$15.00
$30.00
$5.00
$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Risk Europe» Forums » Rules

Subject: Battle and rank question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Picked up the game last night at Target because my son saw it and had to have it. Thankfully, it has more in common with euro area control games than old school mass market Risk. The minis, board, tiles and game play are great but the cards are a little thin for my liking and will need to be sleeved.

I'm a little confused by battle and ranks even after reading through rules and examples. Say you have a mix of only archers and cavalry so you would roll and attack for ranks 2 and 3. Rank 4 description says "All units/footmen" so would you still roll for Rank 4 after completing 2 & 3? Since only Rank 4 lets defenders roll to counter attacks, it seems fair to always include it as a "catch-all". The rules lead you to believe you only use Rank 4 if any sort of footmen are involved. Wish there was a FAQ from designers or something to clarify finer details.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The cards are fine. No need to be sleeved at all.

And yes, it's pretty clear - all units pile in on Rank 4, as per a traditional risk fight.

The first 3 ranks allow special attacks, then everyone's an equal unit for one roll.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burgess
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snordboard wrote:
because my son saw it and had to have it...


Sure....

MrMT wrote:
The cards are fine. No need to be sleeved at all.
.


I absolutely disagree. The cards are thin. Not that I'll sleeve them, because I never sleeve anything, but they're definitely thin.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MercifulBiscuit wrote:

I absolutely disagree. The cards are thin. Not that I'll sleeve them, because I never sleeve anything, but they're definitely thin.


They are thin. And they're entirely adequate for purpose.

Could they be thicker? Sure.

Do they work as is? Sure.

Do they NEED to be sleeved? Nope.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MrMT wrote:
The cards are fine. No need to be sleeved at all.

I normally don't care at all for sleeves but my younger boys aren't the most gentile with components and I can see them easily being bent.

MrMT wrote:
And yes, it's pretty clear - all units pile in on Rank 4, as per a traditional risk fight.

The first 3 ranks allow special attacks, then everyone's an equal unit for one roll.

I'm glad it's clear to somebody. Regarding the special Rank 1-3 attacks: There are like 12 dice included - what if any is the limit? Say you have 5 archers, are you rolling 5 dice? On Rank 4 you are capped at 3 attackers/2 defenders like standard Risk. Sorry if I missed that in the rules, played it late last night and don't have rules in front of me.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Anthony
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snordboard wrote:
because my son saw it and had to have it...


MercifulBiscuit wrote:
Sure....

Well, I hate playing standard Risk with a 3 hour war of attrition so I was a little worried it would suck in the same fashion. I think our first 4 player game last night played in about 90 min. I've been pleasantly surprised so far by both Risk:Star Wars Edition and Risk:Europe.

1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Turner
United Kingdom
Farnham
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
snordboard wrote:
MrMT wrote:
The cards are fine. No need to be sleeved at all.

I normally don't care at all for sleeves but my younger boys aren't the most gentile with components and I can see them easily being bent.


I understand that... and this is, indeed, a reason to sleeve cards. When my kids were young I did the same. Mine liked to chew on them.

But I don't think it would make any difference to young kids with thicker cards either. I also wished they were a little more durable, but really I don't see it as a problem... They are thin, but a little plasticky, so should survive some wear and tear.

snordboard wrote:
MrMT wrote:
And yes, it's pretty clear - all units pile in on Rank 4, as per a traditional risk fight.

The first 3 ranks allow special attacks, then everyone's an equal unit for one roll.

I'm glad it's clear to somebody. Regarding the special Rank 1-3 attacks: There are like 12 dice included - what if any is the limit? Say you have 5 archers, are you rolling 5 dice? On Rank 4 you are capped at 3 attackers/2 defenders like standard Risk. Sorry if I missed that in the rules, played it late last night and don't have rules in front of me.


Yes.

Rank 1: all players roll for all their siege engines, losers assign damage.
Rank 2: as above, archers.
Rank 3: as above, knights.
Rank 4: everyone piles in, does the traditional risk roll (capped)
and then, back to rank 1.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Schenck
United States
Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
GO BUCKS!
badge
Stop touching me!
mbmbmbmbmb
snordboard wrote:
I've been pleasantly surprised so far by both Risk:Star Wars Edition and Risk:Europe.

Both by the same designer, too. I thought that might be the case when I saw the similarity in how the order cards work. So I checked, and sure enough it's the same guy. It's good to know that Hasbro has at least one creative designer on staff still.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ham Seto
United States
New York
flag msg tools
new user
Hi
Still confused with rank 4 attack if someone can please help. For example attacker has 2 archers and 10 footmen, total 12 attackers in rank 4, after having completed rank 1 to 3. At rank 4 does the attacker just get 1 roll of 3 dice vs 2 and we go back to rank 1, or since there are 12 attackers there are 4 rolls of a 3 vs 2 so every attacker gets a roll. Thanks
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A. 'At rank 4 does the attacker just get 1 roll of 3 dice vs 2 and we go back to rank 1'... CORRECT, at rank four it's like 'regular risk' dice rolling.


B. 'since there are 12 attackers there are 4 rolls of a 3 vs 2 so every attacker gets a roll'.... INCORRECT, see A.

Hope that clarifies it for you!
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ham Seto
United States
New York
flag msg tools
new user
Thanks Pepe. So foot soldiers are truly fodder! When played by the basic rule, if the resource is out of a piece, eg. siege weapon, that's it right, only 4 siege weapons max per player....i guess to limit the game from turning into axis and allies with battles having hundreds of units.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pepe Carrillo
United States
Tuscola
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hszeto wrote:
Thanks Pepe. So foot soldiers are truly fodder! When played by the basic rule, if the resource is out of a piece, eg. siege weapon, that's it right, only 4 siege weapons max per player....i guess to limit the game from turning into axis and allies with battles having hundreds of units.



Ahhh, the life of a foot soldier... reminds me of the scene in Braveheart when Longshanks has his archers rain arrows on both the Scots and his own soldiers...
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.