Eldritch Horror» Forums » General

Subject: The Eldritch Horror A-Z Challenge! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
goo The Eldritch Horror A-Z Challenge! goo
(From Abhoth to Yog-Sothoth, from Agnes Baker to Zoey Samaras, the challenge is on!)

The Rules

1. Play a single game versus each of the existing Ancient Ones in alphabetical order (drawing a random Prelude card).
2. Use a team of 4 investigators beginning in alphabetical order.
3. If an investigator dies or goes insane, replace that investigator with the next investigator in alphabetical order.
4. If you lose a game, replace all 4 investigators with 4 new investigators in alphabetical order.
5. If you win a game, use your existing team of 4 investigators to begin the next game.

Victory or Defeat?

Complete a full game -- win or lose -- against each of the Ancient Ones by the time the next Eldritch Horror expansion is released, without running out of investigators.

Log Your Plays

Log your plays and share your progress in this thread by following this template:

Ancient One: [ancient one name]
Prelude Card: [card name]
Investigators: [list of 4 investigators]
Journal Entry: [short description of the play-through or memorable moment, including any investigators you had to replace during the course of the game.]
Outcome: ['Victory!' or 'Defeat!']

Example:

Ancient One: Abhoth
Prelude Card: Dark Blessings
Investigators: Agnes Baker, Akachi Onyele, Charlie Kane, and Daisy Walker
Journal Entry: Agnes died miserably, Akachi ran around in circles, and Daisy was Clueless™ while Charlie did was Charlie does and carried the entire team. Dexter Drake was a welcome addition to the team as she ended up solving 2 of the 3 mysteries by the end.
Outcome: Victory!

***You do not have to log every single play individually as a new reply.***
***You can enter them in batches or wait until you've completed the entire challenge and combine it all into one massive post.***

The Scoreboard

This is mostly a self-challenge for you and/or your group to complete. But if you complete the challenge, you'll be able to compare yourself to others based on how many investigators were used by the time the challenge was complete.

As people complete the challenge (or fail miserably), I'll compile all results in 2nd post in this thread.

Notes

1. As of right now, there are 11 Ancient Ones and 36 investigators. This means you will have to defeat a minimum of 2 Ancient Ones in order to complete the challenge. This minimum increases as individual investigators die or go insane during the course of each game.
2. Given the currently expansions, everyone will begin with Abhoth vs. Agnes Baker, Akachi Onyele, Charlie Kane, and Daisy Walker.
3. The challenge ends when a new expansion is released since there will be new Ancient Ones & investigators to plug into the list from A-Z. (Then a new challenge begins? With every new release, the challenge gets padded with more content.)
4. Pictures are encouraged.
5. House Rules should be made public. Examples: Stacking of the Mythos Deck or cherry picking Prelude Cards.

Quick Reference A-Z

Ancient Ones
1. Abhoth
2. Azathoth
3. Cthulhu
4. Hastur
5. Ithaqua
6. Nephren-Ka
7. Rise of the Elder Things
8. Shub-Niggurath
9. Syzygy
10. Yig
11. Yog-Sothoth

Investigators
1. Agnes Baker
2. Akachi Onyele
3. Charlie Kane
4. Daisy Walker
5. Dexter Drake
6. Diana Stanley
7. Finn Edwards
8. George Barnaby
9. Hank Samson
10. Harvey Walters
11. Jacqueline Fine
12. Jenny Barnes
13. Jim Culver
14. Joe Diamond
15. Leo Anderson
16. Lily Chen
17. Lola Hayes
18. Mandy Thompson
19. Marie Lambeau
20. Mark Harrigan
21. Michael Mcglen
22. Minh Thi Phan
23. Monterey Jack
24. Norman Withers
25. Patrice Hathaway
26. Rex Murphy
27. Silas Marsh
28. Sister Mary
29. "Skids" O'Toole
30. Tommy Muldon
31. Tony Morgan
32. Trish Scarborough
33. Ursala Downs
34. Wendy Adams
35. Wilson Richards
36. Zoey Samaras

***For some, 11 games is nothing and will be completed in a month.***
***For others, this will be more games than they've played in the past 6 months.***
***Either way, I thought I would create an excuse to get this out on my own table***
***And it might be fun to see how everyone else does in the end.***

