1 , 2  Next »   | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Fairy Tale, Sushi Go or something else? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I've been recently enjoying 7 wonders, but I'm looking for something more portable that I can take down the pub and along with my gaming buddies, hopefully tempt some of our other friends to join in. The two main contenders would seem to be Sushi Go and Fairy Tale.

Sushi Go, would appear to be easiest to teach, but I'm not struck on the theme or artwork. Fairy Tale looks more interesting, but is it too big a step to get newbies playing? I'd love to hear if anyone has experience of this.

Or if I've overlooked some other possibilities with portable and cheapish, so I don't have to shed too many tears if it got damaged being important factors.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
maf man
United States
Waunakee (madison area)
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My group went with sushi go when in a similar situation. The ease of learning and speed of play out weighed the theme and look of fairly tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Geruntho
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
My go to portable game is Plato 3000. I think I've bought 3 copies over the years (for others, I still have my original deck, 100+ plays) and love it.

Hanabi is great, portable, and easy to teach.

Meuterer is harder to teach, and only found in german, but is a great deck sized game with a nice level of strategy (I recommend only 4 player).

Gloom isn't too shabby either, but it is a take-that game. Bonus, it has plastic cards.

I am not a huge fan of Sushi Go, it's fine as far as games go, but I'm just never "excited" to play it. If you like Drafting though, I think you will like it. I haven't played Fairy Tale, so I can't help you there.

Good luck in your hunt!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alison Mandible
United States
Cambridge
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fairy Tale's not that much fun, and (at least in some editions) the iconography is worse than useless.

I liked Sushi Go a lot for 6 or 7 games; Sushi Go Party offers a more replayable experience but might be too much for a pub situation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Ferguson
msg tools
I think Sushi Go is a little easier to pick up. Fairy Tale is a little bit more strategic. I like them both but prefer Fairy Tale. But I've also played a bunch more Sushi Go and got a little burned out on it.

I think either will work for you. Both are pretty light. The Uno playing type of crowd will probably prefer Sushi Go though. You might also like Dead Man's Draw. Not card drafting but a good quick little game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David B
United States
Chesapeake
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go is miles better than Fairy Tale. As a post above said, the iconography in Fairy Tale absolutely sucks. A lot of cards refer to other cards, but the reference is often a thumb nail picture from the other card and without a border around the picture, it is hard to tell what it is. Very poor graphic design that makes what should be an easy game into one that is very confusing. Sushi Go is very easy to understand and IMO fun to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Harpring
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
My recommendations would be Love Letter (or any of its licensed variants) or Zombie Dice
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ad Astra Per Aspera
United States
Wesley Chapel
Florida
flag msg tools
No matter where you go, there you are.
badge
Preserve Our Wildlife!
mbmbmbmbmb
I feel Fairy Tale is a bit overrated. In fact I threw my copy of the game in the trash. None of my friends wanted it and the local Salvation Army doesn't accept games.

There are many games that are portable and great for pubs.

Port Royal
Love Letter
Wizard (the classic card game)
Diamonds
Lanterns (great for a small round table with up to 4 players)
King of New York (really doesn't take up much space)
Biblios
Bang! The Dice Game (works excellent with many players and is very portable)

Many more, but that's what comes to mind.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb
United States
Seminole
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pfctsqr wrote:
Sushi Go is miles better than Fairy Tale. As a post above said, the iconography in Fairy Tale absolutely sucks. A lot of cards refer to other cards, but the reference is often a thumb nail picture from the other card and without a border around the picture, it is hard to tell what it is. Very poor graphic design that makes what should be an easy game into one that is very confusing. Sushi Go is very easy to understand and IMO fun to play.

Both are relatively mindless pastimes. Sushi Go is super easy to understand and play on auto-pilot; Fairy Tale is much less so. I prefer Sushi Go significantly over the couple of times I've played Fairy Tale. Plus, Sushi Go has a reasonable 2-player variant; 2-player Fairy Tale seems to be really lacking compared to multi-player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl von Laudermann
United States
Unspecified
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Greed is a good drafting game. It isn't as portable as Sushi Go and Fairy Tale, but that's because the box is oversized for what it contains. The game can be made more portable if you don't mind repackaging the components into something smaller.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jin Juku
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Check out Pairs and the Pairs Companion. There are a lot of fun variants in the companion that, imo, outshine the base rules (as fun as they are).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Larouche
Canada
Longueuil
Quebec
flag msg tools
Melting souls with cuteness since 2007
badge
Lovin' N-16
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go's really simple.

