Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
SuperBrian
United States
Ringwood
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quick question that I think I know the answer to.

I played a solo round as the knight. Normal difficulty, etc. Pretty easy and I won easily. But my question is, does the "Alone in the Dark" variant card (which says to place one tile at the end of my turn for each crystal tile exposed or for each hero cube I had available to play whichever is greater) supercede the "The Cave Grows" card that says I have to play a tile at the end of my turn if there's no cave player?

Kind of a long question. It seems that since it's a variant, it overrides the normal rule.

Second question as long as I've got your ear. The solo play rules say I need two monster tokens. What are they for? I didn't encounter monsters because I was playing normal. Or at least I don't think I did? Is it something to do with event cards (which I didn't get this time somehow.)

Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad

Indiana
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe Kyle said that it supersedes the cave growing card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Brad is correct regarding the "Alone in the Dark" card overriding the normal rule.

Quote:
Second question as long as I've got your ear. The solo play rules say I need two monster tokens. What are they for? I didn't encounter monsters because I was playing normal. Or at least I don't think I did? Is it something to do with event cards (which I didn't get this time somehow.)

You might use those tokens if you play with "Monster" difficulty (some monsters remain on the board if you don't defeat them during an ambush). If you're playing Ambush difficulties with goblins only you won't need them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, the Alone in the Dark tile placement replaces the normal end-of-turn tile placement. This is noted under the heading of the Solo variants section, but could be easy to miss if you jump straight to the individual variants.

The two Monster tokens are used with ambushes (Goblin Infestation) when you're at the highest difficulty setting. You draw monsters instead of fighting goblins of strength 2 or 3, and if you don't defeat the Troll or Ogre when they come up those tokens get placed on the map.

If you're playing at one of the lower difficulty levels, the Fearless sidequest gives you the option to draw a monster instead of using the normal value.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Furman
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
briandickens wrote:
Does the "Alone in the Dark" variant card supercede the "The Cave Grows" card?

Yes.
briandickens wrote:
The solo play rules say I need two monster tokens. What are they for?

There is at least one Side Quest card that lets you pull a monster card instead of fighting normal goblins -- the monster tokens could come into play then.

Aside: Use the ambush text on the monster cards only when playing solo mode.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SuperBrian
United States
Ringwood
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
cromusz wrote:
I believe Kyle said that it supersedes the cave growing card.

Thanks. That's what I thought. It's pretty obvious, but just wanted to make sure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
SuperBrian
United States
Ringwood
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Woelf wrote:
Yes, the Alone in the Dark tile placement replaces the normal end-of-turn tile placement. This is noted under the heading of the Solo variants section, but could be easy to miss if you jump straight to the individual variants.

The two Monster tokens are used with ambushes (Goblin Infestation) when you're at the highest difficulty setting. You draw monsters instead of fighting goblins of strength 2 or 3, and if you don't defeat the Troll or Ogre when they come up those tokens get placed on the map.

If you're playing at one of the lower difficulty levels, the Fearless sidequest gives you the option to draw a monster instead of using the normal value.

Thanks! I certainly did not play at the highest difficulty.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a related question, can the Knight add Strength cubes after drawing the monster card (and seeing its strength)?

I'd assume not, as I believe it was established elsewhere that they can't cast Shield after drawing a Rats event, but just to make sure...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
As a related question, can the Knight add Strength cubes after drawing the monster card (and seeing its strength)?
The Ambush rules (both solo and non-solo) specifically say that you can add cubes after the ambush is triggered.

Quote:
I'd assume not, as I believe it was established elsewhere that they can't cast Shield after drawing a Rats event, but just to make sure...
The Shield does the opposite, and says that it must be activated before the grit loss happens.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Fenton
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess my question regarding the Ambush rules related to whether the Ambush is "triggered" before or after the monster card is drawn and revealed.

If the Ambush is "triggered" by revealing the card, then the Knight could increase strength afterward.
If revealing the card were part of the resolution, instead, the Knight might not be able to (similar to the Knight being unable to add further cubes AFTER the Goblins decide whether to attack in a Goblin-player game). Based on your response, I'll read between the lines to see that revealing the card is part of the "trigger".

Regarding the Shield, I admit I missed the "before these effects are revealed" part of the Shield description.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dsdhornet wrote:
I guess my question regarding the Ambush rules related to whether the Ambush is "triggered" before or after the monster card is drawn and revealed.

If the Ambush is "triggered" by revealing the card, then the Knight could increase strength afterward.
If revealing the card were part of the resolution, instead, the Knight might not be able to (similar to the Knight being unable to add further cubes AFTER the Goblins decide whether to attack in a Goblin-player game). Based on your response, I'll read between the lines to see that revealing the card is part of the "trigger".
Correct. Just like in a game with a Goblin player where you can look at the strengths of any hidden tribes that are available to ambush you before deciding to adjust strength, against a monster ambush you can also see what you're up against before deciding.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.