GOOD LUCK!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
goo Scoreboard goo

Challenger: Hastur666
Last Ancient One: Rise of the Elder Things
Investigators: Skids, Tommy, Sister Mary, Tony and Trish
Victories: 7
Defeats: 0

Challenger: Chefmole
Last Ancient One: Ithaqua
Starting Investigators: Lily Chen, Lola Hayes, Mandy Thompson, Marie Lambeau
Replacement Investigators: Mark Harrigan, Michael Mcglen
Victories: 2
Defeats: 3

Challenger: janovich
Last Ancient One: Hastur
Investigators: Hank Samson, Jenny Barnes, Jaqueline Fine, Jim Culver, Joe Diamond, Leo Anderson
Victories: 3
Defeats: 1

Challenger: Ninja_Bob
Last Ancient One: Cthulhu
Investigators: Finn, George, Harvey, and Jaqueline.
Victories: 1
Defeats: 2

Challenger: DorkPassenger
Last Ancient One: Abhoth
Investigators: Agnes Baker, Akachi Onyele, Charlie Kane, and Daisy Walker

Challenger: FlyingMuttley
Investigators: Agnes Baker, Akachi Onyelem, Charlie Kane, Daisy Walker

Challenger: dcooley
Investigators: Agnes, Akachi, Charlie, and Daisy. Then the next two.
Victories: 0

Challenger: sleaford
Investigators: Agnes / Daisy / Finn
Victories: 0
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ninja_Bob wrote:
2. Use a team of 4 investigators [...]

Revised reference cards or base game reference cards?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
ValentineNyan wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:

I'm going to use all expansions and official rules. To me that means the revised reference cards since they are more recent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slamin Perfect
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:
ValentineNyan wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:

I'm going to use all expansions and official rules. To me that means the revised reference cards since they are more recent.

If you are going with official rules then I'm not sure about the revised cards as they are officially listed as "Variant Reference Cards".
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Slotten
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This sounds fun but I only own the small box expansions. I may try it and log my plays even though it'll be different than those with the full game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Slamin wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:
ValentineNyan wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:

If you are going with official rules then I'm not sure about the revised cards as they are officially listed as "Variant Reference Cards".

That's a good point.

Either way, I'll probably do my first play this Saturday.

We're doomed. ninja

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ValentineNyan wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:

You could do what I do, which is every time you win a game, the next one has to be with the revised reference cards -- every time you lose a game, the next one is with the base game reference cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Little
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
ValentineNyan wrote:
Ninja_Bob wrote:

You could do what I do, which is every time you win a game, the next one has to be with the revised reference cards -- every time you lose a game, the next one is with the base game reference cards.

I like this, although I would do a slight twist: track the win/loss (and thereby choice of reference cards) on a AO by AO basis.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
A little late, but I completed my first game today. Some spoilers below. It went a little something like this:

Prelude Card: Key to Salvation
Investigators: Agnes, Akachi, Charlie, and Daisy.
Journal Entry: After failing ALL of my roles on the first turn, things were off to a bad start. And it didn't help that the first mystery was Child of Abhoth with spawned the Child of Abhoth epic monster on San Francisco; right on top of Charlie Kane. After twiddling my thumbs for a few rounds, things were looking up as I picked up the Lightning Gun and sent my Blessed investigator straight for the Child of Abhoth to complete the first mystery. Shortly after that, Charlie actually fulfilled a Promise of Power defeating all monsters on all gates and closing each of those gates. But even with the board reset, things went from bad to worse. The second mystery was the Spawn of Uncleanliness and I just didn't have enough clues to defeat enough cultists. The 'Beginning of the End' ongoing mystery piled upon my other ongoing mysteries and after a few bad rolls, I decided to throw in the towel. The final group was Charlie, Agnes, Dexter, and Diana and they won't be coming back for round number 2 as I take on Azathoth.
Outcome: Defeat!

I've already gone through 6 investigators and I see close to a zero percent chance of completing the challenge, but I'll see how far I can get. Also, this was my first time playing against Abhoth. I really like the cultist encounters.

And there was this:

Spoiler (click to reveal)
I had no idea that there was an Agreement condition which instantly made your investigator lose all their sanity. That was crushing.

