Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
James Sanheim
Canada
Coppersands
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of discussion. - Plato.
mbmbmbmbmb
Four of us played the standard 4 player team game.
It was my first game and I have a question as well as some observations.
1) Can units normally retreat?
Example. One player moves units into space containing units of another player. Can the other player on their turn just move their pieces out? From my impression of the game I think the answer is no but I couldn't actually find this stated anywhere. It seems to me this is where the town portal card becomes important; it can in effect be used to retreat.

2) If one player captures another player's town centre can they, in later turns, deploy their own units there? I believe the rules use the wording destroy (I don't have them with me right now) so this would suggest no.

3) If the town centre is destroyed does it count as 3 points if held?

4) It seems that at times players can end up with a stock pile of one resource. Although it makes sense to force players to plan to have both resources, and in a team game players can merely trade/give resources freely back and forth, I still think that having the ability to trade in one's resources for the other would make sense. Of course I would suggest possibly at a rate of 3-1 or 4-1.

5) We all seemed to agree that we hated the rule that melee units couldn't normally attack flying units. Although I see the strategic significance of doing this we will likely use some house rule that provides all melee units with some limited ability to actually attack flying units. Perhaps that they can always hit on a natural roll of a one or perhaps hitting on their attack value divided by 2 rounded up resulting in a melee unit of strength 1 or 2 hitting a flying unit on a roll of 1, a melee unit of strength 3 or 4 hitting on a roll of 1 or 2, and a melee unit of strength 5 hitting on roll of 1, 2 or 3.
Any thoughts to the above?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:Need rule clarification and some other thoughts
James_Sanheim (#23623),

1- They cannot retreat except with a Town Portal card. The other player cannont simply move out on his turn because the battle happens immediately upon the completion of the Move phase of the player that creates the conflict, thus by the time it gets to the other player's Move phase the hex in question is already cleared of one of the players' pieces by one way or another.

2- Interesting question. I'd say sure, why not? It's destroyed in terms of the player who onced owned it.

3- I think it should definitely still be worth 3 points to you...otherwise it would make no sense to make them worth points at all - the victory conditions could have just been lowered by 3 points for everyone instead.

4- It doesn't make sense, actually, and depriving someone of resources is an important part of the game.

5- It's your game - feel free to unbalance it however you wish.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Sanheim
Canada
Coppersands
Saskatchewan
flag msg tools
badge
You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of discussion. - Plato.
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Need rule clarification and some other thoughts
Octavian (#23637),
Hi there:
Hey, thanks for the reply. Man, I missed that part about battles being resolved after each player's move phase. We were playing that battles weren't resolved until all players moved. Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.