations:

I think he mentioned a hard cover rule book one of the recent interviews

1.4 upgrade kits were already promised. They might just be on the website, but logistically adding them to the kickstarter makes more sense I think since it gives him numbers before printing things.

The survivor minis are already available rotating slowly through the store.

There is absolutely no way he'll offer pricing from the original kickstarter. The absolute lowest I could see the core going is $250 and I very much doubt even that would happen.

And that mention to the special childs nerf?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Curry
msg tools
mb
As someone who doesn't own the game, my dream list (which won't happen) is as follows:

1. Kickstarter opens tomorrow
2. He's already been manufacturing them and they'll somehow magically be ready to ship out before the end of the year.
3. There's a special bundle that includes the core set and a bunch of expansions at a big discount.

But realistically, I just want to know more about it by the end of September, the Kickstarter to start by Black Friday, the order shipped before GenCon 2017, and a few of the expansions available for purchase at the same time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Randolph
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:

Honestly, without Vibrant Lantern it would've been rough assembling these. Currently have about 16 armor minis completed and I'm holding off on the expansion stuff. The Phoenix hands...I would've committed heresy and just starting gluing those suckers on whichever way if it wasn't for the internet.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hugh Jorgan
msg tools
I'm pretty happy with the entire game, even the random factor. The hunt phase is decent, but could definitely be upgraded to be less linear.

I'd just like to see some sanding and polishing of the rough edges:

1.) Reprint of the Basic and Special Hunt event cards. Many of the BHE
cards have different colour tints, where they're supposed to be
indistinguishable from the back.

2.) Rule clarifications

3.) More dividers, particularly for cards in-play and cards not in-play.
As someone who owns all the expansions. When I play the Stars campaign
I have to separate all terrain, FAs, SFAs, Innovations, Disorders etc.
since the Stars campaign doesn't use any cards from the expansions.
This is true for the standard campaign with select expansions too,
constantly removing or ignoring cards from expansions not included in
my campaign are annoying.
So, an "Innovation in-play" divider would be great.

4.) A mini trackboard to keep track of survival actions. As a solo player,
it's been tricky to keep track of who used which survival action in
which turn (monster or survivor) and who got knocked down and when.
Especially since survivors are restricted to using each survival action
once per round. I got some cool Litco tokens for the survival actions
but a nice trackboard, perhaps affixed to an upgraded monster tracker
would be welcome.

5.) A solid and official KD app. I've long since switched to digital
survival and settlement sheets. The one on the app store is great, but
could use some improvements and will probably be outdated by the time
the new expansions arrive.

6.) Hardback version of the rulebook, with all expansions included.

7.) Dragon armour kit assembly guide!

8.) More basic hunt events!

9.) An improvement on the hunt phase, it's too linear, perhaps different
paths. I'd also love to see ambushes by different quarries, similar
to the Lonely Tree expansion; it shouldn't be a given that you'll
encounter the prey you're stalking on a hunt.

10.) A wooden box!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I forgot one!

Correct all the times that "less" is used interchangeably with "fewer"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zen Man
United States
Long Beach
California
flag msg tools
mbmb
spiralingcadaver wrote:
Very interested in hearing about the hardcover and the hunt improvements.

And yeah, $250 before shipping is a pretty safe bet for the lowest we'd see.

Nah. The min it'll be on Kickstarter is $300 if not $350. My guess is $300. Friendly wager.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg
Canada
Winnipeg
Manitoba
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in the minority here that believes the game could use a ton of improvements. When the reprint was announced, I immediately sold my copy on ebay, assuming the reprint would have some worthwhile changes.

I really hope Poots goes crazy with lots of changes in the 1.4 edition. I agree with whoever it was who said "games like this really need three versions before they get really good."

Changes I'd personally like to see:

- hardcover rulebook
- more Settlement Events (so the goofy ones like Murder show up less often)
- better references/summaries for rules (possibly divide the rulebook into two books so that one book is just rules and the other is frequently-used tables and story events).
- better, more meaningful tokens (never did understand what those "screaming face" tokens were for).
- better Settlement Board and Gear Grids

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
I always took it as a given that the screaming face tokens were for infectious lunacy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, me, too. We also use them as shorthand for frenzy buffs since sometimes those start to add up.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Welnicki
Poland
Gdansk
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Glic2003 wrote:
I'm in the minority here that believes the game could use a ton of improvements. When the reprint was announced, I immediately sold my copy on ebay, assuming the reprint would have some worthwhile changes.

I really hope Poots goes crazy with lots of changes in the 1.4 edition. I agree with whoever it was who said "games like this really need three versions before they get really good."

Changes I'd personally like to see:

- hardcover rulebook
- more Settlement Events (so the goofy ones like Murder show up less often)
- better references/summaries for rules (possibly divide the rulebook into two books so that one book is just rules and the other is frequently-used tables and story events).
- better, more meaningful tokens (never did understand what those "screaming face" tokens were for).
- better Settlement Board and Gear Grids

That's not really that much, is it? Hardcover rulebook + tidying up the references is a given.
I was always under the impression that the flimsy nature of the Settlement/Hunt board and the Gear Grids was do to the fact that they were a last minute add-on (on the cheap) - that the original game didn't use those boards at all (IMO those elements are not needed for a full game experience).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ArtSchool
Spain
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
clue: I use the screaming face tokens when I fight The Butcher.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Wirtz
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
re: martin, yeah, we don't always use them- fist and tooth is about the only reference that I think is very necessary beyond a page in the book to flip to.

I guess, taking a little more time, what I'd most look forward to that's practically achievable:
-better editing (they've had a long time to get another pass on anything they rushed... also, some consistent errors)
-some improved hunt phase interaction
-balancing a few of the really unbalanced things (life principle as the most obvious)
-sane 5-6p variant

...and at some point, actual digitally supported content for stuff like settlement variants and instructions.

And yeah, it's basically pretty minor stuff. I've said it before, I think this is one of the best first editions I've ever seen.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Waxman

Falcon Heights
Minnesota
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As someone who paid $80 apiece to hardcover bind my rule book and all the expansions, I can tell you that this should be offered. Premium game with long term heavy use NEEDS premium long lasting components!

(Trained mini guard Phoenix should be a stretch goal . )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.