Fairy Tale's a much, much better game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I prefer Fairy Tale to Sushi Go. It's a more strategic game.

In Sushi Go, you just pick a card and then play it. Everyone can see what other people are doing.

In Fairy Tale, you draft five cards and then play three of them one at a time (with everyone playing each card simultaneously). So there are more options and more hidden information in Fairy Tale.

I've also played Greed, which I liked. It's also more strategic than Sushi Go but I haven't played it enough times to rank it against Fairy Tale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Maddest Hatter wrote:
I feel Fairy Tale is a bit overrated. In fact I threw my copy of the game in the trash. None of my friends wanted it and the local Salvation Army doesn't accept games.

There are many games that are portable and great for pubs.

Port Royal
Love Letter
Wizard (the classic card game)
Diamonds
Lanterns (great for a small round table with up to 4 players)
King of New York (really doesn't take up much space)
Biblios
Bang! The Dice Game (works excellent with many players and is very portable)

Many more, but that's what comes to mind.

Some other good small games:

Age of War
Elevenses
Fidelitas
Fluxx (some people love it; some people hate it)
Just Desserts
Matcha (although this is only two players)
Red7
Too Many Cinderellas
Yardmaster

Of these, I'd rank Age of War, Just Desserts, and Yardmaster as the easiest to learn and play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott O'Brien
United States
Connellsville
PA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sushi Go Party!
Love Letter
For Sale
Fluxx
Flip City
Port Royal
Oh My Goods!

Splendor is very portable.
As would be San Juan
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Yang
Canada
Woodbridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At a pub, on a table with beers, food, etc... I'd say go with Love Letter. By far the smallest footprint intrigue / hidden role game I've played and works great at a pub table full of beers and food.

I wouldn't bring Sushi Go to a pub, takes up too much space (when competing with beers and food), that is of course if you don't plan on eating/drinking at the pub then in that case pretty much any small game will do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Love letter does appear to be an interesting game but it shoots itself in the foot with the name. I can foresee some of my friends refusing to give it a go because it sounds like a game early-teen girls, even the rethemes have a big Love Letter logo on them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris thatcher
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Archaeology: The New Expedition is fantastic. Easy rules, very portable.

Port Royal great push your luck game.

Biblios

The Boss

Coup (2012)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Waz
United States
Hawaii
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Sushi Go gets my vote

as a side note maybe look at Roll For It or Las Vegas if a dice game itches the spot

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodkaman wrote:
Love letter does appear to be an interesting game but it shoots itself in the foot with the name. I can foresee some of my friends refusing to give it a go because it sounds like a game early-teen girls, even the rethemes have a big Love Letter logo on them.

But Fairy Tale was ok?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave H
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Everyone knows fairy tales have got a dark side to them.

As I said, the rethemes have Love Letter emblazoned on them, except maybe Lovecraft Letters which doesn't seem to be available anywhere at a price that doesn't require remortgaging my house.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Munchkin Loot Letter maybe?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Y P
United States
Mississippi
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Rolling America / Rolling Japan. Very small footprint, and aside from the dice and pencils the game is disposable in the form of a tear-off map/score sheet for each player. Another in the same vein is Qwixx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rachel Atkins
United States
Mountain View
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Vodkaman wrote:
As I said, the rethemes have Love Letter emblazoned on them, except maybe Lovecraft Letters which doesn't seem to be available anywhere at a price that doesn't require remortgaging my house.

If you like the Archer IP, maybe Archer: Once You Go Blackmail... would be a good one. It says in smaller letters "A Love Letter game", so maybe no one will notice at first. You can also try Lost Legacy: The Starship or one of the other Lost Legacy iterations if you want a different themed Love Letter type game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
France
flag msg tools
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmb
Genestealer1969 wrote:
Try Alienation. It has replaced Sushi Go for us completely.

Does seem a lot more interesting. Sushi Go is a great gateway game but it's boring and random as hell.

Dark Dealings is great but might be too complicated for newbies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.