$30.00
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Hey I did my part. Two kids.

As for the second quoted article: well, duh. Only romantic morons think life was better 100 years ago, 1,000 years ago, or even 50 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sustaining the elderly is not the issue, having enugh natural resources to sustain everyone might be, if the population grows significantly beyond where it is now. More people in general means more demand for water, fossil fuels, electricity, land....all things in limited quantity on this planet of ours. Competition for these resources would be fierce, with the likely winners being the current first world countries, at the expense of everyone else.

http://yaleglobal.yale.edu/content/world-population-trends-s...

Summary of dangers from the article above;

In the years ahead, governments and the international community must address development consequences of population dynamics before they unfold by adopting forward-looking and pro-active policies based on past, current and foreseeable demographic trends. These population trends present challenges for all societies in the 21st century including low labor force participation, especially among youth; limited female empowerment; environmental degradation; food and water shortages; rapid urbanization; insufficient provision of housing, education and medical care; restrictive immigration policies; forced displacement and failing states. Good planning could reduce the cost of unforeseen investments in security and disaster relief for the inevitable crises ahead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Binkowski
United States
Rochester
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
A completely avoidable problem is looming: a huge population of elderly people with not enough younger working people to sustain them.

Which means we need to start making babies.

Why make babies when we can just import them from nations who don't share our values?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
"Don't be humble... you're not that great."
mbmbmbmbmb
So in essence, be happy because life is pretty good, and have a couple kids.

Done and done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
Sustaining the elderly is not the issue, having enugh natural resources to sustain everyone might be, if the population grows significantly beyond where it is now.

If the doomsayers were right, we'd have had mass starvation by 1980. But we didn't. Because reality (due to advances in technology) always proves the Malthusians wrong. Why are they right this time when they've always been wrong in the past?

Mmm. Soylent green.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andre
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The article does not list starvaton as a major issue, but the struggle for resources that help produce food might be an issue, namely, water and land. It may mean more people fall below the poverty line, not exactly a good thing, and it may only exacerbate what some may feel is "the rich getting richer and the poor getting poorer". India and China have the largest populations in the world, but a HUGE number of their inhabitants live below the poverty line. Stuff another hunded million in the same box, and the results can't be good.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Boise
Idaho
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Living where I live, LDS Central, I feel blessed every day because Mormons just "bud" new infants at a steady pace. So I am surrounded by young people and cheerful smiles that will be working and marrying and budding new marrying, budding, smiling children... all part of the system to help me sustain my comfortable lifestyle.

Someone like me admitting I feel blessed is pretty dramatic. Because I'm not even a tiny bit religious. But I sure like them folks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:

See also:

Why can’t we see that we’re living in a golden age?

Quote:
If you think that there has never been a better time to be alive — that humanity has never been safer, healthier, more prosperous or less unequal — then you’re in the minority. But that is what the evidence incontrovertibly shows. Poverty, malnutrition, illiteracy, child labour and infant mortality are falling faster than at any other time in human history. The risk of being caught up in a war, subjected to a dictatorship or of dying in a natural disaster is smaller than ever. The golden age is now.

. . .

Karl Marx thought that capitalism inevitably made the rich richer and the poor poorer. By the time Marx died, however, the average Englishman was three times richer than at the time of his birth 65 years earlier — never before had the population experienced anything like it.

Fast forward to 1981. Then, almost nine in ten Chinese lived in extreme poverty; now just one in ten do. Then, just half of the world’s population had access to safe water. Now, 91 per cent do. On average, that means that 285,000 more people have gained access to safe water every day for the past 25 years.

Global trade has led to an expansion of wealth on a magnitude which is hard to comprehend. During the 25 years since the end of the Cold War, global economic wealth — or GDP per capita — has increased almost as much as it did during the preceding 25,000 years. It’s no coincidence that such growth has occurred alongside a massive expansion of rule by the people for the people. A quarter of a century ago, barely half the world’s countries were democracies. Now, almost two thirds are. To say that freedom is still on the march is an understatement.

Part of our problem is one of success. As we get richer, our tolerance for global poverty diminishes. So we get angrier about injustices. Charities quite rightly wish to raise funds, so they draw our attention to the plight of the world’s poorest. But since the Cold War ended, extreme poverty has decreased from 37 per cent to 9.6 per cent — in single digits for the first time in history.

Totally agree with this. I tell my students and my own 6 kids that they are among the richest that the planet has ever seen. They often have a hard time believing it because they don't know any better but its true even if they live in families with lower incomes like myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:
Sustaining the elderly is not the issue, having enugh natural resources to sustain everyone might be, if the population grows significantly beyond where it is now.

If the doomsayers were right, we'd have had mass starvation by 1980. But we didn't. Because reality (due to advances in technology) always proves the Malthusians wrong. Why are they right this time when they've always been wrong in the past?

