Trickerion: Legends of Illusion» Forums » General

Subject: Theme of taking money from the Bank? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Chris Smith

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I didn't understand from the rulebook what was happening thematically when you go Downtown and get coins from the Bank.

Are you taking money from your personal account? If so, why is it an arbitrary amount each turn?

Is it a loan, but the game mechanics and/or theme don't address the repercussions?

Is it putting your prestidigitation to work for more unscrupulous purposes?

I just like knowing where my money is coming from!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Drog
United States
Ponte Vedra Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clearly you don't actually go to the "bank" you just sit outside and rope off a corner to perform some street magic (cards, sleight of hand, pulling stuff out of hat) sometimes there's just a handful of people walking by and you get a little money and sometimes you get a crowd to give you a bunch of money it tips.... Or maybe its just a spot to get money like in every other worker placement game....whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon C
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Clearly you don't actually go to the "bank" you just sit outside and rope off a corner to perform some street magic (cards, sleight of hand, pulling stuff out of hat) sometimes there's just a handful of people walking by and you get a little money and sometimes you get a crowd to give you a bunch of money it tips....

I really like that - sort of wish that had been the theming instead!

Alternatively, it's a question of going into the bank and using your magic to see how much you can walk out with...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Smith

New York
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like that too! Maybe we should call it the "Busker's Corner."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristo Vaher
Estonia
Tallinn
Harjumaa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is an investment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LeonardQuirm wrote:
Alternatively, it's a question of going into the bank and using your magic to see how much you can walk out with...

LOL! That one I LIKE laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mdrog2 wrote:
Clearly you don't actually go to the "bank" you just sit outside and rope off a corner to perform some street magic (cards, sleight of hand, pulling stuff out of hat) sometimes there's just a handful of people walking by and you get a little money and sometimes you get a crowd to give you a bunch of money it tips....

Very good thematic for it I think!

mdrog2 wrote:
Or maybe its just a spot to get money like in every other worker placement game....whistle

The actual truth…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Schmidt
Sweden
Malmö
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Kektek wrote:
I like that too! Maybe we should call it the "Busker's Corner."

I like that too.

And, while I personally prefer Euro mechanics (with luck first, then decision), for people who like Ameritrash mechanics (with decision first, then luck), you could have it make even more thematic sense by letting people go there first, and then throw the dice (perhaps getting to choose the best one, or only throw one and get whatever it shows). If you get to throw both and choose the best result, I think that variation might not even impact how the game plays all that much…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Roland Sanchez
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The obvious answer - in this world/time period, the ATM machines in front of the bank have a normal daily withdrawal limit, just like the real ATMs in our world.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Chris,

Just got around to reading your OP... What a great question that I would never have thought of in a million years! Being an Ameritrasher, I'm thusly disappointed in myself!

Regardless, you had me at, "prestidigitation"!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.