$30.00
Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
14 Posts

Scythe» Forums » General

Subject: Played Scythe 3x times now (2p) and i would like to point out some things! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
First of all i would like to congratulate Jamey for having a successful bussiness but more important taking the time to reply to all (or almost all) of it's customers and fan base. For good or for bad he responds and that, in my opinion, makes him a great lider!

I have played Scythe 3 times with my SO and i was handed my ass whooping by her the 3 times and not even close! (some context: she's smart, understands the games\rules but she hardly ever wins me at any game mainly because i have years of board games\video games\M:tG that she doesn't have and that gives me always an edge)She plays this really well and i don't i think i get overwhelmed in everything i can do

Off to the critics!
* Combat! Like i've read someone state the combat doesn't have the epicness of the board\components\theme it seems "lesser"! But at the same time i give it that is tense!!!! If we were allowed to play any number of combat cards (1 per mech\hero involved in combat right?) probably would be better!

* The Hero's\Faction leaders! and this is the thing that "hurts" me the most! They feel stale! Ok every race has an ability i love that! But the hero's seem no different then a mech, ok i can get encounters and get to the factory but that's it! I would rather have some super cool ability per hero that would make him amazing! Sometimes i just leave mine at the factory (after the encounter tokens are almost over).

My question is: Will the expansion address any of this issues? or will only had 2 more classes? Are this issues AT ALL? or i'm just being picky?

Hope Stonemeier Games \ Jamey continue to do the good work they are doing for the hobby! You have a loyal customer here!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:
* Combat! Like i've read someone state the combat doesn't have the epicness of the board\components\theme it seems "lesser"! But at the same time i give it that is tense!!!! If we were allowed to play any number of combat cards (1 per mech\hero involved in combat right?) probably would be better!
Combat isn't supposed to be "epic," as Scythe isn't a war game. As has been often said, often the threat of combat in Scythe can and should be as effective as actual combat. Removing the combat card limit would remove the tactical angle of putting more combat-ready pieces (character/mechs) into a single combat.

Jhonyb wrote:
* The Hero's\Faction leaders! and this is the thing that "hurts" me the most! They feel stale! Ok every race has an ability i love that! But the hero's seem no different then a mech, ok i can get encounters and get to the factory but that's it! I would rather have some super cool ability per hero that would make him amazing! Sometimes i just leave mine at the factory (after the encounter tokens are almost over).
And that's certainly a valid tactic, at least until some opponent comes at you with their character and one or even two mechs and boots your sorry butt back to your home base.

Not only is the Factory the only opportunity to get Factory cards, but its worth at the end of the game means that one player shouldn't be able to just camp there the entire game. If your opponents are letting you get away with that, the fault is theirs, not the game's.

Jhonyb wrote:
My question is: Will the expansion address any of this issues? or will only had 2 more classes? Are this issues AT ALL? or i'm just being picky?
Whether these are "issues" or not seems, for most of the frequenters of these forums, to be a function of whether you like the game in general, and whether the game coincides with the expectations you had for it. If you like the game, then in general these aren't "issues," they're positive parts of the game. If you don't like the game, then in general they're not only "issues," they're further proof that anyone who likes this game is "blind to its faults."

But to answer your question: no, I don't believe that the expansion will change any of the rules regarding combat or the player powers already present in the game. It will add two more factions with their own abilities.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Inno Van
United States
San Francisco/East Bay
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:

Scythe is about 4th generation warfare. The age of body wave attacks against machine guns is long over. Relations with the local residents are more important than tacking up body counts.

Particularly since all of the factions are invading The Factory. None of the factions is a defender that already has support of the locals.

Jhonyb wrote:

* The Hero's. I would rather have some super cool ability per hero that would make him amazing!

Then it is likely you will like Albion and Togawa's special abilitiies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chad Martinell
United States
Des Moines
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:
But to answer your question: no, I don't believe that the expansion will change any of the rules regarding combat or the player powers already present in the game. It will add two more factions with their own abilities.

From the Invaders from Afar post on Stonemaiergames.com - scythe-invaders-from-afar

"To scale up, the expansion includes alternate abilities for some of the original factions."

They will be providing alternate abilities for existing factions, but only for games with 6 or 7 players.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Trevor Schadt
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
chadmart wrote:
They will be providing alternate abilities for existing factions, but only for games with 6 or 7 players.
The changes to those abilities will only deal with the mechanics of a 6 or 7 player game, they will not fundamentally change the nature of player powers, as the OP was asking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ryudoowaru wrote:

Jhonyb wrote:
Whether these are "issues" or not seems, for most of the frequenters of these forums, to be a function of whether you like the game in general, and whether the game coincides with the expectations you had for it. If you like the game, then in general these aren't "issues," they're positive parts of the game. If you don't like the game, then in general they're not only "issues," they're further proof that anyone who likes this game is "blind to its faults."

First of all your "aggressiveness" in this post isn't necessary!

So i will only address the last part of it. I'm not blind and i had no expections on the game! Since i didn't follow the KS nor did i see any run through until i got the game in retail! The "issues" i mention and i call them "none existent" are only feelings that i have when i played the game! Probably because i'm used from playing RPG's that the hero\characters i control have distinctive abilities!