If the doomsayers were right Jesus would have been back a dozen or more times by now but you still go to church and still think he will be back someday.

Science and technology may come up with answers but they might be as unpalatable as the concept of cloned meat slurry.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In before this gets Shreved with Quiverfull.

Just bored and reading Federalist all day Drew?

But yeah that Golden Age article makes sense. I thought you were the one who keeps saying things were getting worse though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wendell
United States
Alexandria (temporarily)
Virginia
flag msg tools
All the little chicks with crimson lips, go...
badge
Hey, get your stinking cursor off my face! I got nukes, you know.
mbmbmbmbmb
I do think we're living in good times.

Hope we can keep it going so good for those children and grandchildren.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Carter
United States
Marion
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No thanks. I don’t like kids.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mlcarter815 wrote:

What kind of marinate do you use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I find that a raspberry vinaigrette dressing marinade adds a nice fruitiness to the meat then slather on some honey based BBQ sauce and slow roast...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam I am
United States
Portage
Michigan
flag msg tools
What did I tell you...
badge
NO PICKLE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
rcbevco wrote:
Science and technology may come up with answers but they might be as unpalatable as the concept of cloned meat slurry.

You reject science and technology because it's scary?

Nope but meat from a vat sounds... gross (no worse that the pink sludge they put in hot dogs I guess). BUT since I'm game I'd try it without hesitation. I survived veggie burgers. I'll survive vat meat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm vegetarian but if the meat is grown in a vat so that nothing died or is mistreated in the process, I don't see the problem. Of course my digestive system will probably still object which is why I went vegetarian in the first place (more or less).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
rcbevco wrote:
whac3 wrote:
mlcarter815 wrote:

I find that a raspberry vinaigrette dressing marinade adds a nice fruitiness to the meat then slather on some honey based BBQ sauce and slow roast...

Naw. Chicken fry 'em then cover with cream gravy. Serve with a side order of mashed kittens.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Drew1365 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

It's a pretty simple model.

Critique here
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malthusian_catastrophe

The problem with this model is... it's already out of date with a projected population of 12 billion and an 80% chance the population will continue to increase from that point.

A more robust model based on various factors including non-renewables.

There are many limits to growth. We might solve some of them fully (disease?) and others partially (pollution of various kinds).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
On a more basic note, if we keep having more children it just puts off the problem of transition to a steady state model.

Since our productivity is 100x what it was a century ago, we should be able to take care of our seniors and ensure they have a roof, food, and entertainment. Maybe not steak but good food.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm more worried about the practicality of it. It's tough to have one kid, let alone more, in a two-earner household.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Michealson
United States
Maple Grove
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
DWTripp wrote:
Living where I live, LDS Central, I feel blessed every day because Mormons just "bud" new infants at a steady pace. So I am surrounded by young people and cheerful smiles that will be working and marrying and budding new marrying, budding, smiling children... all part of the system to help me sustain my comfortable lifestyle.

Someone like me admitting I feel blessed is pretty dramatic. Because I'm not even a tiny bit religious. But I sure like them folks.

What's not to like?!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xander Fulton
United States
Lake Oswego
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Waitwaitwait...

...where did we go from "sustaining the elderly by draining the productive efforts of younger generations" to "= good for the planet"?

I think I missed a turn, somewhere in there...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Strobe
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Listen to your sidekick and eat the pennies.
mbmbmbmbmb
XanderF wrote:
Waitwaitwait...

...where did we go from "sustaining the elderly by draining the productive efforts of younger generations" to "= good for the planet"?

I think I missed a turn, somewhere in there...

Leftists don't like overpopulation and leftists are 100% wrong about everything, therefore overpopulation is amazing and super awesome and we should do it.

There's the turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
whac3 wrote:
Drew1365 wrote:
abadolato01 wrote:

Mmm. Soylent green.
Carosel.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent J
United States
Coldwater
Michigan
flag msg tools
He's looking real sharp in his 1940's fedora. He's got nerves of steel, an iron will, and several other metal-themed attributes. His fur is water tight and he's always up for a fight.
badge
He's a semi-aquatic egg-laying mammal of action. He's a furry little flat-foot who'll never flinch from a fray. He's got more than just mad skills, he's got a beaver tail and a bill.
mbmbmbmbmb
Just because we're economically in a golden age doesn't mean that everything is better.

It depends on what metrics you use.

Strangely enough, we're safer now. This isn't even at the cost of freedom. We gave up freedom to FEEL safer, though, but the freedoms that have been robbed are not actually helping anything be safer.

We've largely decided due to the economic success that we don't really need God after all.

We're using up our natural resources and someday the ones we're using will run out. The USA will probably plan ahead and be ready to switch to something sustainable by then, but in some other countries they'll only have enough infrastructure to keep the rich and powerful powered and the rest of the country, who cares?

But, yeah, overall things are great right now. I should have another kid.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.