6 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Games to rent rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Luis Brunson

Florida
msg tools
I recently signed up for Board Game eXchange and I'm looking for suggestions on what to queue up. For those not familiar with the service, it's basically like Netflix/Gamefly for board games. I don't have a local game store/café to try out new games out, so this seems like a good alternative. Otherwise I'm stuck waiting for conventions.

Mostly I game with my wife, our respective parents, and sometimes our son (age 8). As you can imagine we play family games like Catan, Ticket to Ride, Carcassonne, and Takenoko. Can I get some recommendations on good games to rent? Here are the stipulations:

• Family game
• plays well at 3 players. Sometimes we play with more, but mostly it's 3.
• 30-90 mins play time is fine. 60 or less is probably best.
• costs $40 or more. simce I'm renting at $17/month, any lower and I might as well buy.

Bonus: my wife and I will at times play games on our own. We're fairly new to the hobby so we haven't developed preferences in games yet. Are there good games we should rent? I would say the time and money qualifiers apply here as well. Plays well at 2 should be a given.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jesse Bouvier
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does not tick all your boxes, but I'd recommend T.I.M.E Stories anyway. It's a great game to rent because you can only really play through the story once (though this will take a few sessions for a total of a few hours). Also, it's a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George Louie
United States
Alexandria
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Here's a few recommendations to try:
Alien Frontiers
Power Grid
K2
Caverna: The Cave Farmers

A friend of mine used Board Game Exchange when we first started playing, but only kept it for a few months because the shipping is prohibitive. Even at the lowest tier ($17/month) it's still a bit high priced. I think you'd be better off starting with the Top 100 BGG rated games, read some reviews and watch some videos and purchasing a game every 2-3 months. You can also find some of the smaller footprint games for below $20.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joaquin Lowe
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mb

Karuba!

Fantastic family game. I've played it with gamers and non-gamers alike and have universally found that people love it. It is appropriate for 8 year olds, intuitive, and quick to play. The typical response I've received after the first game ends is, "Let's play again!"

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoffrey Burrell
United States
Cedar Rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
Ogre: Objective 218

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luis Brunson

Florida
msg tools
glouie wrote:
Here's a few recommendations to try:
Alien Frontiers
Power Grid
K2
Caverna: The Cave Farmers

Are those family game suggestions? Or more advanced 2 player options? K2 is only one listed as a family game. Looks interesting, I'll add it to my queue. Not sure about the rest. Catan is about the heaviest I think our parents can handle. Power Grid and Caverna probably take longer then they'd like too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.