Until next time. goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
At the beginning of my 1st attempt against this ancient one, I realized that I was spawning each gate with 2 monsters instead of 1. I was also doing this during my entire game versus Abhoth. Is it just me, or does anyone else always get one major rule wrong after not playing for a while? Oops. After realizing my mistake, I wiped everything, and my 2nd attempt went something like this:

Ancient One: Azathoth
Prelude Card: Litany of Secrets
Investigators: Finn, George, Hank, and Harvey.
Journal Entry: I fully exploited the Litany of Secrets (doubling expedition spaces) in this game. Expeditions just kept bouncing around the map; juggling expeditions among investigators who were already on the correct space multiple times. I completed 7 expeditions in total, gaining 4 artifacts and advancing the current mystery twice. This is how I solved the first mystery in the first 3 rounds. After that, George (weilding the Crystal of the Elder Things, Ruby of R'lyeh, and Blessed condition, I leaned on him hard. Dark Pacts & Agreements were taken by the others, and George typically used his extra action (from Ruby) for a Blessed Acquire Assets action. Every turn, George just gobbled up every asset he could get his hands on and destroyed everything in his path. The other suffered and Hank was soon lost to a bad Agreement, but he was collateral damage as far as I was concerned. Mysteries 2 & 3 fell in soon after with Doom never falling below 10.
Outcome: Victory!

This was one of the most 1-sided games I've ever played... but not the only one. I usually go for this strategy when I can, and put all my eggs in one basket.

Disclosure: I'm using 1 house rule. I've separated spells into 3 piles (rituals, incantations, and glamours). When I'm told to gain a random spell, I've been rolling a die to determine which pile to draw from. 1 & 2 = Ritual. 3 & 4 = Incantation. 5 & 6 = Glamour. The size of each pile is close, but not equal, so it hasn't been totally random.

I expect my next game to be a little rough. My current team is Finn, George, Harvey, and Jacqueline. None of them have high Strength. It's possible for me to get run over with monsters real quick.

goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools

Prelude Card: The Coming Storm

Start Investigators: Agnes / Akachi /Charlie / Daisy

End Investigators: Agnes / Daisy / Finn

Journal Entry: What a mess!! Dominated by tentacle Rumour. Only one Mystery solved despite Daisy rinsing clues from Arcane Insight. Absolute carnage. 4 investigators dead. Persistent illness. Injuries, madness, disease and dark pacts all round. Absolutely ROTTEN rolling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
(NB - we're house ruling that once a Prelude card has been played, it's then removed from the deck for the remainder of the A-Z campaign)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
I was able to squeeze in a 2nd game this weekend:

Ancient One: Cthulhu
Prelude Card: The King in Yellow
Investigators: Finn, George, Harvey, and Jacqueline
Journal Entry: I feel like I had a strong team, but this was a very frustrating game. With the Harvey & Jacqueline combination, I had almost 2 full characters maxed out on +2 Improvement tokens. They were loaded with items, one of them was blessed, none of my characters dies before Doom reached zero and... I couldn't get past the first mystery. The first mystery was 'Queen of the Deep Ones' which spawns 'Hydra' the epic monster. And to defeat the Hydra, you need to find the 'Sword of Y'hu-Talla'. Doom went from 12 to zero and not a single artifact. There was a point where 3 epic monsters were on the board, gates were spawning everywhere, and I was still able to come back. And still, no artifact. Cthulhu spawned and I called it quits. Very frustrating.

I didn't lose any additional investigators, so I'm not doing too bad in the challenge overall. It was just one of those games.

soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jo Shmo
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
Gonna endeavour to catch up with you bob to make it more of a conversation. Won't be til the weekend mind!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken M
Canada
flag msg tools
Prelude Card: Weakness to Strength
Deaths: Daisy Walker
Journal Entry: Very close game. The strange sightings mythos card prevented resting for a long time with a streak of no reckonings. At the end of last turn, Daisy was dead, Charlie and Agnes had 1 health. Akachi had 2 health and there was 1 doom left on the track.
Outcome: Victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Gibson
United Kingdom
Derby
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thought I'd have a go at this.