I'm still judging the game! i can tell that i like the "tension" that builds from placing stars and seeing the game ending and not knowing who is in front!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christoph Weber
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I can certainly understand the love for unique hero abilities/a certain RPG feel.
Unfortunately, Scythe is not the game for that. You can look at the mechs and leaders and wish they were used more thematically, but the game just is not designed that way - it's a Euro at its core.
The question if you can get over that disappointment and don't see that as an issue is dependant on whether you still Enjoy the game enough to want to play it again, I think.

If you want more adventures in the world of Scythe and don't mind playing video games, there's a game planned with the world as backdrop. If that's any good, it night scratch an itch Scythe can't.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryan Sanatavicca
msg tools
mbmbmb
Jhonyb wrote:

ADD COMBAT CARD(S) (OPTIONAL): By default, for each of your units involved in the current combat (character and/or mechs), you may tuck 1 combat card from your hand behind the Power Dial. You may do this even if you select 0 power on your Power Dial. The number of combat cards you have in hand is public information, but during combat you may conceal whether or not you’ve used any of those cards. The combat deck contains the following cards:

The rule is you can add one combat card per mech or faction hero in the combat. This should solve one of your play issues since it is the actual rules. Unless you want to add any amount of cards with just one unit in the battle then I can't agree with you on that.

I do agree about faction leaders though seems like wasted movement a lot of the time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Does the game have issues, well yes. It is pretending to be a 4X, and it feels like a child friendly, safe and lack of consequence euro hybrid. I think the watered down/over balancing of each element in the game hurts the overall gaming experience. It has too many parts and they are all a bit, meh. It has Mech's but it's not a combat game. It has asymmetrical elements but not a fully implemented asymmetrical mechanic. It has exploring, but it is just collecting a card that gives you stuff, never a challenge to react to a situation. I don't see the expansion adding or changing anything it terms of overall effect.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten Monrad Pedersen
Denmark
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
I don't see the expansion adding or changing anything it terms of overall effect.

Yeah, the expansion won't change your opinion of the game. It's aimed at those who already like the game and should be skipped by those who didn't like the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joao C L Mendonca
Portugal
Tavira
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
itmo wrote:
Does the game have issues, well yes. It is pretending to be a 4X, and it feels like a child friendly, safe and lack of consequence euro hybrid. I think the watered down/over balancing of each element in the game hurts the overall gaming experience. It has too many parts and they are all a bit, meh. It has Mech's but it's not a combat game. It has asymmetrical elements but not a fully implemented asymmetrical mechanic. It has exploring, but it is just collecting a card that gives you stuff, never a challenge to react to a situation. I don't see the expansion adding or changing anything it terms of overall effect.

I'm not that "pessimistic" about the game! I have a good time building my engine and placing stars, getting coins, uping the tracks! I most probably will buy the expansion after the contents are fully announced
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am just disappointed with Scythe. It has an identity issue, trying to be 3 different games in one, and doesn't seem to hit the mark. It also feels like a step backwards from Jamey's previous games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
romano veronese
Italy
flag msg tools
mb
Quote:
* The Hero's\Faction leaders! and this is the thing that "hurts" me the most! They feel stale! Ok every race has an ability i love that! But the hero's seem no different then a mech, ok i can get encounters and get to the factory but that's it! I would rather have some super cool ability per hero that would make him amazing!

Quote:
I can certainly understand the love for unique hero abilities/a certain RPG feel.
Unfortunately, Scythe is not the game for that. You can look at the mechs and leaders and wish they were used more thematically, but the game just is not designed that way - it's a Euro at its core.

A question: imagine a variant where(may be using 2 encounters without use any option od the encounter) The charachter could use one of the adversary mech ability (in solo combat to not be too much strong ) or for movement for all his faction.
Do you think that add this ameritrash option to the euro core of the game could change in worst ? Overall is just use two actions, pay the cost of 2 encounter to have 1 ability of Mech .
For example you can decide to win without Mechs, but you need speed 2 or riverpass.
The story is that charachters go to factory to find new technology.
Why not looking for it in encounter too ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Ferguson
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
buondiavolo wrote:
Quote:
* The Hero's\Faction leaders! and this is the thing that "hurts" me the most! They feel stale! Ok every race has an ability i love that! But the hero's seem no different then a mech, ok i can get encounters and get to the factory but that's it! I would rather have some super cool ability per hero that would make him amazing!

Quote:

A question: imagine a variant where(may be using 2 encounters without use any option od the encounter) The charachter could use one of the adversary mech ability (in solo combat to not be too much strong ) or for movement for all his faction.
Do you think that add this ameritrash option to the euro core of the game could change in worst ? Overall is just use two actions, pay the cost of 2 encounter to have 1 ability of Mech .
For example you can decide to win without Mechs, but you need speed 2 or riverpass.
The story is that charachters go to factory to find new technology.
Why not looking for it in encounter too ?

It makes sense in a way, as going to the factory is meant to unveil some amazing lost secrets, when in fact it just gives you more of the same, or rather the same actions just in a different order.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.