Michael Primeau
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings.

My name is Mike and I live in Toronto, Canada. I am attending Essen 2016, because I am producing a radio piece for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation about the growth of the board game world and what's behind its expanding popularity.

In Denmark, there is a concept called Hygge, and I would very much like to interview someone who is a native of Denmark about this.

If you are someone, or know someone from Denmark and you are going to Essen, please contact me. Thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Olsen
Denmark
Ringsted
Danmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You probably know this, but since you are in Germany (for Essen), you might want to interview a German (also), since they have the same concept: Gemütlichkeit

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gem%C3%BCtlichkeit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Primeau
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey Michael

I was actually completely unaware. Believe it or not, this concept of Hygge is almost completely unknown to people in North America. I recently read about it in an article for the first time.

So I appreciate the info, as it can be just another layer to add.

Regards,
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
You also have cosy in English and gezellig in Dutch. They all overlap and have something the others do not quite cover. Danish/Norwegian might be the only language where it's used as a verb though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Brichs
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelP1973 wrote:
Greetings.

My name is Mike and I live in Toronto, Canada. I am attending Essen 2016, because I am producing a radio piece for the Canadian Broadcasting Corporation about the growth of the board game world and what's behind its expanding popularity.

In Denmark, there is a concept called Hygge, and I would very much like to interview someone who is a native of Denmark about this.

If you are someone, or know someone from Denmark and you are going to Essen, please contact me. Thanks!

I'm going to be at Essen; I'll drop you a line in your private mesages.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Primeau
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am seeing now that many European countries have something like Hygge. I think that's what makes this so fascinating. In these countries, it's considered to be unified within its own culture. In North America, it's more of a personal and individual evaluation, and perhaps why our word cozy, doesn't make as big of a splash....it's just a word to describe a thing...not a word to describe an activity or something that is a piece of fabric in a country's culture.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hygge = cozy

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
Even thought you can translate hygge to cozy it's not the same. It's a feeling, a mood, a thing you share, something you experience, something you can have on your own or with friends. It could be seeing a long lost friend, or it could be sharing a cup of tea with your neighbour. It's just to complex to be translated as a single word.

I can recommend the book Living Danishly https://www.amazon.co.uk/Year-Living-Danishly-Uncovering-Hap... for an example of a foreign person trying to explaining what it is.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steen Bang-Madsen
Denmark
Taastrup
DK
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
Slotracer wrote:
Hygge = cozy

That's only partly true.

cozy = hyggelig
hygge <> cozy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
René Christensen
Denmark
Solroed Strand
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus Nielsen
Denmark
Viborg
flag msg tools
If you wish for peace, prepare for war!
badge
Si vis pacem, para bellum!
mbmbmbmbmb
There is also this video about hygge:

https://www.facebook.com/theguardian/videos/553244424863325/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Primeau
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I actually watched that video before I posted. Uncanny!

I find this to be quite a captivating concept...I feel this country really sets the bar in many things...especially education.

The idea of stopping to take in your surroundings has become an incredible challenge for North Americans. It's a sad state in my opinion. It's not to say we don't stop to relax, but we just don't know how to embrace it in the same context.

Good on ya Denmark!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain this further. Looks like I will get to meet a whole pile of Danes at Essen, and I am really looking forward to that!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lars Wagner Hansen
Denmark
Sorø
flag msg tools
designer
Any time, any place!
badge
Fingers off, that's my car!
mbmbmbmbmb
MichaelP1973 wrote:
I actually watched that video before I posted. Uncanny!

I find this to be quite a captivating concept...I feel this country really sets the bar in many things...especially education.

The idea of stopping to take in your surroundings has become an incredible challenge for North Americans. It's a sad state in my opinion. It's not to say we don't stop to relax, but we just don't know how to embrace it in the same context.

Good on ya Denmark!

Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain this further. Looks like I will get to meet a whole pile of Danes at Essen, and I am really looking forward to that!

Actually it's because the Essen fair is hyggelig

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Primeau
Canada
Brampton
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
[/q]
Actually it's because the Essen fair is hyggelig [/q]

YES!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.