Prelude Card: The Coming Storm
Investigators Lost: None (Surprisingly)
Journal Entry: Incrediby close. Spent too much time improving characters and only won due to an "Advance the current mystery" effect which came up as a reckoning effect on a Funding condition during the Mythos phase. Otherwise I would have lost in one of about 3 different ways on the next turn.
Outcome: Victory
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
Wow, you guys are doing better than I did...

Scoreboard updated.

I should really do my Hastur game this weekend. I've never actually played with either Under the Pyramids or Signs of Carcosa until now. Bought them both at the time they came out, just haven't been playing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb

Prelude Card: Cthulhu Mumblemumble

Investigators: Agnes, Akachi, Charlie, and Daisy. Then the next two.

Journal Entry: I thought I had a shot at this, but far too many mysteries that required clues, and with terrible eyeball skills across the board I stalled out near the end on the final mystery. Daisy and Akashi went down due to one of those annoying Mythos cards that are hopelessly broken, and with a horde of Cultists that seemed to show up every ten seconds on the board I dropped ten Doom in two turns and woke up Abhoth. Agnes tried to get a clue on four straight turns and failed every time.

I had been playing with just the Forsaken Lore expansion and losing in frustrating fashion without exception, even using the easy Mythos cards. I finally decided to merge all of the expansions hoping it would make the game playable. I guess that rolling twenty times with nothing higher than a three on a die is going to kill you every time, perhaps I need to swap out the stock dice as they do seem to land low on a regular basis for me. Unless they roll high, then they all roll high.

I'll give this a couple more plays in this challenge, although these "everybody dies!" cards drive me nuts.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was taking on Azathoth with the seventh through tenth investigators. Barnaby died on the third turn due to the usual bullshit Mythos card with no way to recover from health or sanity loss right after losing health to a monster because of a shit roll. And that sums up why I am ditching this game for solitaire as of now. The only time I have enjoyed playing solitaire is with other people, so done with that.

Oh, and even though I took care of two mysteries quickly, the third required closing two gates wEn the omen was active, each of which had gotten two consecutive monster surges. Three more investigators died, bringing my total count to fourteen lost in two games. Here is a photo of the Death Zone that is Antarctica...

Or I would if the fucking iPad had a way to get pictures into this site without an act of God. Yeah, I'm in a good mood today.

I am not that bad of a player, but it is that bad of a game when so many event combinations will kill you with no way to prepare or defend. I've played twenty solitaire games and every single time I lose. In a frustrating and capricious manner.

The game is great with actual people playing. The theme makes for really memorable scenes and hilarious coincidences, like my friend Matt having to shoot his insane father with a shotgun. That usually only happens in parts of Alambama. Solitaire, there is no one to commiserate with, no hilarity, just the frustration of spending more time to set up and tear down a game than playing that might as well consist of trying to roll a seven on a d6. Done.

Enjoy your challenge. I was clearly found wanting.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Davy Ashleydale
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You know the Crown Royal bag that many of us use for the Monster tokens? The bottle that came in that bag is a great companion for commiseration and hilarity.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
randomlife wrote:
You know the Crown Royal bag that many of us use for the Monster tokens? The bottle that came in that bag is a great companion for commiseration and hilarity.

Sadly, blood thinners prevent me from nurturing this particular friendship.

And, while I live in a state with legal weed, there is no way I can retain info for four investigators, much less one, on that relationship.

I am strongly considerizing a die pulverizer, though...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan A
United States
flag msg tools
dcooley wrote:
I was taking on Azathoth with the seventh through tenth investigators. Barnaby died on the third turn due to the usual bullshit Mythos card with no way to recover from health or sanity loss right after losing health to a monster because of a shit roll. And that sums up why I am ditching this game for solitaire as of now. The only time I have enjoyed playing solitaire is with other people, so done with that.

Oh, and even though I took care of two mysteries quickly, the third required closing two gates wEn the omen was active, each of which had gotten two consecutive monster surges. Three more investigators died, bringing my total count to fourteen lost in two games. Here is a photo of the Death Zone that is Antarctica...

Or I would if the fucking iPad had a way to get pictures into this site without an act of God. Yeah, I'm in a good mood today.

I am not that bad of a player, but it is that bad of a game when so many event combinations will kill you with no way to prepare or defend. I've played twenty solitaire games and every single time I lose. In a frustrating and capricious manner.

