Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Dario Domenici
Italy
Roma
RM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I’ve already let known my opinion about MBT maps in other threadsyuk, yet I like the game.

Now, I’ve been playing Advanced Squad Leader for more than 30 years and have about everything official published: this includes more than 60 geomorphic maps, plus 6-8 ‘doubles’ and many overlays: for those who don’t know ASL, map scale is about 1 hex = 40 yards and represent typical European country (except 5-6 maps of barren terrain for North African scenarios)

So, as soon I’ve opened my MBT box and seen the poor maps included, in a part of my brain a neon sign started blinking: MBT on ASL maps?

thumbsup: beautiful maps, full of details, right colours, LOTS of combinations.

thumbsdown: different scale, lack of open fields, double table surface needed to play.

Sooo… scale can easily be adjusted; considering ASL map hexes 50 meters wide (instead of 40 yards), just double every hex value on cards and rules and half stacking penalties numbers. As these maps have much more variation, with many small houses, hedges, walls, orchards, brushes and clump of trees freely scattered all around, perhaps hull down attempts in certain terrain types could be dispensed with, leaving HD status to behind walls and on hill crests.

Modern AFVs can hurt each other at very long range and I’m afraid ASL maps would rarely allow long or extreme ranges fire opportunities between ground level opponents. Special rules can ‘cancel’ in season grain fields, and overlays can also help: however, small hills and ridges are common features and a good defender would surely (and quite realistically) set his assets in order to exploit the longer fields of fire granted by those elevated positions.

It would take roughly 3 or 4 ASL maps to cover the area of a single MBT one, so a large table might be needed to play. The real problem would be the size of vehicle counters (ASL map hexes are smaller than MBT’s) , but it wouldn’t be too difficult to print and cut a smaller set of vehicle counters (just vehicle pic, type and ID).

What would you get? Surely play might be different, with IFVs and tanks sprinting through open ground to place themselves behind small cover and in good firing position - and less charges in plain view and under murderous fire-.

I think I’ll give this idea a try…
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Wheal
United States
Kosse
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fire Team

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Håkan Lundgren
Sweden
Skellefteå
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MWAlbion wrote:
Fire Team

+1

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can make Your own maps with the coloring You prefer.

I made such a map with the program Hexdraw.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/23510829#23510829

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Terry Simo
United States
Las Vegas
Nevada
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheRealKid wrote:

Have you tried importing the map into the vassal mod. Map looks great

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
No. I didn't try. If someone wants to do it, he can of course.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Russo
United States
flag msg tools
Quote:
Fire Team

Is Fire Team 100m also?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Russo
United States
flag msg tools
TheRealKid wrote:

B.B., just a question: the Panzer & MBT maps are 10 hexes "high" (short side), but your maps have more than 10 hexes. Was this a design decision based on the scenario? or based on paper size for printing?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
This was a design decision based on paper size for printing. I ordered the map as a 45 x 60 cm laminated poster for 23.97 Euro. With 15 and a half hexes in the A column the hex size will be 2.9 cm.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Russo
United States
flag msg tools
Sounds nice, was it a local print shop or online?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
B. B.
Germany
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Online. Posterxxl.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mark law
Australia
brisbane
qld
flag msg tools
I hate the maps as well-I use maps from the Conflict of Heroes series of games and they work reasonably well the counters actually fit in the hexes.
Photocopies under plexiglass work wonders. I would love the people at GMT to do decent maps for MBT and Panzer and put this on P500 - have a look and see what you think.The Academy games maps aren't perfect but they are a huge improvement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.