$20.00
Recommend
 
 Thumb up
 Hide
7 Posts

Commissioned» Forums » Rules

Subject: Some questions after the first play rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
So we just got the game and got it to the table last night after looking over the rules and watching the tutorial videos.

Even then we had a few questions drop up before and during play:

1) we didn't play with John, Paul or Peter because we weren't confident that we could implement their apostle abilities correctly.

Peter: Are we correct that the only effect that Peter has is that all of his apostle cards are worth 2? This seemed straight forward, but we decided that we wanted to check first because the text could be interpreted in other ways. It could mean that all cards he purchases have a cost of 2

John: Does John's special ability mean that player s can only pull cards of value 1 from their discard deck? And the second part means that his apostle cards have a value of two during maturation, correct? It would have been much more clear if the text was some how formatted to clearly indicated that the two sentences are not related, but separate abilities of the apostle (which is how I think it should be read).

In general we felt that the "Card are 1 faith point." on the apostles descriptions, when that was what was printed on the cards, was very misleading since it sent us off looking for an exception to the rule - Why mention it if it is clearly stated on the card itself unless something is changing sort of thing... But this is really only true for John and Peter.

Also during play we ran into a few questions:

1) how do you know if a trial or other card if for an invidivual church or a region. We decied that any card the doesn't explicitly state that it applies to a region applies only the the church where the elder resides.

2) Barnabas (me) was in Antioch and a mission stop was in place. I was the Elder and the Trial card I pulled was the one with 2 mission stops on it. The card did not mention region, so we decided that that meant adding 2 additional mission stops to Antioch (for a total of three). Was that correct? If not, what would have been the correct thing to do?

3) If a church has 1 regular member and you pull a card that reduces by half, rounding down, then that church is extinguished correct? That is how we played it.

4) if a church containing an apostle and/or missionary and/or lay members and also which has a mission stop on it is hit by a scatter trial. In this case, can the apostle and/or missionaries, when moving to an adjacent spot (there is no stipulation that an adjacent spot already has a church) perform what would otherwise be mission move? This seemed to us to be a potentially hidden benefit that would encourage an apostle to keep himself and a large church on the fringe when possible to gain 'bonus' mission churches for free.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:


Peter: Are we correct that the only effect that Peter has is that all of his apostle cards are worth 2? This seemed straight forward, but we decided that we wanted to check first because the text could be interpreted in other ways. It could mean that all cards he purchases have a cost of 2


You got it right: Peter's cards serve no other purpose than being worth 2 Faith points.

Major SNAFU wrote:
John: Does John's special ability mean that player s can only pull cards of value 1 from their discard deck?


No: he can discard any cards he wants from his discard deck. The 1 refers to the number of Faith points his card is worth.

Major SNAFU wrote:
And the second part means that his apostle cards have a value of two during maturation, correct?


Incorrect. One John card per Mature phase may be used to buy a 2 point card.

Major SNAFU wrote:
1) how do you know if a trial or other card if for an invidivual church or a region. We decied that any card the doesn't explicitly state that it applies to a region applies only the the church where the elder resides.


Correct.

Major SNAFU wrote:
2) Barnabas (me) was in Antioch and a mission stop was in place. I was the Elder and the Trial card I pulled was the one with 2 mission stops on it. The card did not mention region, so we decided that that meant adding 2 additional mission stops to Antioch (for a total of three). Was that correct?


Yes.

Major SNAFU wrote:
3) If a church has 1 regular member and you pull a card that reduces by half, rounding down, then that church is extinguished correct?


Incorrect. Rounding down from 0.5 equals zero: you lose nothing.

Major SNAFU wrote:
4) if a church containing an apostle and/or missionary and/or lay members and also which has a mission stop on it is hit by a scatter trial. In this case, can the apostle and/or missionaries, when moving to an adjacent spot (there is no stipulation that an adjacent spot already has a church) perform what would otherwise be mission move? This seemed to us to be a potentially hidden benefit that would encourage an apostle to keep himself and a large church on the fringe when possible to gain 'bonus' mission churches for free.



Correct.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks for the replies - but I have a of follow-up question:

John:

The Apostle card definition under John (page 4) states that All apostles may remove two cards from their discard pile.

I need to clarify the he ans his statements in your answer.

Any and/or all apostles may remove two cards from their discard decks when this card is chosen, correct? Since it doesn't say "up two" am I correct that if an apostle takes the option, he must remove 2 cards? It is no card or two cards only?


It would have bee very helpful to have the qualifier of per maturation phase in the second part of John's apostle card description.

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew MacLeod
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
There are twelve of us, Sire, and I place all the resources of my people unreservedly at your Majesty's disposal.
mbmbmbmbmb
Major SNAFU wrote:

John:

Any and/or all apostles may remove two cards from their discard decks when this card is chosen, correct?


Correct.

Major SNAFU wrote:
Since it doesn't say "up two" am I correct that if an apostle takes the option, he must remove 2 cards? It is no card or two cards only?


Incorrect. On the card itself, it says "up to two".
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Okay and thanks for the help!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick Lysaght
msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks to Andrew for his responses! I have been unavailable. I don't have anything to add! So nice to see a community building around Commissioned!
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Blakely
msg tools
mbmb
Thanks again to Andrew.

Patrick - we really enjoyed the game although we had to stop early due to the first day of school the next day.

Regarding my original point 3. We all read this incorrectly (and we play a lot of different board games).

We read it as you take the current pop in a church, divide it in half and round down and that is what the new population of the church is. Therefore 1 divided by 2 equal .5, which round down means 0 people are left in the church.

We did not read it as , but now we see based on Andrew's explanation that the actual formula is:

Original population - (original population *.5 (rounding down the result)).

i.e. 1 - (( 1*.5) round down)= 0)

1-0 = 1

But it was a good game and engaged us. Of course, we extinguished two churches needlessly - but it added to the tension.

Our overall opinion was: this is a good game and will see the table often. (and we need to figure out how to expand much more quickly).

A great game for we don't feel like going head to head. Won't overtake Mice and Mystics for us - but may nudge out Ghost Stories....

 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.