The game is great with actual people playing. The theme makes for really memorable scenes and hilarious coincidences, like my friend Matt having to shoot his insane father with a shotgun. That usually only happens in parts of Alambama. Solitaire, there is no one to commiserate with, no hilarity, just the frustration of spending more time to set up and tear down a game than playing that might as well consist of trying to roll a seven on a d6. Done.

Enjoy your challenge. I was clearly found wanting.

The games can be played multiplayer or solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Ninja_Bob wrote:

The games can be played multiplayer or solitaire.

Yeah, I kinda got that part. It took me two years to get anyone in my group to play the game at all, to do a challenge like this wouldn't happen unless it was solitaire.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Black
United States
Moraine
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
WARNING: Contains minor Spoilers!

My friend and I started the A to Z challenge yesterday. We got in two games.

We did tweak one thing: for variety, we ran the first 4 investigators versus Abhoth, then ran the next 4 investigators versus Azathoth. Neither of us wanted to play the same 4 investigators for 11 games!

GAME 1: Abhoth vs. Agnes, Akachi, Charlie and Daisy

Result: Win
Doom Track: 7
Prelude: Unwilling Sacrifice

Akachi managed to get 5 Clues from the Hildred Castaigne ally and solved both rumors, which required clues.
Daisy surprised everyone by defeating the Child of Abhoth singlehandedly with a .45 Automatic and a card that gave her a Will bonus. It took her 2 turns but she mopped it and solved the first mystery. With that kind of momentum, the next two mysteries went down fairly easily.

Game 2: Azathoth vs. Dexter, Diana, Finn and George

Doom Track: 13
Prelude: Beginning of the End

Solving the mysteries was largely a team effort, with Diana and George working together to defeat the True Name and Omen of Devastation mysteries. All 4 investigators contributed to the Occult Research mystery.
Dexter Drake, about midway through the game, gained the Lightning Gun and a Shrivelling spell. He used the two to great effect against The Windwalker epic monster, using Shrivelling as an action to soften it up and the Lightning Gun during combat.
We cruised through this game. The only tense moment was when we drew the All or Nothing mythos card. That's the one that makes you discard clues or return a solved mystery to the deck. We needed two clues to defeat it. Luckily, George had just enough clues to save the day.

Game 3: Cthulhu vs. Jacqueline, Jenny, Harvey, Hank and Jim

Doom Track: 4
Prelude: Doomsayer from Antarctica

Jenny was driven insane by the Tide of Despair mythos card fairly early. The first mystery, Threatening Seas took a long time: there were only 6 mythos cards left when we solved it. There were only 2 Mythos cards left when we won. Hank Samson was our MVP, which was completely unexpected. He closed 3-4 gates, killed a Dhole and Cthylla at various points in the game, and was an all-around bad man.

Game 4: Hastur vs. Joe, Lola, Lily, Leo, and Marie

Doom Track: 5
Prelude: Ultimate Sacrifice

The prelude knocked our Doom down to 9 right off the bat. Encounters with the deceased/insane did not retreat doom at all. After the first mythos card, 3 of us were cursed. Lily was killed by The Gaze of Ghatanothoa, which sucked. Ironically, she should have been replaced by Mandy, but Mandy had been chosen to go insane by the Prelude, so Marie jumped in. Before Lily left, she inherited the Key to Carcosa from Mandy's possessions (the prelude gave each of the fallen a random Artifact) and closed a gate. She had also purchased a Double-Barrelled Shotgun, which Lola used to snuff out Rhan_Tegoth, who spawned from the Horror in the Museum rumor, right before the last Eldritch tokens would have been removed by a Mythos card. We managed to keep the gates controlled and pay Sanity for Hastur's reckoning, avoiding Blights like the plague. The Yellow Sign mystery was a pain (pay 2 sanity to gain a madness), but we slogged through it. And came out victorious.

