Subject: 10 unit limit and strongholds breaking rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
jerome archer
Canada
st julie
québec
flag msg tools
Sorry if that question Was already answer somewhere else on the forum but do leader and compagnion in the limit or only regular and elite does ?

Im asking because im having a lot of trouble closing Minas Thirith in an reseonable amount of dice. Im loosing a lot of troops and sacrifice an elite for a second round seem a not so good option. If i bring 2 nasgul for reroll, im loosing 20% of my striking forces...

Any tips how to break Strongholds efficiently ?
Regards

Djay
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders, Characters, and Nazgul never count against the stacking limit. Only Army units (regular and elite) do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl Hanson
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When retreating into a siege you can only take 5 units (plus leaders & characters). If you are allowing the defender to take a full 10 units into the siege that would make things very difficult for the Shadow Player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Hansen
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Leaders and companions/nazgul never count towards stacking limits.

In general, when you are sieging a stronghold you should always have at least 4 leadership (I usually target 6) to make sure you are getting every roll possible. Also, it's a good idea to have at least twice as many units (counting elites as 2) as the defending army. The worst thing that can happen is for your siege to fail while you have to wait for reinforcements. Of course, the Witch King is also great for letting you play combat cards with every die.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jerome archer
Canada
st julie
québec
flag msg tools
Got it ...
I was including my leaders/ minions/ Nasguls in the 10 unit limit per army.
Bad News for my FP friends ...

Thanks guy's !
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
turambur wrote:
When retreating into a siege you can only take 5 units (plus leaders & characters). If you are allowing the defender to take a full 10 units into the siege that would make things very difficult for the Shadow Player.

Really? Where is this rule written? I have been playing for a year and a half, but did not know this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike M
United States
Pisgah Forest
North Carolina
flag msg tools
www.gameholecon.com
badge
129/420
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:
turambur wrote:

Really? Where is this rule written? I have been playing for a year and a half, but did not know this.

"An Army can be composed of a maximum of ten units, or five units if the Army is inside a Stronghold under siege." Page 8.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Sheep wrote:
savedbyhim01 wrote:
turambur wrote:

"An Army can be composed of a maximum of ten units, or five units if the Army is inside a Stronghold under siege." Page 8.

Wow. I can't believe I missed that. So if a Gondor army is in the region of Minis Tirith and it has 7 units can 5 units retreat and the remaining 2 units fight a field battle first? Or is a field battle fought until the defending units are lowered to 5 or less?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick
Germany
flag msg tools
Neither nor. You have two Options:

1) You fight a field Battle with all your 7 Units.
2) You retreat and 2 of your units go back to your supply (not casulties!)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Dexter
msg tools
mbmbmb
Nosdasil wrote:
Neither nor. You have two Options:

1) You fight a field Battle with all your 7 Units.
2) You retreat and 2 of your units go back to your supply (not casulties!)

Very interesting. Thanks. Obviously it makes a huge difference in one defends strongholds and whole nations. Is there a thematic tie-in to this or is it purely a "don't make it too difficult for the shadow player" rule?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Hannover
flag msg tools
Option 1b) Fight a couple of field battle rounds and then retreat into the stronghold (when you have fewer army units).

This is possible at the beginning of every combat round and it ends the battle. The shadow will need another action to attack the now besieged stronghold.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Genestealer Patriarch
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The units represent hundreds or thousands of individuals, so thematically you might only fit a few of these into a fortress and still defend it effectively. Also a handful of brave defenders seeing off a much larger force of attackers happens a few times in the books. In the battle for Helm's Deep, the attack is by some 10,000 Uruk-Hai, who would not have been able to all physically fit in the Fortress had they taken it.

Leaders, companions and Nazgul only represent one individual each so there is no limit to how many you can cram in there. One regular infantry unit would outnumber all such characters in the game.

Sieges are one of the few occasions where having an Elite units can be better than having a larger number of regular units.

If the defender has a large horde on a stronghold space it is often worth fighting a round or two in open battle until reduced to 5 units, whereupon he immediately withdraws into siege, ending the battle. Can be risky if he takes too many casualties in one go though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Chapman
United States
Powhatan
Virginia
flag msg tools
Axis & Allies Developer and Playtester; War of the Ring Editor and Playtester
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
savedbyhim01 wrote:
Is there a thematic tie-in to this or is it purely a "don't make it too difficult for the shadow player" rule?

A bit of both, I think. Obviously it's impossible to pack as many people into a Stronghold that's part of region as you can into the entire region itself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.