Dave Kidd
United Kingdom
Oxford
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
.... And not just for Calth but for pretty much everything (sadly no mention of Dreadfleet though)...
http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/white-dwarf-teaser-new-...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
Rancemeister wrote:
.... And not just for Calth but for pretty much everything (sadly no mention of Dreadfleet though)...
http://natfka.blogspot.co.uk/2016/08/white-dwarf-teaser-new-...

There will never be any mention of Dreadfleet. GW will want to forget that one ever happened

These are exciting times for GW boardgamers though. The content for this issue, along with the free cover gift which is rumoured to be a chaos champion for Gorechosen/Sigmar/Silver Tower, makes it an instant purchase; and if the first few issues of the new format are really good I may even subscribe. Never thought that would happen again.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Moody
United States
Edmond
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Do you know if the figure will come with a magazine subscription, or just those sold in the GW stores? Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Kevin Moody wrote:
Do you know if the figure will come with a magazine subscription, or just those sold in the GW stores? Thanks.

All White Dwarf free gifts have always been available with every issue regardless of whether you got the issue by sub, at a GW store, or from a news agents. I can't imagine it will be any different now.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Hook
United States
Lenexa
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When is it available for purchase?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Feery
United States
Oakley
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
JonHook wrote:
When is it available for purchase?

The Games Workshop web store says Friday, September 2nd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Montgomery
United States
Joliet
Illinois
flag msg tools
Dear Geek: Please insert the wittiest comment you can think of in this text pop-up. Then times it by seven.
badge
The Coat of Arms of Clan Montgomery - Scotland. Yes, that's a woman with the head of a savage in her hand, and an anchor. No clue what it means, but it's cool.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm just being a completist about the Horus Heresy: Betrayal at Calth game. I think it's basically the "Space Hulk" of the current generation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Patton
United States
Myrtle Creek
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a gaming desert but I'm seriously considering subscribing to WD again because of this first new issue preview.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cutthroat Cardboard (Barry)
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Bought my first copy of White Dwarf today for more years that I'd care to count (Not got enough fingers )

The section on Calth looks pretty good. Aside from the new unit for each side the simple force choices for each scenario look like they have added a significant amount of replayability without going overboard on choices. Hopefully we may even see some new scenarios in a future edition....

It would also be nice to think that material in support of their board games might become s regular feature?

Whilst the mag is still very much a promotion vehicle for GW I feel like I'll get my money's worth between the pretty pictures, the board games content, and the free mini. Probably not enough to make me by it regularly but I would now consider issues with a board game bias.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Skipp wrote:
Bought my first copy of White Dwarf today for more years that I'd care to count (Not got enough fingers )

The section on Calth looks pretty good. Aside from the new unit for each side the simple force choices for each scenario look like they have added a significant amount of replayability without going overboard on choices. Hopefully we may even see some new scenarios in a future edition....

It would also be nice to think that material in support of their board games might become s regular feature?

Whilst the mag is still very much a promotion vehicle for GW I feel like I'll get my money's worth between the pretty pictures, the board games content, and the free mini. Probably not enough to make me by it regularly but I would now consider issues with a board game bias.

This is a really good issue, and gives me a lot of hope. The nature of the beast means it is always going to be a promotional vehicle. As an in-house magazine, every nicely painted model, or any article about a certain character, or even the battle reports, are working as advertising. At least the actual blatant adverts were kept to a minimum.

The rumour mill says that boxed game content is going to be more frequent in the magazines, but I wouldn't expect what we got this month every month. I think it will become a semi-regular thing, and may only be one or two pages now and again. There is no mention of any board games in the preview of next months issue.

However, I am heavily leaning towards subbing at the moment, and I already bought two copies of this month's. I may just wait and see if next month's is interesting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I think one thing that struck me as I flicked through the pages is that the quality of the models, particularly the centre piece and individual ones, has significantly improved in recent years. I also found myself feeling slightly nostalgic about terrain boards and how atmospheric they can be. On the other hand the battle report for Age of Sigmar was a bloodbath that I couldn't take very much from.

I see the Kill Team concept has returned and thought this was interesting. In some ways this seems to be a direct competitor to Calth, both effectively being skirmish games in the 40Kish universe. Both seeking to scratch that itch of small scale 40K. I'm almost tempted to pick up the rules but suspect that my time would be better spent on 30K!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The models are astounding. Love all the AoS dragons.

I noticed the Kill Team boxed set when it went up for preorder on their site, and I was initially very interested. I am only interested in skirmishes these days like Marvel Universe and Anima Tactics (no time to paint or play full war games), so it seemed perfect. However, as its a supplement to 40K, it's my understanding that I would still need to know the 40K rules and might even need to buy some of the codexes, and it started to feel more like a gateway to 40K than something you could play all the time in its own right. So, I'll stick with Calth for now, and then see what the new Calth-style boxed game is like when that comes out.

AoS does seem brutal, but I don't know if that was just because of the size of the battle. Three bloodthirsters and two dragons flying around seemed a bit much!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scotland
Edinburgh
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Too many dragons in a fantasy game, what's the world coming to.....shake

Seriously I think I've come to the same conclusion on Kill Team....that way danger lies!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.