Game 5: Ithaqua vs. Mandy, Mark, Michael, and Minh Thi

Doom Track: 6
Prelude: The Coming Storm

The Prelude was nice: everyone took a clue and focus and improved a skill. Mark solved both the Eye of the Storm and the Crawling Chaos rumors. The Gnoph-Keh Attack was a bad mystery because right before that appeared, Michael lost his Tommygun to a Blight and impaired Influence and Will, cutting us down to 1 strong fighter. There was some tension along the way, but it really tensed up near the end. Mark needed a clue to finish the Supplying the North mystery card. His research encounter required him to take a Dark Pact. He decided to go for it. That Mythos phase, his Dark Pact went off. It required everyone else to gain a Dark Pact and he gained an Agreement. But, the Mythos card allowed the lead investigator to gain an Agreement to advance the active mystery and solve it. We escaped just in the nick of time.

Game 6: Nephren-Ka vs. Monterrey, Norman, Patrice, Rex and Silas

Doom Track: 0
Prelude: Epidemic

This was an EPIC game, in every sense of the word. Epidemic spawned the Child of Abhoth epic monster, a rumor spawned Nctosa and Nctolhu, Cthulhu's spawn, a Zombie Horde appeared at one point and the last mystery featured the Haunter of the Dark.We ended up defeating every one of them. We also killed off about 30 monsters besides, with Tokyo's help. That took a lot of time and effort. By the 3rd mystery, the Haunter of the Dark, we were low on Doom. We realized we were at two Doom and two Blue gates were going to trigger at the end of the round. Norman took out a Deep One and three cultists to get to the gate and then managed to close it. We thought we were safe. Doom went to 1. Then, we saw the title of the Mythos card: Gaze of Ghatanothoa. AGAIN. We only had 1 clue. Patrice, who thanks to a Promise of Power, had max improved all her skills and gained 3 total talents, and was Blessed. She went down and doom went to 0. Nephren-ka awakened! We had three doom triggers and a couple of mythos cards until we were done. We also needed a couple of clues. Norman managed to get 3 successes on a special encounter and paid all of his Stamina but 1 to add to the roll. Monterrey Jack sealed the deal, using every reroll under his power. We barely won, with 1 token on Nephren-Ka and 1 mythos card left (which incidentally was the one where you draw and resolve another mythos card. If you can't, you lose.)

Game 7: Rise of the Elder Things vs. Skids, Tommy, Sister Mary, Tony and Trish

Doom Track: 5
Prelude: Weakness to Strength

The game started out pretty good...always a sign things are about to go downhill in a hurry. We solved the first mystery (Discovery of an Ancient Civilization) in 2 rounds, with Tony advancing the active mystery twice in a row from successful Expedition encounters. Then Skids got a Dark Pact from a (Debt?) condition resolution. Then the Bargain with Nyarlathotep rumor came out. You get two reckonings or you start taking Dark Pacts to forestall your demise. Luckily, Tommy grabbed a clue from a nearby location and got there just in time to defeat the rumor. The Mysterious Disappearances mystery wasn't much of an obstacle. Then we drew An Alien Ritual, requiring us to bring Clues and Allies to Lake Camp and do Lore tests. This took a while. We only had one Ally at the time, 2 clues and our best Lore was a buffed-up Sister Mary at 3. We muddled through it (my friend even discarded a Sled Dog ally for one of the mystery requirements.) One mystery to go...what could go wrong? Tommy Muldoon had a Blight (killed an Ally off to satisfy it...Psychotic Break, I think it was), a Debt (the one where failing causes 3 Sanity Loss) and a Head Injury (Splitting Headache- lose 3 Sanity). He failed every test and he went from 5 sanity to Insane in one reckoning! And I was worrying about the Blight...oops! Add to that: the final Mystery was Invasion of the Elder Things: find the Alien Device and then kill a Crazed Elder Thing. Skids had it in the bag: he went and got an Artifact, which became the Alien Device, had a Double-Barrelled Shotgun, the Mask of Sthenelus (which he had already used to max his Strength and Will with improvements). But a Mythos card knocked his sanity down to 1 and gave him a poisoned condition, so he couldn't rest. Also, there were three mythos cards left in the deck. Curses! Skids did the most selfless thing ever: he gave Sister Mary all of his gear and let her save the world. And she did, rolling just enough kills to finish the Crazed Elder Thing with 1 mythos card left in our deck. Whew! Another close escape!

Next up: Shub-Niggurath

EDIT: 4 investigators (Jenny Barnes, Lily Chen, Patrice Hathaway, Tommy Muldoon) lost so far
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.